Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Pluto is not a Planet Anymore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Pluto is not a Planet Anymore Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Read here: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Pluto_loses_planet_status

This is a hot news anywhere but I haven't see anyone write about it here.
Basically due to a new planet definition, which are:
Quote:
(1) A "planet"
[1] is a celestial body that:
(a) is in orbit around the Sun,
(b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and
(c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

Pluto losses its Planet status and demoted into dwarf planet status; because Pluto did not met the third criteria of Planet because its eccentric orbit which overlap the Neptune's orbit.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But how do we know it's not Neptune getting in Pluto's orbit? It is bigger, so maybe it's just a bully. :P

The thousands of astronomers that went to this convention could have come up with something more productive to do than re-work nomenclature.

In any case, this has only out-dated textbooks everywhere and ruined pneumonics for MVEMJSUNP.

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Greetings Calupict, what a coincidence,i just mentioned that in Nasa finds a 10 planet thread about hearing about this on tv,it was downgraded.

I just googled astronomy and joined Astronomy.com for it's newsletter,this is a cool topic,so now i can receive newsletters on stuff like this,i love astronomy.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross

Last edited by Lonelion on Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The third criteria seems to be somewhat ambiguous, because there are many other objects close to earth that are not orbiting Earth, such as the often erraneously labled "second moon," Cruithne. Maybe Earth will no longer be a planet.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's why it's ambiguous, so we can keep such puny planets like Earth as in the system.

I say it's about time. Pluto doesn't deserve planet status just because they thought it was one when they first discovered it. Tradition be damned. If there's one thing that should not be constrained by traditions, it's the exploration of space.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I was saying is that the ambiguity might render the earth to be labled as a dwarf planet itself.

And the designation "planet" is merely cosmetic, because grouping something as such and such deosn't really change its nature. People can call the Moon a "gigaphage" or the mooms of Mars as "beanos" and if the IAU approves that, then that's how they would be called. It has no relevance to science other than in the context of what we call them.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, of course. This mess really means nothing and stems from the need of humans to catalouge everything. Pluto is still pretty much the same as it was yesterday or a year ago or a thousand years ago. Calling it a dwarf planet isn't going to make it shrink.

The problem was that Pluto is as much a planet as potentially thousands of objects in the Kuiper Belt and once that was realised we either made them all planets, denied the newly discovered objects planet status 'just because' or try and draw a new classification for ourselves.

Think of it as a retcon of the universe. :wink:
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True John, they mention on an astronomy website about objects in the Kuiper belt that could be classifed as planets if Pluto remained one.

These astronomers seem to have no idea themselves,if man ever gets enough technical advancement to explore space maybe this would answer these questions,i'm talking about manned spacecrafts actually reaching the edge of our solar system and getting a closer look at these objects.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And in the end, what does it matter? Were aliens complaining about their maps being inaccurate? Did they go there and get disappointed? Does Pluto care what we call it?

Astronomers call this a Historical Event, the people that aren't that concerned about planets, dwarf-planets, moons etc unless they're falling towards them consider this to be *shrug* Event. It's not like we're going to have to remake a lot of tourist broucheurs.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing for sure, we need to renew all physics book or astronomy book and all. Also we need to remove from our mind that Pluto is a planet. I hope those astronomers realise the cost to do it.

IAU has several definition of planet candidates. One defenition could have made we have more planets to remember; well they were choosing the one that made us have less planets to remember.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One question: Are dwarf planets still considered planets?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
And in the end, what does it matter? Were aliens complaining about their maps being inaccurate? Did they go there and get disappointed? Does Pluto care what we call it?

Astronomers call this a Historical Event, the people that aren't that concerned about planets, dwarf-planets, moons etc unless they're falling towards them consider this to be *shrug* Event. It's not like we're going to have to remake a lot of tourist broucheurs.

In the end what does anything matter? Why does it matter even if aliens complained? Or if Pluto cared? Why care about anything outside your own range of vision at all, if even that? After that we're all going to die someday, why care about anything at all?

Guess what? Different things interest different people, that's the nature of the world.

Thief wrote:
One question: Are dwarf planets still considered planets?

Not in the traditional sense. That's why we now have eight planets, after all.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, it's a sad loss as Pluto was my favorite planet, but there's new rules for what's considered to be a planet and it doesn't clear the third. I can accept that. It's still one of my favorite celestial bodies. Thems the breaks.

That said, personally for me, I'm just pretty damn jazzed there's an official ruling on what a planet is. It's only 2,500 years or so overdue.

Lonelion wrote:
These astronomers seem to have no idea themselves,if man ever gets enough technical advancement to explore space maybe this would answer these questions,i'm talking about manned spacecrafts actually reaching the edge of our solar system and getting a closer look at these objects.

Well, you try observing an object that's, in Pluto's case, between 4,284,700,000 and 7,528,000,000 kilometers away and see how accurate a glimpse of it you can get. I think manned flights to Pluto are pretty much close to impossible at this point.

I don't think either way the IAU decided things would have mattered much, truthfully; the only planets that we're likely to get much information on in the next few decades are those closest to us.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It takes an unmannecd spacecraft nine-and-a-half years to reach Pluto, btw.

Seeing the planets personally won't do anything unless someone were to actually land on the planet itself, do extensive research, and also bring tons of stuff back to study. As it stands, satellites do a better job of simply observing.

And screw Pluto. Ugly little pl-- dwarf planet.

Go Neptune!

You aren't ever losing your planetary status, my sweet blue friend!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: