Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is your Religion?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: What is your Religion? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I studied religion in college, and leanred to appreciate the many different religions in this world. For that reason, I am very curious what religions are represented in this forum.

Of course, I know religion is a very sensitive topic. For that reason, please do not say anything nagative about other people's religion. It isn't against the rule per se, but for the purpose of this thread I'd like to avoid hostile communication.

With that said, about my religion. I am secular humanist, which is more commonly known as "atheist." I prefer being called a secular humanist because "atheism" literally means "belief in no god." Not all religions believe in gods, so "atheist" doesn't adequately describe my choice to not ascribe to any religious faith. I am not anti-religion, but I personally do not, or am incapable of believing in religion. Although my mother's side of my family is a familyof Buddhist monks, and my father's side family name is "Pastor," I was raised without any particular religion, and I naturally became secular. However, I grew to become interested in religion because most other people do believe in one religion or another (in some cases, in more than one religion). I believe religion is a necessity for society as a whole, and am always intrested in learning other people's perspectives.
Fragola

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um... *steps up nervously* I guess I shall go first unless someone else posts before me. Then I'll be second! ^_^;; Anyway, I'm Christian. Did we need to specify it more? Well, anyway, I guess you could say I'm a more "liberal" Christian or something. I guess to better explain what that means (though I guess I really can't), the way we practice it we don't really go around knocking on people's doors and things like that. Rather, if someone has some troubles, we tell them how our beliefs have helped us and that they're welcome to try it if they wish to. But there's definitely no "forcing" or hammering anyone over their heads with any books. ^_^;;; Sadly, it seems that that's what a lot of people imagine these days when they think of Christians. So here is a representative of that side of the spectrum. ^_^;

Sorry if that was kind of jumbled and confusing :?
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... I'm a Muslim. Probably the only one on the boards.

Although, I'm not a very good Muslim, I am a firm believer of Islam in some cases. I don't agree with a few of its harsh rules and find that it is those rules that give us a bad name. That and those Al-frickin Qaeda.

Sorry! Didn't mean to try and turn this topic into that of the current world events! Oh well... I respect every other religion.

-Yuber

Last edited by Gaara on Thu May 20, 2004 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Though not a religion, agnosticism is what I practice on a daily basis. As much as I wish I could place my trust in a supreme being, I just can't do it (much to the chagrin of my family).

I did go to church a few times in my life, but it was so late into my teens that I was just baffled by Catholic customs and routines during mass.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually Yuber, there are quite a huge number of Suikoden fans in Kuwait and in the United Arab Emirates, so I won't be suprised if I see more people here from largely Muslim nations.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm Roman Catholic. *blush*

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Actually Yuber, there are quite a huge number of Suikoden fans in Kuwait and in the United Arab Emirates, so I won't be suprised if I see more people here from largely Muslim nations.

Yes, I seem to know quite a bit of people who are Suikoden Fans in United Arab Emirates (where I dwell), but I wouldn't exactly say it has a "huge number" of Suikoden fans. I found it really bizarre that none of my North American or European friends had even heard of Suikoden, the only people that know of it are the locals of UAE... who all seem to be "RPG-affiliated"...

-Yuber

Last edited by Gaara on Thu May 20, 2004 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galt

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was raised as a Roman Catholic, I don't believe in any religion or god though but I believe in the possibility that some higher being created everything.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: None Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have a religion, I forget iwhat it's called but there's a name for that :-P, I sorta have a make-shift religion. I don't really believe most of the stuff in the Bible, and I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. But I do beleieve in some form of 'God'
Deloseth

Spectacular Slackers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm an agnostic as well, though I was raised as a Roman Catholic. My extremely religious grandma would hate to see this post.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm non-denominational, meaning i believe, just not in what the various churches preach-most present views i disagree with on varying levels.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Masamune

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a Roman Catholic/Christian. I believe in God and in his son Jesus

Last edited by Masamune on Fri May 21, 2004 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leo

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christian. I just see it as the most logic way, though I don't think god cotrols us and our destinies completely, I think we all ahve our own way, god sees many paths, but watches us in the one we choose. I do think some of it is flawed, there has to be a few mistakes in any religion, but the fact is is that Christianity just goes over well with me, Church is fun, and I'm done.
nightrider

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Am I the only Jew here?
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm... Thiest, I guess... With possible Universal Unitarianistic tendencies. I don't believe in any one faith, although I believe in a supreme being. I am not Christian, because I don't find any Christian faiths accurately represent my beliefs. I was raised a Mormon and while I no longer believe in everything Mormonism teaches and I don't think the Book of Mormon is a 'literal account' I do think it is an inspired word and it contains a lot of truth. Similarly I believe everything from science, to astrology, to buddhism contains elements of truth. I try to reconcile my beliefs logically with science, too, but take things beyond faith if science is yet to say anything on the issue. I look for truth in all things that I feel are 'inspired' in some way or another. I guess it goes with my Sagittarian nature.

As for Christianity in general, I still believe that Jesus is one of the greatest men to have walked the Earth, although I am not entirely sure whether or not he was son's God who atoned for the sins of mankind or whether he was just a great and inspired guy, maybe as I progress in my personal faith I will be able to draw some conclusions on the issue. I am very liberal in almost all my thoughts and think experience is an important part of life, both good and bad experiences. I don't particularly believe in karma as a supernatural thing so much as believing that being a jackass makes people want to hurt you. I am dubious about supernatural things just as ghosts, psychics and the like; I don't disbelieve in them, I just like having some kind of evidence, whether emotional or something more solid, if it seems to work however, I will take it on faith, even if I don't understand how it works.

Pretty complex, but pretty simple, too, because I just believe what I want to believe and what I feel is "right" instead of letting any particular religion dictate to me their version of "truth". I seek my own answers, factually first and then through faith and "prayer". I don't care where something came from, if it rings true in my head and in my heart, then I consider it "inspired" and try to work it into my current beliefs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: