Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2006/2007 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a decent result for England. With the quality within thier whole squad you'd expect them to churn out good results, but it's just not happened for them as of yet in the Euro 2008 Qualifiers. The decision to bring back Beckham is a very good one I must say.

To my native Scotland, hah. We certainly have it tough in our group with the likes of France, Italy and Ukraine. We have the Faroe Islands on Wednesday, a god damn "bogey" team for us! They certainly gave Italy a fright the other day, so they will go all out for this one against us probably. We thumped them 6-0 in the last meeting. Let's hope it goes that way again... XD Hah. We need a win to secure any hope of making it to Euro 2008, 'cause France away, and the return legs of Italy and Ukraine, is gonna be tough.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AC Milan have said they are interested in signing Henry from Arsenal, that is a very interesting prospect. Steven Gerrand and Jamie Carragher have also extended their contracts to 2011.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, and in more news:

- Chelsea will be picking up PSV Eindhoven's Alex for about 1 million, I think. The idea of Chelsea spending one million sounds... totally wrong. >.>
- Marseille are in talks with Bayern Munich as to the future of French international Franck Ribery.
- Newcastle is really pursuing Joey Barton. It will apparently depend on West Ham's pursuits for Scott Parker, but if that falls through, I think Barton will join Newcastle. Big Sam is changing th team slowly, first Bramble has left. Sibierski as well. Might see some other names too.

Yep. Interesting transfer season so far.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well believe it or not, Alex of PSV Eindhoven is actually really Alex of Chelsea. PSV simply loaned him from Chelsea this season, and that has been something that confused a lot of pundits as to why Chelsea didn't recall him when they're severely lacking in central defender. Alex is really dominant in this season's Eredivisie and pretty much carried PSV to become the champion. I'd take him over the silly cannibal any day.

And now Wigan has signed both Antoine Sibierski and Titus Bramble. Hello relegation season 07/08. Good bye, Wigan. ^o^/

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's simple to see why Chelsea didn't recall Alex. They more than likely had a clause in the loan contract that specified that the player couldn't be called back to the Chelsea squad until the end of the contract. Porto had a similar situation in the last few years with left wingers, while they had 3 or 4 on loan, but couldn't call any back.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

More news. Damn, I'm starting to get scared of Newcastle in the upcoming season now.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=436504&cc=4716

Damn, Viduka, Owen, AND Martins on the same team? That's pretty good. Martins will be playing in the African cup for Nigeria I think, so that means we can see an Owen-Viduka partnership. Sounds good.

Combine that with the exit of guys like Bramble, a great manager in Sam Allardyce, and a couple other recruits, you're starting to see a quite good-looking Newcastle team.

Capable of going 5th. Hell, they can go to 4th if Arsenal loses Henry and doesn't get any decent replacement, and they outlast Pompey/Spurs/Everton/Villa.

Aston Villa is making a 7 mil bid for Nigel Reo-Coker, too.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quite importantly I think, you missed Tottenham out of the teams that Newcastle will be required to usurp in their pursuit of European placement.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Am I the only one who thinks that Aston Villa is splashing out money into the gutter? I can sort of understand that Reo-Coker is not a crap player by any means. But 7 million for him? Not to mention Aston Villa paying 9 million for Ashley Young too in January earlier this year. What were they thinking? If this current trend continues, I just don't see Aston Villa going anywhere up quick. The owner would sooner or later realize that all those investment wouldn't pay off.

Newcastle United have officially signed not only Viduka, but also Joey Barton now. I'm a bit unsure on how to react to that. I think Barton is a good football player, but he's a crappy personality that can be more trouble than his worth. The other thing that disappointed me is that both Lee Bowyer and Titus Bramble are no longer in Newcastle. It would be fun to watch Crumble being smacked by Barton and became another Elephant Man like that poor Ousmane Dabo of Manchester City. Plus, there's always a chance of a threeway dance between Bowyer, Dyer, and Barton. Now that would be quality entertainment.

Another news is that Frank Ribery has officially been signed by Bayern Munich for 25 million Euro making him the second most expensive player in Bundesliga. Surprisingly, the record holder is Marcio Amoroso (duuurrrr ... Dortmund must've been regretting that transfer to this day).

From Spain, the latest news is the confirmation of Roberto Carlos' departure from Real Madrid, switching to Turkey for Fenerbache instead. What is it with Turkish clubs picking up old-timers anyways? Rivaldo was a flop last year, yet he managed to switch side in Turkey and then now they bring in Roberto Carlos to their league. They're not really moving forward.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
What is it with Turkish clubs picking up old-timers anyways?

Trying to raise the profile of their club/league i would imagine.....the same can be said for LA Galaxy and Major League Soccer in the US by signing Beckham.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well there is a big difference between MLS/Beckham and Turkish League/Has-beens. In USA, obviously soccer is not a popular sport, signing Beckham is also a good move because he is still a good player who is around borderline of the end of his career. Of course, there's also that "he's handsome" and "she's a hottie" factor about Mr. & Mrs. Beckham to consider too in bringing more popularity to the sport in the USA.

On the other hand, Turkey should have quite a solid football league already. After all, Turkey did get to the semi-final in 2002 World Cup mainly using local based players. Signing players at the very end of their careers would hardly improve the domestic league's quality and possibly only slightly boost a little bit of extra local interest. Having Rivaldo and/or Roberto Carlos wouldn't make them to suddenly challenge for European Champions League title either. But then again, I could be very wrong.

---

Going back to transfer talks, AC Milan has confirmed interest in Eto'o but would not make an official bid until the end of Spanish La Liga 06/07 first. AC Milan has also been linked with Thierry Henry and Andriy Shevchenko, but both seemed to be quite unlikely at the moment. Speaking of Henry, he has also been linked to a move to Barcelona. Is this a signal of Henry moving to Barcelona while Barca sold Eto'o to Milan? That would be an interesting to see if such thing happened.

In other news, Francesc Fabregas has mentioned that he is indeed unsettled at Arsenal and might move to another club. His preference would be Barcelona but he admitted that Barcelona already has excellent midfielders on their own in form of Xavi and Iniesta. So that could mean there will be no place for him to enter and that he might have to find another club instead (media obviously linked him to Real Madrid).

Also, Claudio Ranieri was confirmed as the next manager for Juventus for next season a few days ago. And now, he is already being rumored for trying to get Frank Lampard to Juventus. Well, I wouldn't say that I'm impressed if that's the case. Lampard this season has been significantly not as good as last season. Moving to Serie A would be very problematic for him. I don't think he would be able to adapt. But then again, that might be a good thing for England. If he turns crap, then there's no reason to bring him into the national squad. Gerrard can play how he wants to and there will be no more Gerrard-Lampard saga. XD

Oh I don't think it's mentioned yet here, but a few days ago, Chelsea also signed Claudio Pizzaro from Bayern Munich. Obviously, he's a decent forward that would bring more experience into the substitute bench. Having only Solomon Kalou as your sole forward substitute is not a good thing. Having someone like Pizzaro added into the mix would definitely improve the team. Sadly, he's still just going to be a substitute and the impact would be to a lesser degree.

---

EDIT

Archy wrote:
- Chelsea will be picking up PSV Eindhoven's Alex for about 1 million, I think. The idea of Chelsea spending one million sounds... totally wrong. >.>

Correction on this part. Alex is not moving to Chelsea for 1 million. He moved to Chelsea for 1 (one) single dollar/euro/whatevercurrency. I'm guessing that it's the cost to ask him back from loan or something.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile, I did mention Tottenham there. :P

Anyhow, yeah, it's International Results time! Anyhow, I'm not putting all the results on, there too many.

England 3 - Estonia 0
Italy 2 - Lithuania 0
France 1 - Georgia 0
Germany 2 - Slovakia 1
Sweden 5 - Iceland 0
Scotland 2 - Faroe Islands 0
Spain 2 - Liechtenstein 0

~~~~~
My thoughts:

Man, a nice win for England. No, no Beckham goals this time again, but instead you have Owen, Crouch and Joe Cole scoring. A good win for England. They really need this, to overcome Croatia, Israel and Russia in their group, and for survival.

Italy and France winning... I'll have to say okay. I'm probably the only one who doesn't want these two to top their group. No no, not Italy. Go go Scotland!

If there's one country that's going to qualify in a very good mood, it's going to be Germany. I mean, they've probably been one of the best teams so far through the qualifiers, and are 5 points clear of the Czech Republic. Expect German entry into Euro to mostly be a breeze. Czechs may give them a bit of trouble, though.

Spain... David Villa. is. a. beast. That's all.

Romania/Bulgaria winning - NOOOOOOOOOO. Dammit, no game for the Netherlands so that means they have a game in hand, but winning that puts them 2nd on Goal Difference. =/

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Archy, though there's no Beckham goal this time around, he did set up two of the three goals. He had the assists for Crouch and Owen's goals. He really is regaining his footballing skills. Hopefully he would continue to be good. It's also a good thing for other right wingers to keep them on their toes and realize that the old Beckham is not over yet.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Somehow my brain didn't make the connection between Spurs and Tottenham that day or I just didn't see it at all. Sorry.

England weren't that good, a couple of slips ups in the game, Terry had to clear off the line, Robinson had to rush out and beat a striker onto a through ball that Bridge had held the striker onside for by not moving up with the rest. There's a lot to work on with the whole team I think still but a 3-0 win is a good result for sure, Cole's finish was great, Crouch's and Owen's as well were very well taken chances too when you look at them, the header and touch across goal being just right for their situations respectively.

Aurelien, it was a 1 euro fee for Alex to come back to Chelsea I believe.

England play again next at Wembley against Germany in a friendly, this will be sometime in August.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's start with tranfer news. Nothing big at all I guess, but Inter Milan has bought David Suazo from Cagliari. Anyone actually knows who this guy is and how good he is? I sure am not, but reading about the story, it seemed that he is actually a great player. He is from Honduras (not the best footballing country obviously, but who the heck cares) and has been scoring left and right throughout his years in Cagliari. At the Italian Football "Oscars" earlier this year, he was actually voted as the best foreign player in Serie A along with the infamous Kaka. Just how goos is this guy when playing in the big pond of Inter? We'll have to wait and see. With the likes of Ibrahimovic, Adriano, and Crespo are all still there, I wonder if he will be getting enough minutes or not.

And to a smaller degree, Luis Figo has decided to extend his stay at Inter for one last year. With his deal to Saudi Arabia falling through, his options were either to stay or to retire. Inter chose to keep him for another year, so Figo stayed. I really like having Figo in Inter. He seems to be the kind of footballer who is totally professional and just a good player to get the job the done. It is also mentioned that at the end of the next season, Figo would take up office job at Inter to further continue the relationship between the two.

--

Now moving on to La Liga, I know it's almost another weekend again, but I would like to talk about last weekend where it has got to be one of the most exciting, if not the most exciting, second last week of the season in the world ever.

For those who don't follow La Liga, let me explain the situation. Three teams at the top. Real Madrid led Barcelona on head-to-head result, and Sevilla was behind the two with two points.

Real Madrid drew their match, but Barcelona also drew their match. Sevilla could go top with a victory, but they too drew their match. The top three teams were all held to a draw by their oppositions. It's amazing to see such thing happening in such late part of the season.

Now what is more amazing is the fortune shared by Real Madrid and Barcelona with everything going right for the former and everything going wrong for the latter. Imagine what happened. Both games approached the end. Real Madrid was a goal down. Barcelona was a goal up. The Catalans could smell the first position with 3 point cushion knowing that they would only need a single point to win the league again. Then there was news that Ruud van Nistelrooy scored the equalizer for Real Madrid at the very near end of the game there. Bad news for Barcelona but no big deal as they would still lead by 2 points, knowing that they would win if Real Madrid failed to win their last match. 18 seconds later, disaster for Barcelona as Espanyol's Raul Tamudo (boy he has been hanging there for so long) scored an equalizer. BAM! Both Barcelona and Real Madrid ended up on the same points again with the Madrid team leading as before.

Of course, Barcelona could've considered themselves to be very lucky instead because they drew a game where Messidona scored a goal with his hand just like Diego Maradona. Had that goal not stand, Barcelona could find themselves trailing by 1 point instead of level on points.

I'm really excited to see what's going to happen.

--

In Bundesliga tranfers news, both Luca Toni and Frank Ribery had been officially introduced by Bayern Munich a few days ago. Luca Toni has been said to be favored by female reporters too because of his good look and tall build XD

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, La Liga this year is freakin' great.

So yeah, all Real Madrid need is a win against Real Zaragoza to ensure the title. While Barca on the other hand, must win at cellar-dwellar Gimnastic, AND pray that Real do not win. A Real draw coupled with a with a Barca win means the title goes back to the Nou Camp.

Of course, that ain't all the drama. There's still Sevilla, you know, UEFA cup champs. Now, Sevilla need to win, and pray that Real and Barca both LOSE to get them the championship. Pretty interesting last week, for sure.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: