Suikoden United and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harmonia's Legacy: Will it live up to its hype?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whatever Konami's reasons for not basing a game in Harmonia yet, it seems quite deliberate. It may be that Konami are waiting for the technology to improve, so that they can show Harmonia to us exactly how it should be. That may mean it'll be the final Suikoden, or Suikoden VI. We'll find out eventually, when Suikoden VI is announced.

As for living up to the hype, it depends on the effort that's put into the game. If it's another quick put-together of a game like Suikoden IV, it will not live to expectations. If it's given the care that Suikoden V seems to have (I haven't played it yet), I'm sure that most expectations will be met.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It should. Harmonia is supposed to be the location of the final Suikoden. Konami better end the series with a bang or it could be the downfall of Suikoden's great legacy.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You people type too much, but...

Quote:

We know that they are a nation willing to go all out to achieve their goals

On the contrary. For the recent speculation contest, we at SME came up with the comparison between True Runes and Nukes. And they never used one of those true runes to their potential during the invasion of the Grasslands.

We also came up with the possibility that Hikusaak is a Tenkai. All the requirements fit - He has a true rune, and he gathered people together to create his nation. Along those lines, they could make a game that takes place entirely in the nation that became Harmonia with Hikusaak as the main character.

Also, keep in mind... with the technology that will be available in just a couple months, it is possible to fit the entire suikoden world into one game, but that's something more for a finale.

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Then again we must consider the fact that Konami IS going to milk the series for all its worth...I do not believe Harmonia will be showcased anytime soon at all...

Harmonia is the principle player-cum-antagonist in the Suiko world, if too much of it is shown too early..it would jeopardise the future of the series. Kinda like how Francis Fukuyama says its the "end of history" after the Soviet Union collapsed (Of course he was pretty wrong about that..since the real world is...more complicated but it COULD apply to fictional worlds). An action-fantasy world cannot survive without a recurring antagonist...think Dr Moriarty in Sherlock Holms or Dr Fu Man Chu in those old pulp novels.

Furthermore, the current, imperfect Harmonia generates appealing, mysterious and sometimes dark characters that fit well into the 108 stars system and the overall storyline...think Cathari, Mike, Nash and even Sasarai etc. Harmonia, with its mix of social injustice and imperial ambitions, is the source of such characters in a world where social justice and peaceful dipomancy seems to the making an resurgance (Toran, Dunan, IN and even Falaena)

It would also not be too wise to make a game that shows the founding of Harmonia, since it would probably diverge a LARGE amount of infomation regarding Hikusaak. The mystery surrounding Hikusaak is one of the enduring ones of the Suiko world. His looks, his motives, his ultimate fate and his beliefs are a COMPLETE mystery of everyone out there. While it should be revealed to the players eventually...for the short term health of the series it should not be.

Harmonia's place in the Suiko is to be the siluoette of a woman behind the veil, whose inaccessibility, mysteries and complexity fustrates and entices the player at the same time. That would make the fanbase continue to support the franchise. In the end of the day, Suikoden needs to entertain its fanbase. Allowing the fans to knowing everything there is to know about a world is NOT the way to do so. While it will result in initial eurphoia, it would quickly dissolve into the boredom of knowing every mystery there is.

As for a "suiko-world" game is probably even more far off. It will not happen unless a Harmonia game is made first...or at best it will only happen IN a Harmonia-game. Lets not forget that Harmonia is probably not going to be showcased soon...for reasons stated above.
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't believe Konami is milking Suikoden, nor do I believe they'll be forced to do that anytime soon. I attribute that kind of wording with all the Final Fantasy 7 spin-offs coming out, Mega Man and other games that offer nothing of value to an old series. Sorry, but that wording really bothered me.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm...in retrospect...I think "milking" was a bad word to use...Perhaps "mantaining the mythos" of the Suikoden World is a better term.
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't really milk out the Suikoden series. If they were planning to do that, they should start re-selling old copies of Suikoden II. But no, they only decided to make a few to make the game rare. :P

As for Harmonia and it's capital, I can imagine a city that's bigger than Sol-Falena, but it'll be grandier. If you can't picture anything, just think of a place that would look perfect as the location of the final battle. And it won't be a great game if the final Suikoden (which is supposedly located in Harmonia) is just a mesh of old features of the previous Suikodens. I want to see Harmonia as a totally different place, packed with tons of new things to see. So in my honest opinion, I don't think Konami would be able to match my expectation of Harmonia.

Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harmonia's legacy = Hikusaak's legacy, does it not? I wonder what would happen if he were to die somehow.
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd anticipate a lot of turmoil among the bishops, as many of them tried to sieze power at once.

...Sounds like a plot to me ;)

Perhaps the Circle Rune somehow chooses our new hero/villain!
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or it could vanish entirely a la the Beast Rune. Either way, I somehow doubt that the country would last very long without it; internal turmoil I imagine would at least result in civil war, and if word got out into the rest of the world they'd suddenly become a very big, very tempting target.

I agree, this would make a fascinating scenario for a future Suikoden.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course, there was already a Harmonian Civil War triggered by the rumour that Hikusaak was actually dead. It lasted from 230 to 237 and resulted in the independence of the Scarlet Moon Empire and the Highland Kingdom.

Whether Hikusaak was actually alive or not was not confirmed in the war itself. Dun dun DUN!
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I almost rather hope that Harmonia is never used directly. It just seems like people, myself included, are developing too large of expectations for Harmonia to be the be all end all single greatest location to ever hold a Suikoden at, and there's just no way possible it can be as good as many people want it to be. I prefer the way they've treated Harmonia when they've gotten involved, and that's having them be a behind the scenes instigator. Not fully getting involved, but maybe fanning the flames of conflict and trying to manipulate things behind the scenes. They could very easily bring the Circle Rune into the game without having to actually go to Harmonia, and any other True Runes that they may be hoarding. Just looking at the maps, and basing on how many nations have been revealed SO FAR, there's enough world for a dozen Suikodens easily without having to venture into Harmonia.

But, if Konami is dead set on basing one in Harmonia, I'd hope it's soon before expectations get even higher. As was said earlier, there's no reason why Harmonia has to be the final destination. Why, they could even reveal that there is some nation craftily pulling the strings behind Harmonia, nothing's ever been said that they're the top of the food chain, they just seem that way based on our limited knowledge of the world.

~Uguu!~
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I love about Harmonia is that the possibilities are endless. Who knows what they'll focus on when they finally do decided to base a game in the Holy Kingdom.

I mean there's the People Faction and Temple Faction conflict. Like some of you may know, the two powers are always struggling for dominance. The People Faction wanting equal rights for all citizens as apposed to the Temple Faction who want to keep the status quo. They can focus on that aspect and/or all the civil uprisings that have been sparked by this and the rumor of Hikusaak being dead.

What if we get to play as a selfless People Faction member who wants nothing but to end people's suffering under the Caste System?

The Howling Voice guild are dispatched for assassinations and covert operations. They can focus the game on them and their growing power and influence as well.

Let's also remember that Harmonia is the oldest nation we know of. Let's suppose they focus on the OLD Kingdom of Aronia instead of the already established Harmonia. Or they can showcase the war in which Hikusaak "The Hero" overthrew the Kingdom of Aronia and established The Holy Kingdom of Harmonia. We might even get to play as Hikusaak himself!

Hey we traveled back 150 years for Suikoden IV, why can't we travel back another 300 years? :mrgreen:

Wes wrote:

Quote:

To be honest I don't think we'll see a Suikoden in Harmonia, it's too big, it's stable regardless of it's slavery system and it would completely kill the Suikoden plot.

:| You're kidding right? Harmonia has so much internal conflict it's not even funny. Just think about all the unhappy citizens. We saw only a glimpse of that in Suikoden III with Le Buque being tempted with second class citizenship. What about the slaves? Or the sub-humans? They are just itching to fight back. What if the hero in the game is a slave who rises up to try to take down the Caste System?

There's the countless civil uprisings that I've mentioned. We might even go back to when The Scarlet Moon Empire took advantage of the internal conflict of Harmonia and succeeded from them!

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!! :twisted:

I don't have a single doubt that Harmonia will live up to "the hype" and I can't wait for it!

On the size of Harmonia: I don't see that as a problem at all. Who says they have to go EVERYWHERE? I mean, we don't get to see every single city, every single town or village in any of the games we've played. Remember Chisa Village from Suikoden III? It was one of the main clans yet we never got to see it. Did that make SIII less of a game? No siree bob! Yes, Crystal Valley is HUGE... GARGANTUAN! But that doesn't mean all the other cities of Harmonia are gigantic as well. CV is just the center of the Nation that's why it has to be extremely large.

Elzie wrote:

Quote:

Harmonia for me is the characters I know thus far however. I like Luc and Sasarai, and seeing more of Sasarai is basically my only real need to visit Harmonia. The concept of Hikusaak interests me, but no more than other nations we have yet to visit.

As much as I'd love to see returning characters, falling in love with all new ones is awesome too!

Once more: THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!! :P

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...the thing is that if not everything in Harmonia is seen then the players might feel a little cheated..Especially, since they are not going to visit Harmonia again anytime soon (or ever) after that game end.

It is really pointless to convince each other will live up to the hype or not..Everyone has their own defination of how "hyped-up" Harmonia is and when we finally get to see Harmonia everyone will have their own evaluation if Harmonia lives up to the "hype".

I still think Harmonia should remain as an unseen rival nation..at least until the series has progressed quiet significantly.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Darko17 wrote:
Wes wrote:

Quote:

To be honest I don't think we'll see a Suikoden in Harmonia, it's too big, it's stable regardless of it's slavery system and it would completely kill the Suikoden plot.

Neutral You're kidding right? Harmonia has so much internal conflict it's not even funny. Just think about all the unhappy citizens. We saw only a glimpse of that in Suikoden III with Le Buque being tempted with second class citizenship. What about the slaves? Or the sub-humans? They are just itching to fight back. What if the hero in the game is a slave who rises up to try to take down the Caste System?

There's the countless civil uprisings that I've mentioned. We might even go back to when The Scarlet Moon Empire took advantage of the internal conflict of Harmonia and succeeded from them!

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!! Twisted Evil

Regardless of wether there are citizens "itching to fight back" or not is not so important, Harmonia has a strong merciless grip on them, and have the unhappy people outnumbered and outarmed so much it's not funny. It is stagnating, but that is due to the rune and not due to people, even if this happens because of the Circle Rune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: