Suikoden United and Irenic Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Terry Pratchett diganosed with Alzheimer's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Terry Pratchett diganosed with Alzheimer's Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7141458.stm

This is very sad and somewhat ironic, that someone with such a madcap imagination had been struck down with a degenerative brain disease. I hope as he says he does have many long years ahead of him.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems he's doing well from it. However, things like this can be very difficult to predict. Hopefully he will get his next piece of work out soon enough.

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, Terry is aside from Orson Scott Card my favourite writer and they are both together the main reason why I started to learn English in the first space. Many wonderful things (especially Suikox) I would never have learned without this man's work, ark and sense of humour. I can't say how shocked I am to learn that this man has to suffer under such a thing, which will not alter his life in so many ways, but might also stop him from writing more ingenious books...

The Fool
Gemini

The Fashion Divas

165087 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah me too, i've just started the series and i'm now in his third book Equal Rites ... his sense of humour is really great, very witty and ironic ... i'm feeling kinda down towards that statement ... :(
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope he gets well. It is indeed very ironic to see that an author like him who has quite possibly the greatest wit of any of today's writers was struck by Alzheimer's, even if it appears to have been a rare form. He definitely hasn't lost his sense of humor though, as he did tell well-wishers that the only help he'd accept was from the experts.

As an avid reader and a fan of his books, I'd feel pretty lost if he never wrote any more books, especially since Discworld is rather like something that has become a staple of my life ever since I started reading the series.

Best of luck on your road to recovery, Mr Prattchett, and be sure to tell the disease to bugger off!

As Death would say too: IT IS NOT TIME FOR YOU TO GO YET.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder what effects this would have on any new book he writes? Would it make it better or worse? It is sad all the same to hear he has this. :(
Samakain

93851 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

theres only one thing to say to this news. a qoute from a great hero of mine, one i think truely unscores some of the true instincts inate to the common man

" ! "

Jordan, now Pratchet. whatever vile little god is making its hit list from my bookshelf could you pleeease go to someone elses? hell theres /nothing wrong/ with richard layman, or dean r kootz, and they deserve death, honestly >.>.

In all seriousness, i hope terry gets as well as able, i hope he has man long, long years of good health and memory. Sad thing happening to a man who made more than a few generations laugh, and think with his stories.

Later,
Sa

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if I could live without my daily hopes that Vimes will return for one last chase over the rooftops of Ankh-Morpork, or his knurd-ish attitude towards life. And what about dear Moist!? His adventures were clearly just beginning. It is the Century of the Anchovy after all!

Man Pratchett was one of the first writers I really got into, that weren't required reading for school. I remember the first book of his I read, Guards Guards I had no idea what to really expect as it was recommended to me by a friend. And I mean -hell- even the first freaking 10 pages are hilarious. From then on I was just hooked.

Here's to hoping he writes many more masterpieces!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My mother and I were talking about this the other night, especially since she finally sat down and watched part of The Hogfather that they were playing on TV right before the holidays hit.

It's hard to think that he'd get something like this especially since writing is such good exercise for people diagnosed with Alzheimer's. :/

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: