Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Royal family name
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which name do you prefer for the Falenan royal family?
Falenas
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
Farenas
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Royal family name Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

READ THIS BEFORE VOTING IN THE POLL!!!

So I'd just beaten a replay on V and thought I'd look through the credits and see if any VAs were listed. As the motion actors were getting named, I noticed that there was a last name listed for Lysmleia. But instead of Falenas, it was Farenas (with an r). Thinking it was a typo, I watched the credits again recently to see if Arshtat's was different, and found it to be Farenas as well.

As far as I know, the royal Falenan family's name has never actually been confirmed in English, so I decided I would get it confirmed by Konami. Well, there's no email addresses listed anywhere that seemed relevant, and I tried contacting the admin of Konami RPG Stars and he said the "producers are too busy, so he can't give out any contact info."

Well, we're in a dilemma now. Do we stick with the more sensical Falenas spelling that we've been using for over 6 months now, or should would go with the apparent "official" English spelling. Personally, I'm up for switching to the r version seeing as we rarely get actual official names in Suikoden like this, and the r makes it more than just the nation's name with an s added.

So, here's what I'm proposing. Since Konami isn't going to confirm the spelling anytime soon, I say we as a fan community decide which name we want. GS (the admin of Konami RPG Stars) said a challenge will be held in the future where we can ask the Suikoden/Konami producers questions, but no info on when or if they would even answer the question for sure. I realize that not every Suikoden fan is here, but it seems like most of us here are dedicated fans who actually care about this sort of thing. So, vote in the poll for the name you prefer, and hopefully others will accept this as legitimate :D. And if everyone thinks this is a waste of time, well then, just let this topic die...

EDIT: Forgot the poll, lol!

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falenas.

"Farenas" is just another example of the l/r error in the romanisation of Japanese, although I'm sure a bunch of 'wapanese' will cling to it.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falenas and Farenas both make sense as transcriptions, but considering the name of the country in English is Falena, I think that Falenas is what they intended.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still trying to contact Konami about the official spelling, so I don't know if we should even bother doing this poll. But if it's up to us, then I say we might as well choose ourselves...

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Queendom of...Farena?

Nah, let's keep the Falenas. :mrgreen:

And we're kinda used to it now, so I think it's better to stay that way.

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep Falenas is better as they are easier to say and whatever uwangski said up there :twisted:
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if it's already 9 to 1, I doubt the results will change anymore. This can be ignored now. Guess it was a pointless topic (it seemed like a good idea when I thought of it late one night :D).

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

falena just sounds way better than farenas. it's prolly another error like they did in suikoden 4 with the name of the blinking mirror calling it the glowing hand mirror.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The nation is named for the royal family. The nation is called Falena, the family is called Falenas. Like John said, translation error. I hope nobody gets attached to the R spelling.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hyuga

Wanderer

2519 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most Japanese people can't pronounce the letter "L" properly. That is why they use the letter "R" in replacement for the hard to pronounce letter "L". Farenas/Farena is being used in the Japanese version for the Falenas/Falena of the english version so I don't think there is any translation error at all.

I choose Falenas over Farenas because I got used to it. But it really doesn't matter which one is right because they are just the same thing.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Moon Rune. Lymsleia Falenas. Fire Hero. Silverberg. "Georg" being pronounced as "George".

Who give a damn about official translations anyway. Use whatever you want.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do. Canon > Fanon every day. And sometimes, hey, that means accepting crappy translations.

So Farenas it is then.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

"Georg" being pronounced as "George".

Actually, that's a Brittish spelling of the name, and is pronounced and spelled correctly. There is no error there.

And I voted "Falenas". Even if it would have been "Farena" from the beginning, it wouldn't have sounded right. Aside from that, "Falena" in "Moth" in Italian, and it ties to the history of Falena, sort of.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684690 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Screw the translation. Give me Falenas

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion, Farenas is one of the dumbest words I have ever heard.

But hey, I can say the letter L properly. So therefore, I choose Falenas.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: