Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Improving National Activity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Our nation forum is doing quite fine lately, although there are obviously fluctuations from day to day...I'd estimate...what, 20ish posts on a good day?

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well all that is required to run a nation is a decent 4-5 active members. Harmonia is thriving right now with about 10 regulars (that check in on a daily basis) and a further 10 or so that come and go every few days. It is not unlikely to find Harmonia go up by as much as 100 posts in a day now.

Simply put though, if you don't like the lack of activity levels in your nation and you wish that more people were there to answer and comment on your posts, then do something about it. I came here three months ago into Harmonia which was dead at that point and time. I believe the post before mine was about a month old so the place was D E A D! I took it upon myself to create a few fun games and a handful of good discussion threads. I also PMed those that were once active and made it my duty to greet every newbie that came to Harmonia via PM and invite him/her to introduce him/herself in our forums as well as outside.

At this point and time, I believe that only about 4-5 people that are active within Harmonia right now are older members than I am...which means I've managed to convince 15 newbies to become active!!! I've also encouraged all the Harmonians to welcome any newbie into our ranks and to help each other out as much as we can. If you really wish to help get your nation active, its best to make it worth their while, because nobody wishes to check out boring inactive forums all the time. Spark activity and others will soon follow and soon enough you'll have the steam roller effect moving into motion.

Good luck to all that need a spark in their national activity levels. I'll do what little I can to try and activate the outside forums as much as possible in hopes of helping you all out.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mmmm...Black Fang has a point, but even the best games/ competitions/ whatever won't fix the worst problem most of our members have: real life. Obviously other forums have this problem too...most members don't really have the time to sit back and write 5-10 good thoughtful posts in the nation forum every day. We can try our best, but there's only so much that can be done.

Sinocard wrote:
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, I'm having the same point as Lunarblade's because the problem with Jowston members is that they are online rarely, not that they don't want to be active, but they can't be active because of whatever happened in their real lives.

I've tried by running an IFF, 7 members participated at first, now only 1 posts regularly while another 1 weekly. The rest just disappeared out of nowhere. I kept my share in keeping up the IFF stories, but I can't do it when they're not online to respond. Of course, I'm not blaming them, but I just don't want to give the impression that I whine without trying.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well thats what I'm talking about!!! Don't concentrate on trying to bring old members back as much as welcoming new ones. You'd be surprised how quick new members catch on. I mean, I've only been here for three months and now look at me. Try and PM or E-Mail those within your nation that have had a past of being active but concentrate more on the new members. Make it a habit of sending each newbie a PM welcoming them to your nation. Take the "FAQ for New People" from the Community Forums and modify it so that it fits your particular nation to help them out even more.

Its not just the games....thats only one tiny aspect of it. Create a few threads that provoke some good discussions. Make a thread where New Citizens of your nation introduce themselves and make an effort to welcome them in that thread (as well as the PM). It will take some time and it won't happen overnight but over time you'll get some good members in there.

As far as an fanfiction is concerned....don't count on that pulling in the members. That can be fun to start with but can soon turn into a chore and most people like to do that at their own leisure. Try and come up with games and discussions that would really kick the place up a notch and where people can just come in, read the previous two or so posts and reply to those.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Of course, I'm not blaming them, but I just don't want to give the impression that I whine without trying.

Sigh, I felt that I'm the irresponsible one...
Well Black Fang, as Black Pesmerga had stated before, there's only few member in the Jowston Forum that's online regularly, let's say like BP, Starslasher, me, Kuwaizair, only that. It's kinda boring when you make a good topic and there's only 3 answer posts for one week....(and of course, the forum deadness is also my responsibility as a caretaker leader)

For the games, can you give us the example on what games that you and Saben made in the harmonian forum. Maybe we could try the same in Jowston, adn hopefully it will bring back people

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Well thats what I'm talking about!!! Don't concentrate on trying to bring old members back as much as welcoming new ones. You'd be surprised how quick new members catch on. I mean, I've only been here for three months and now look at me. Try and PM or E-Mail those within your nation that have had a past of being active but concentrate more on the new members. Make it a habit of sending each newbie a PM welcoming them to your nation. Take the "FAQ for New People" from the Community Forums and modify it so that it fits your particular nation to help them out even more.

Oh, of course...we've just had a really nice group of new members, so there's nothing to complain about there. Everything else you've mentioned has been done. Although...I don't know why it's such a big deal anyway, things are actually going pretty well in the nation, though I've been kinda pre-occupied with things lately...

Sinocard wrote:
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:
mmmm...Black Fang has a point, but even the best games/ competitions/ whatever won't fix the worst problem most of our members have: real life.

I guess we Harmonians are just lucky enough to have no real lives, so we're able to ramble on about whatever topics we can think up. ;) I won't go over the Trinity's head and post some of the awesome threads that we've made, because that might be sacrificing an aspect of our nation that is wholey unique to us. So if the Lord Bishop Fang wishes to share some ideas for you all, I'll leave it up to him.

Oh nuts, speaking of real life problems, I gotta take an online test... what am I doing here? :shock:

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scheherazade wrote:
Well Black Fang, as Black Pesmerga had stated before, there's only few member in the Jowston Forum that's online regularly, let's say like BP, Starslasher, me, Kuwaizair, only that. It's kinda boring when you make a good topic and there's only 3 answer posts for one week....(and of course, the forum deadness is also my responsibility as a caretaker leader)

Yes and for the first day I came here I was the only one active in Harmonia! THE ONLY ONE! Runemaster joined the next day and provided some activity, this was the day when I post the Newbie FAQ in Harmonia. On my third day Nutflush and Saben returned (although there wasn't much posting activity by Saben...it was more talk via MSN). On the fourth day we runemaster already eased up with his posting habits and it was really only Nutflush and myself for the day. On the fifth day I became a mod, the code of conduct which Saben and I worked on was implemented and Filipe transferred from the Island Nations. From here on out it was really the four of us (Lord Saben, Sirs Filipe and Nutflush and myself) that kept the forums going and that was better then nothing as far as I was concerned. Soon afterwards I PMed everyone within Harmonia to try and get them to come back but I paid special attention to newcomers. Not many of the old timers came back. As a matter of fact, only Masaya and Kobold made several frequent returns and JNX made a comeback. The rest of the activity is within the newbies.

Like I said before....do NOT rely on your members that you have already but rather on the members that join your nation. The newbies are the heart and soul of your soon to be active nation. PM them and invite them, then welcome them to your nation. Make them want to come back, because many of the old-timers that left probably got bored and sadly do not wish to return and if nothing is changed within your nation that doesn't give them too much incentive.

Ex-Schala wrote:
For the games, can you give us the example on what games that you and Saben made in the Harmonian forum. Maybe we could try the same in Jowston, and hopefully it will bring back people

Like I said before....games are only a part of it. Look at Lord Nuts avatar for example. Thats our good ol' 80's Film and Music Festival. Running festivals and fun games on a regular basis (any games where members can have fun and possibly be rewarded is a good idea). To help you get a move on, here are a few threads that should be a MUST within every nation. You'll probably have some of these but I'll list them anyways.

- National Code of Conduct
- Newbie Guide (take the one in the forum and edit to fit your nation)
- Hi, I'm a new [enter nation name]ian!
- Some things you didn't know about me!
- National Information Thread (where you discuss every FACT about your nation, post everything relevant about your nation)
- Battlefield (discussion possibilities for the suikox battles)
- Birthday Thread (where everyone posts their birthday, cause its always nice to get a few PMs on your day :mrgreen: )
- Interactive Fanfiction Thread
- Fanfiction Signup Thread
- Movies, Music and Sports (this can be one, two or three threads but these can bring some decent discussions)
- Luca Blight (Every nation should discuss our favorite villain....I mean there are so many sides to him) :wink:

With those in place you should most likely add some other threads that include Characters and Places from Suikoden (try and figure out where the style of your nation originated compared to the real world. The Hidden Hamlet of Rokkaku obviously was based on ancient Japan.) Other Game threads are also a good idea and comparing other villains (or heroes....but villains are better) to those of Suikoden is not a bad idea. Sephiroth and Luca Blight have quite a bit in common believe it or not. :P Other Philosophical, Psychological topics are also a good bonus to the nation....such as what do you hope to achieve in your lifetime or something similar.

As far as games are concerned.....I'm trying to get the Harmonian Olympics to become the Suikox Olympics and thus it would give you all yet another thread in which to discuss your strategies and plans for the games but more on that in the future. Other games that MUST be organized by one person should be implemented and if you wish to activate your nation you'll have to sacrifice not participating in some of these. These will usually help you get know one another better. You could just take some of the games already available through the forums and modify them. The perfect strategy one in the Community Forums has been taken by one of our members and completely revamped with a lot of details added such as the location, precise numbers and timing, generals recruit able (you've only enough money for two out of about 8 or so) and so forth. It just demonstrates that you can take an outside game and improve it.

Oh another good one we have is, would you rather live in the Real World or in the Suikoverse and why. The ups, downs and all the other bits. It gets very argumentative in that one. As you can see....anything you think of can be made into a thread. You've cross-dressed before for the Drag Festival....why not make a thread discussion cross dressing....hmm.....on the other hand......that might not attract members. :lol: Scratch that last one!

Nuttz wrote:
I guess we Harmonians are just lucky enough to have no real lives, so we're able to ramble on about whatever topics we can think up.

Bah....speak for yourself!!! :P
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speak for myself? When you're the one with nearly twice my post count?? :mrgreen:

Yeah, that's a pretty good list there, Lord Bishop. Harmonia in a nutshell. (Of course you did leave out two of the best threads in all of SARS, but we'll just keep that a secret, nyuk nyuk!)

Basically any thread where you show interest in other members will become an active haven. Jokes are good ice breakers, as are just basic questions about your interests and hobbies. You may find that you have more in common with other people than you realize and it will become hard to leave your nation board to talk in the other forums. That's pretty much what happened with us, thanks to a great nucleus of members who truly get along well.

Heh, it's funny that I'm on this side of the discussion after I was the one who started this thread so many months ago. Instead of offering advice I really oughta thank all the people here who gave theirs, and also the members of Harmonia who made the nation a great place to be a part of. *whipes tear away* I promised myself I wouldn't cry!

Okay, back to my test, promise....

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flushed Nuts wrote:
Speak for myself? When you're the one with nearly twice my post count?? :Razz:

Oh shut up before I dock you!!! Ah, the beauty of the Harmonian System and the Honour Points hehehe.

Nut Buster wrote:
Yeah, that's a pretty good list there, Lord Bishop. Harmonia in a nutshell. (Of course you did leave out two of the best threads in all of SARS, but we'll just keep that a secret, nyuk nyuk!)

Yea, I thinks its best we keep it that way....for their sanity's sake!!! Those...umm...threads require a lot of attention and a bear loving freak. :lol:

Premature Nut Flusher wrote:
Heh, it's funny that I'm on this side of the discussion after I was the one who started this thread so many months ago. Instead of offering advice I really oughta thank all the people here who gave theirs, and also the members of Harmonia who made the nation a great place to be a part of. *whipes tear away* I promised myself I wouldn't cry!

Yes and that all changed around about page four of this thread if I do believe. Oh and lookie here what I found....a nice little post by some handsome young thing. Just left it lying there in the forums.

Some kick ass, good looking dude wrote:
Aite Nut. I'm here and I'm getting the Harmonia boards up even if it means me talking to myself (which would kinda suck so plz answer my posts *laugh*). It is kinda dead at the mo as I post up on every single Harmonian topic and got no replies as of yet........if it keeps going this way I'm moving on onto regular forums (increase armies heh). I've made 3rd Class Citizen from a slave in a day and I don't plan to stop there.

Just a few posts to keep me fueled and I promise you the Harmonian board will become one of the liveliest boards on here. I've got a few ideas on how to boost up the fun factor as well hehe.

O and Saben, if you need one to run around and do some work for ya, I'm game. Kinda funny though, I got no replies as of yet (except for Ced, thanks dude).

Ah......it seems like such a long time ago.....but damn. It seems I've actually succeeded though haha. I've managed to help boost the activity levels as well as the fun we have in there (which might have been a mistake since I can bearly get a few of you flaggers outside of the Harmonian forums now WAKA WAKA). I'm also the one to run the nation too (aka a mod), mind you I got Sai to help me out with the heavy workload now heh.

Well, I haven't really asked for help here, I just said I was going to go in and dominate the flag out of Harmonia but there have been many that supported me and wished me the best of luck in my endeavor. Thank you kindly for your support and your words of wisdom to all that contributed in one way or another; through posts or moral support. You know who you are!!! :wink:
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I guess we Harmonians are just lucky enough to have no real lives, so we're able to ramble on about whatever topics we can think up.

XD...to be fair though, the definition we have of "real lives" is only coming to SARS for an hour :D

Quote:

I won't go over the Trinity's head and post some of the awesome threads that we've made, because that might be sacrificing an aspect of our nation that is wholey unique to us. So if the Lord Bishop Fang wishes to share some ideas for you all, I'll leave it up to him.

*hands j00 100 dollar bill*
So...what's up my erstwhile Harmonian buddy? :mrgreen: (j/k, don't ban me for being a spy! :shock: )
Seriously though...it's better you don't tell us, as each nation should build up its own culture.

Oh, and I love the avatar and sig. Goonies > all. :)

Sinocard wrote:
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bold Loner wrote:
*hands j00 100 dollar bill*
So...what's up my erstwhile Harmonian buddy? :mrgreen: Mr. Green (j/k, don't ban me for being a spy! Shocked :shock: )

[Sasuke voice]SPY!!!! Get im!!![/Sasuke voice] :lol:

Moonsword wrote:
Seriously though...it's better you don't tell us, as each nation should build up its own culture.

Yes, definitely. These were just the bare bone structures an active nation should have. You have to provide the meat of it by being innovative and entertaining, through games, fun discussions (and these can sometimes be better then the games themselves), a mix of the two, or simply getting to know each other better and talking about your interests.

Loony wrote:
Oh, and I love the avatar and sig. Goonies > all. Smile :)

Hehe, that would be our 80's Movies and Music celebration festival coming up hehehe. Speaking of the festival.....I gotta get me an avatar quick!!! :?
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for everything Black Fang.
I'll try to do it, and we'll see what happened later...

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bishop Black Fang wrote:

Yea, I thinks its best we keep it that way....for their sanity's sake!!! Those...umm...threads require a lot of attention and a bear loving freak.

WOO HOO!! I got mentioned and I'm not even part of the conversation. You are talking about me right? hehe..

Scheherazade wrote:

Thanks for everything Black Fang.
I'll try to do it, and we'll see what happened later...

It seems kinda sad that you guys aren't doing so well. I wish you luck on your rebound effort. I'll even pitch in my two cents.

My thoughts for the best results of activity stimulation(If anyone cares):

Step 1: Get yourself an OOOB and let him run wild, unrestrained. He'll stir up enough trouble to get people yelling at him and post enough jokes to get everyone laughing and/or disgusted. Thus causing discussion as to whether you agree that he is funny or how you think he should be site banned. :lol:

Step 2: Bring up controversial topics and argue as much as possible. People in agreement tend to say a lot less and will find the conversation very boring. :?

Step 3: Your best bet is to try and have as many threads as possible that your members can come online and post in... EVERY DAY. (Something that still encourages relevant conversation and thought with your country's members and yet something that changes daily) I find the community threads are extremely lacking in these type of topics and, instead of posting, I spend most of my time looking for something to pitch in my two cents on. Making, most of the time, posting in there a hassle. On the other hand, in Harmonia, there are a solid five to ten threads our members post in nearly every day.

Step 4: Get as many women as possible in your country. If you see them pop up, do whatever you can to keep them as members. You'll find a female member's post will attract roughly three times as many replies as a male's. That's because the average male is desperate and hopeless.

Those are slightly comical, but somewhat serious. Nothing can replace the real character of great members and with the way members are distributed to the individual countries, it really is 'the luck of the draw'. For increased activity, you only need two people to start: One person to post and one person to reply. So stay active yourselves and people will come Ray... oh yes, people will come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: