Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Romance of the Three Consoles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: The Romance of the Three Consoles Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With the upcoming releases of the contraversial new generation systems, nobody knows what's going to happen, people are panicked and confused, and online bitching is at an all-time high.

Here's the situation:

Nintendo Wii: Expected by many to be the "winner" of this generation. They have dozens of new innovations, the best backwards compatibility in history, and a low price tag to boot. But they have one flaw - they are targeting non-gamers instead of gamers. Most gamers are, by definition, lazy. The motion sensors that will probably be used often enough that it will annoy the less active gamers... but this is probably not going to be enough to damage them tremendously, and they most likely will come out on top, especially considering how well innovations and perripherals such as DDR and Guitar Hero have been doing. But if they don't get enough 3rd Party support, it will be impossible for them to win.

PS3: The console most people think will be the "loser" of this generation. They see the $600 price tag and immediately condemn it. However, they do not take into consideration one of the things Sony said when releasing it... that the 360 was selling for over $1000 on E-bay around the time of its release. Considering the cost to produce the system, it would be foolish of them to ignore that kind of opportunity. They will lower the price in a matter of months after its release. February at the soonest, April at the latest, I'd say. Within a year, it'll be going for $250 - $350. The other thing people overlook is just how freaking massive the storage space for that blu-ray is. 60 GB per disc. Let me put that into perspective for you... you know how Oblivion and Morrowwind are hailed as the most immense, detailed games on the market? They are no more than 10 GB each. So one PS3 game can store a world 6 times as large and detailed as that of Oblivion. You could pretty much fit all of Tamriel onto one disc. You could also fit a compilation of every FF or every Suikoden onto one disc. Is that really not worth $500 one time, and $80 each other time? If the game keeps you 10 times as busy as other games, is it not fair to charge just twice as much for it?

X-box 360: Supposedly part of this newest generation, but I have to disagree. It was released a year before any other consoles just for the sake of instant gratification, and was the worst case of failed foresight I've seen since Iraq. In the time between it's release and the other two consoles, they've missed out on some major new developments - specifically the HD-DVD / Blu-Ray. So, what do they have that the PS3 and Wii don't? Halo 3. That's about it. I suppose its "achievements" is unique to the system... but that really isn't enough to let it stand on its own.

So what is my grand speculation for the future of video games for generations to come? It's like this: Wii has perripherials. PS3 has ungodly storage space. X-box has a controller that's convenient for FPSes. And at this point, if graphics got any mroe realistic, it would replace reality as the most lifelike. Unlike in previous generations, where it was "My machine has better graphics than yours," it will be, "My console has more features than yours has." There is nothing more important for a system than 3rd party support. As the systems become more and more unique, third party developers are going to have a hard time adapting one game to fit all three consoles, and will begin taking sides. At this point, the console companies can either try to stay open to all genres and companies going as far as making a specific perripheral just to court a designer for one game, or they can decide to consolidate what they have and focus on maintaining one or two genres' support on each system. This has already begun to happen... for example, a sports game could never make full use of the PS3's immense disc space, and strategy and fighter games would have to go way out of their way to use Wii's peripherials. Eventually, there will be distinct borders between each console, allowing consumers to choose more easily which console they will buy, and will less time wondering "What if?" about third party support or risky productions. The gaming industry won't let itself become stagnant, companies are too ambitious to allow that.

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All my predictions dictate that either the PS3 or the Wii will battle for the top spot.

The reason why the PS3 is so expensive is because of it's built-in Blu-Ray drive. The Xbox 360 didn't have a built-in HD-DVD drive, and the add-on that can be purchased seperately brings the price up to easily match the PS3.

The Wii seems to have garnered much support; mine included. I'll definitely be getting one, probably soon.

Third Party support has been important in this current generation, but all the consoles were so similar that many games could be ported over to different consoles simultaneously. This won't be possible with the next-gen. Perhaps with the PS3 and Xbox 360, but the Wii's controller makes it very difficult to support games which are not made exclusively for it.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, online beep . . . that looks funny to me for some reason. It's like Yvl's making some bird calls.

I recently decided which way to go. Unless something like the next Suikoden game comes out as one of the PS3 launch titles, I'm going to get a Wii first. Unlike Sony's product, it shouldn't destroy my wallet. $600 is way too much to spend on a console for the games that they plan on releasing. I like sports, but I'm not a fan of sports games. And don't get me started with racing titles. You're basically driving around in circles. That's boring to me. If that's what I have to expect, I'd rather wait until it drops to $400.

With Twilight Princess as one of its launch titles, the Wii's games look way more impressive compared to the other consoles. But the kicker was Smash Brothers Brawl. It's not a launch title anymore, but it will be released in early 2007. If this game is made correctly, I figure that (and probably Twilight Princess) will be the reason why I will treasure the Wii forever.

I'd like to get a head start on Smash as soon as possible because I predict it will be one of the most popular games of all time. That game has a very basic fighting system compared to others like Street Fighter, but the best news is that it's online compatible. If the internet connection is built into the Wii like I hear, I expect quite a few people on this site to be avid players before everything is said and done. And if they improve on the game as much as they did for melee, then they'll have an instant hit with all players.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me Sony hasn't done m wrong so far so i will be sticking with them for the time being, though i may also get a Wii aswell, i will have to see what games come out for it.

I think the PS3 is going to be the console for RPGs so that is where i will be since i don't really like many other types of games.

The Xbox360 just isn't for me, i don't like shooters or sports games so there isn't really much point in me owning one.

3rd party support is important and i think Sony will get most of the backing, of course if i'm wrong i will jump over to the consloe that has the games that i want to play, for me it isn't about the console, it is about the games that i want to play.

But if i had to choose i would say that the 360 is going to lose this one.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, I'm getting the Wii and PS3 as well. The only way the PS3 is going to come in last is if developers keep jumping ship before the proverbial ship even sails. The wii is going to do well in the beginning, but the PS3 will likely catch up to it about halfway through the generation.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Microsoft's learnt a bad habit from Sega regarding their 360 release: releasing it early may get you sales, but when the competition comes out you're old and you'll get your ass kicked. The 360 looks like a nice console, but they've jumped the gun and thrown themselves at the idea of an advantage over Sony. Sony's actually going to milk the consumers with it's outrageously crazy price for the PS3, which will limit the consumers dumbed down cheaper version or not. The Wii looks to be very innovative, but I suspect it'll suffer from the same problems as the gamecube, which is being too childish and not having enough technical power or developer support to build an array of games worth playing. As a gamer I'm confused, I'll just go with whatever Suikoden comes out on.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The PS3 will be a long time coming as far as my house is concerned, 600 dollars is far too much for me to consider throwing out on a console for what, to me, amounts to the continuation of the Suikoden series and a few cult games here and there.

The Wii is more affordable and, honestly, I'll most likely find it more fun.

Whether I get a PS3 or not will all depend on the price of the system, possibly second-hand, when Suikoden VI comes out.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than waste my money on a Wii (and I'd shoot my other foot before getting a 360). I have no desire to play another mario game, and I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game since A Link to the Past. Which brings me to the "backwards capability." Awesome idea, if it wasn't for the fact that I can already play them on my computer.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Illegally, and there's zero tolerance for emulation discussion. That's your only warning.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never been a fan of the X-Box. I could care less about the systems themevles. What makes a system, believe it or not, are the game made for the system. That's why I won't ever get an X-Box.

The Playstation 3 doesn't sound too good to me. Undoubtedly, the first games will be games I'm not interested, so I will definately wait for the first price drop, if I ever do end up buying it. 60 GB is a lot, I'll admit, but it's overkill. I will never have the patience to do half of the things in Oblivion, so I won't ever need that much space on a disc. However, it would be cool to buy a disc that contains all of the Final Fantasy games.

I knew Ced would mention Smash Bros Brawl. I will play you someday, Ced. I will! And hopefully they will remove wavedashing, so I'll be able to compete with the better players. So, as you can guess, I intend to get a Wii. It has the best things going for it, in my opinion.

Why Wii? Because Brawl.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me.... People are just saying that PS3 would lose this year because 360 and Wii made a big hit on the world.... but i actually would expect PS3 to be a big hit, probably bigger than 360 and Wii... and i actually love Playstation consoles better as they have easier controls to control and many RPG games especially our one and only Suikoden series existed here too which is great...
So, i will see about PS3 on their first release at the end of this year probably?? :roll: and another thing is they would probably drop their prices to $100-$200 already as they are struggling about the Microsoft release of 360 and Wii :)
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Go 360, I've pretty much hated Sony with a passion when my PS2 broke down after three monthes of use (and no it wasn't my fault I doubt how having it on a shelf with plenty of air, space and non-movement could cause any other system to break.) In fact the only reason I got a second PS2 was to play Suikoden again.

Honestly the PS3 may have this blu-ray junk but it's completely cost-inefficient. Power doesn't mean squat if it's not used which is what will happen.

Wii, will be the winner with 360 close behind and PS3 dead last by a mile.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think half the people who want a PS3 are waiting for it to come down in price before they consider buying it.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll be getting all three consoles by default with the PS3 obviously last, because it is incredibly expensive at the moment and the first batch, if I judge from Sony's past will, most probably be problematic, I will probably be "forced" to buy it when Metal Gear 4 comes out however...

I'm very exited for the Wii and that is because of the new Zelda game, the Zelda series being one of my favorites, I'm only naturally exited, and I will get it probably as soon as it comes out, maybe I should have pre-ordered but not many people want a Wii around here unfortunately so I shouldn't worry...

A put back getting an X-Box 360 at first until more games came out, and then I didn't have the money, then I did but invested them elsewhere, and now I'm looking to get it, hopefully if not by the end of September then at least by the end of October I will...

As for t6he success of each console, well, all I can say is that Sony is not going to have it easy, not easy at all, with Final Fantasy appearing in more consoles than one (Final Fantasy XI on the X-Box 360 and Crystal Chronicles on the Wii), Grand Theft Auto going astray, I can see Sony struggling, they have choked their PSP success themselves by fighting the homebrew scene on the system and that homebrew scene is what is keeping the console floating after all the PS2 and PS1 conversions...

This is one of the times that I can't predict a winner for next gen, no one I think can safely do that, if they get it right it would be luck more than anything else, I'm mostly worried about the "same 'ol' games than the consoles...
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me, I'll be getting the Wii first and the PS3 distant later. The Xbox 360 doesn't catch my eye at all. Because I can play most of the 360 games( I mean the American ones) on the PC.

For Wii, I'm quite excited as I can play brand new games with the new controller. I can't wait to get my hands on the Trauma Center Wii. And the Dragon Quest Swords looks promising too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: