Suikoden United and Illusional Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11326166 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Steve Irwin, the famous Australian "crocodile hunter" was killed by a string ray during a diving expedition.

AP report--

Quote:
BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.
ADVERTISEMENT

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver's death.

"The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest," Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

Last edited by Vextor on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't say I ever particularly liked him but it's still a sad thing, especially when he leaves two kids behind. He also did a great deal in "advertising" Australia overseas, even if it was incredibly stereotypical.

From what I've read nearly no one dies from stingrays but they think that since it was in the chest it caused a cardiac arrest.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crikey ... Well, I saw this posted on another website and I am surprised it is here already too. News travels fast, I guess. All I can really say is that the guy was popular around the world and that I'm sad to know that he died. He was a very entertaining man. With all the crazy things he did, it's no surprise that he was killed, but I didn't think he would go this way.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never thought to check about that in this forum!

I really liked him to be honest. I thought his personality was great and he had a way of grabbing the attention of the youths (like me) who really wouldn't have watched nature programmes otherwise. He got me into watching quite a few documentaries due to his compelling style.

I've been swimming with stingrays before, but the ones I was with were very tame and used to human visitors. It's a great shame! May he rest in peace!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've rarely watched any of his shows, but that still wasn't a way to die, not that there is a good way to die exactly but this is really a pity...

I hope his family is coping with this, but with his job, something was bound to go wrong, so they must have being emotionally prepared, as emotionally prepared someone can be about these things...
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow that is news,a tv personality like him who handles crocodiles killed like this,that just goes to show you how strange things happen,to even famous people with dangerous jobs,i'm sadden by this news and shocked as well.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always assumed he was indestructable, this is a bit of a shock. He was really one of the only people who could make nature documentries that I could watch, the rest would look at birds, while Steve Irwin would wrestle with crocodiles while shouting "Crikey!", I will miss him, and I know others will. :( I think we always knew he'd never die of natural causes, he was a real adventurer.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't been this upset since Mr. Rogers died.

A stingray? Man. That stingray should be put on trial for murder. Sure, Mr. Irwin portrayed himself as kind of crazy, but he was still a human being, with a family. His work wasn't easy, but he did a lot of good for people and animals all over the world. In a way, he always put others before himself, and he was one of the more respectable "pop icons" out there. He does a lot more for others than Paris Hilton and about fifty million other celebrities.

If Oprah goes next, I think the world will be swept with riots.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
I never thought to check about that in this forum!

Neither did I. My bad!
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never watched his shows or went out of my way to see him in anything, so I'm honestly not that well versed in his life work, but I always respected him for putting every cent he made from Crocodile Hunter into conservation. I also respected his dedication to loving animals, no matter how dangerous they were, but also that he seemed to know the risks associated with say, being best friends with a crock, or a copperhead and what what. His walking Aussie stereotype shenanians made me somewhat wary of him, but honestly, he was probably the most recognizable animal conservationalist alive and probably did teach more people about animals - even and, perhaps, especially about - dangerous ones than most animal conservationalists every have.

Who I really feel bad for, though, is his widow. Like I said I've never really followed their show, but just from seeing them from time to time on shows and things I've always gotten the idea that they were very much in love with both one another and their work. How truly horrible for her. My sympathies to both her and their children. I can't imagine how brokenhearted she must be right now.

And, just...oy...a Stingray barb? Of all the animals that could kill you in Ausalia, that just seems like a really freaky accident. I mean, a stingray? Honestly.

At least he probably went out quickly in the way he would have wanted to, doing at he loved. Still, it's got to be a pretty cold comfort to his loved ones, if any.

For those interested, Animal Planet has a forum for people to pass on their condolences to the Irwin family if you'd like. I'm linking to the article with the link in it rather than to the forum itself as the link mentions due to the outpouring support, it can be slow loading. This is the direct link in the forum itself for those interested, but 2 attempts to load it on my end have ended in failure, so...good look loading it.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just heard about Steve Irwin just before I came into Tinto's boards this morning. We've discussed the issue in multiple boards, and they too feel the loss. That's a really sad state of events. No one was more hands on than Steve, and it's a tragedy that he won't be able to grace us with his presence. People were split on his character, but no one ever questioned his dedication to his field of study. I'd like to see anyone try to do the same stuff he did.

The only minor consolation, if any, is that he did what he loved to do until the end. Not many can say that they lived their life in such a way. He was certainly blessed. And as mentioned by Sophita, I feel bad for his family. I'm sure they were torn by the risky life that he led, but I'm sure nothing could have prepared them for what happened.

Right now there are news reports from CNN and other providers recognizing the late Crocodile Hunter. They're showing a lot of his old footage, and they're even showing blogs dedicated to his memory. I'm happy about that. I always thought that his fandom was a minority. A lot of people I know don't like watching stuff like Animal Planet, CNN, or Discovery. They're more into their music and MTV (I'm not making that up, they really watch that network with an obsessive passion)

But seeing so many tributes confirms that many people respected what he did and will always be remembered. So people can find solace in that, at least. Maybe everyone will follow his influence and give all they have for what you love to do.

You know the creepy thing about this to me is that I was in the Long Beach aquarium on Saturday with some friends. And the one thing we did over there was to pet the sting-rays (barbs were cut off.)

68022 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is really depressing. . . When I first found out about in the morning, I tried to brush it off, it just didn't seem possible to me at the time. But when I saw the same news on several other places I browse, and the Animal Planet's main site, my heart sank. I never watched his shows on a regular basis, but from what I saw, one can easily tell that he was strongly dedicated to his work. The stuff Steve did was crazy, but he did know what he was doing. I recall watching a moment when Mr.Irwin did first-aid on himself, but I can't exactly recall what the injury was.

I can't help but remember one particular show where Mr.Irwin, and his wife were in some desert, looking for diamondback rattlesnakes. They were having a very good time with big smiles on their faces, and the excitement in their voices when they actually found some. I feel so bad for the family, especially with how close they were. In the show based around his Zoo, seeing his young daughter help the staff with smaller tasks, and her excitment in seeing the animals and her dad work. Of course she wasn't always at the Zoo, but it was still very cute. The staff at his Zoo was also like a tight-knit family filled with people who were extremely attached to the animals they worked with.

With all of these things in mind, this is very, very sad news.
R.I.P Steve Robert Irwin
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stingray barbs are almost never fatal. The documentary was about "Deadly animals" that could kill.

The irony of this is incredible. It's a very sad thing, especially because Steve Irwin was an extremely dynamic media personality. I was playing WoW when I heard this, though, and many people were poking fun of him on the forums. One person was saying that he hoped that it was one of the crocodiles that he hunted that got him. Of course, Irwin never actually "hunted" crocodiles as prey, although jumping on top of them isn't necessarily being nice to them, either. Still, he could hardly be called someone who treated animals inhumanely.

This is very unfortunate news.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stingrays are almost never aggressive. Only when they feel personally threatened or scared do they act in self defense. The venom that they use would never kill a person, but it does inflict a great measure of pain. While the barb on the end of a stingray's tail is pretty dangerous on a 100kg stingray (the one that killed Steven), the main factor in this man's death was that the barb struck him and pierced his heart. When those with the Crocodile Hunter at the time noticed Steve 'jump' in the water, they knew something was wrong. He was rushed to his boat nearby and then to shore where emergency services were located, and during this time he was only semi-conscious. They failed to revive him and he was shortly after pronounced dead...

That's just a terrible and scary way to die. While still semi-conscious, the pain factor due to the stingray's venom would have been severe... And the poor bloke was only 44, much too young to leave this world. I've watched Steve Irwin's documentarys and programs from time to time, and he only lives in the State above mine in Australia. I was only just near his Zoo in Queensland when I was on holidays a couple of months ago. Terrible, just terrible. He really was loved by many around the world, and the tributes just started pouring in like wildfire as soon as everyone had found out about this tragedy.

Leaving behind his children who are only so young also makes this hard to think about. This news was hard to believe when I heard it on my way to work yesterday. Though I have no liking towards the Prime Minister of Australia, he did have some nice comments to offer about Steve and his family. Rest in peace, Reptile Man.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He really wasn't my cup-o'-tea at all...

It's kind of funny to think that this summer both my father and brother went diving with sting rays... it had to have been a freak accident, though, as they're not prone to strike out at anything by nature. Something would have had to have startled one of them or bumped into him pretty hard. :/

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: