Suikoden United and Irrational Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2006/2007 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was a boring match,i expected more from both teams(even more from Liverpool).And Inzaghi's first goal was just pure luck. :no:

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About 1/3 of the goals that happen in football are pure luck. And besides, the goal is half Inzaghi (because he's the last man touching the ball) half Pirlo (who shoot the free kick).
Luckier was Pierre Van Hooijdonk (remember him?) when he was Benfica and this guy Roger (now in Corinthias) shoot a bomb from a free kick, it hits Van Hooijdonk's head and chips Vitor Baia (yes, it was against Porto, and Benfica passed (Portuguese Cup) with that goal).

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

haha i remember that goal.lold .

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone paying attention to the transfer market lately?

Gareth Bale's now in the Premiership. And he's not in one of the big four - he's in Tottenham. Sylvain Distin also left City for Pompey. Portsmouth's defense just got a boost.

~~~~
Aaand, international friendlies are soon! There's one on June 5 - England vs. Brazil. Speaking of England, guess who just got back in the squad.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=433813&cc=4716

Oooh, I wonder how that'll turn out.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never seen this Baleboy played before, so I don't know how good he is. But I seriously wonder if he's really worth 10 million pounds. For a teenager who has never played at the Premiership level yet, that price seems to be awfully expensive. But then again, we're talking about Spurs here, a team that would pay money to buy Ghaly. Back to Bale, I think he made the right move rather than going to Manchester United. Tottenham has been always lacking in left side-back position and that's Bale's position. In Manchester, he would've had to compete with the excellent Evra and/or decent Heinze if he stayed there and not sold. Chances would be scarce and his career would stop before it blooms.

As for Distin joining the Pompey, I think that's a very good capture with him on the free like that. However, it's really uncertain on whether Portsmouth is getting better defensively or not considering that they might lose Sol Campbell (rumored to join Newcastle ... Fat Sam and Fat Sol .. that'd be lovely). If they do lose Sol, then Distin is pretty much a straight forward replacement of similar quality rather than strengthening Portsmouth.

But here's the killer thing. It is also rumored that Harry Redknapp wants another central defender. Of course, who else would he want other than The Woeful One Titus Crumble from Newcastle who has been said by Sam Allardyce that he's going to be let go. So if 'Arry really grabbed Mr.Crumble into the Pompeys, I think that'd negate Distin's effect at all. Crumble is by far the worst central defender in the Premiership and why anyone actually wants to buy him is beyond my n00b brain.

---

Moving to Spanish La Liga, I'm really getting more and more excited by the prospect of exciting final week race. Prior to this gameweek, there were 4 teams competing for the crown in Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla, and Valencia. Real Madrid won 3-1 against Deportivo La Coruna, Barcelona won 1-0 against Getafe (team that destroyer the Catalans in the King's Cup), and Sevilla haven't played yet. However, Valencia did fall out of the race after a 2-3 defeat against Villarreal leaving the top 3 to compete for the title instead.

So now the top four looks like this:
1. Real Madrid 72 points (ahead due to better head-to-head record)
2. Barcelona 72 points (behind due to worse head-to-head record)
3. Sevilla 67 points (1 game in hand)
4. Valencia 65 points (officially out of the race)

Sevilla can also be out of the race by next week if they lose the game in hand. Considering that it's a match against fifth place Real Zaragoza, it's not going to be an easy game by any means. But if Sevilla do manage to win that match, then it's going to be 2-points separating the top 3 teams and it's going to be very tight with high quality teams gunning for the title.

Personally, I still want Barcelona to win, but I have to say that David Beckham really brought Real Madrid back to life. To have him singled out and treated like crap by Capello after signing for LA Galaxy earlier this year, he continued to train hard and made Capello eat his own words. Not only that, it's really interesting to see the fans chanted Beckham's name after the victory against Deportivo like that. It really showed how hard he worked and how in the end, he was loved by the fans too. The recall to the England national team is definitely worked hard for and not just an easy way out by McClaren to satisfy the fans.

Will it be Barcelona? Will it be Real Madrid? Or will it be Sevilla? It's going to be exciting and scary at the same time. Real Madrid is on the rise and have the advantage for the title. Sevilla is rock solid and would like to do a treble of their own if they could. Barcelona is getting their heads together again lately but might lose Ronaldinho for the final 2 weeks after he was sent off against Getafe. Who will be the champion? Stay tune to Spanish La Liga, folks.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm rooting for Real Madrid to win. Beckham has sparked life into this team - ever since he returned they've been in good form. They've got a very good hitman in RVN (who btw is returning to the Dutch Squad, under Van Basten), and some decent players in Beckham and co.

It depends on how Barca will play out. If they get a hold of themselves, they can finish coolly for the title (with some luck, due to the inferior H-H record). If they continue their streak, and lose Ronaldinho, then I think the title goes to Real.

Aurelien wrote:
But here's the killer thing. It is also rumored that Harry Redknapp wants another central defender. Of course, who else would he want other than The Woeful One Titus Crumble from Newcastle who has been said by Sam Allardyce that he's going to be let go. So if 'Arry really grabbed Mr.Crumble into the Pompeys, I think that'd negate Distin's effect at all. Crumble is by far the worst central defender in the Premiership and why anyone actually wants to buy him is beyond my n00b brain.

While I'm not surprised by Big Sam letting him go, I'm surprised by Rednkapp wanting him. What does he see in Bramble?

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey!! Fundertaker, Manchester United have agreed, in principle, deals for Anderson from Porto and Nani from Sporting Lisbon.

I have not heard much about these players, especially Anderson, althought a bit has been flying around about Nani's potential.

Should i be excited about these prospects??

Oh and the long winded transfer for Owen Hargreaves is over!
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I should more than excited about those 2. Especially Anderson. If he can adapt to English football you have a future "Player Of the Year" in your squad. He's what one would expect from a great Brazilian player, but much more pragmatic. Imagine a younger, more technical and explosive Deco with much more room for improvement, although he isn't as good as far as long passes, free kicks and ball possession (he's a kid after all, so he wants to go solo once in a while) for the time being. Oh and he's left footer. He's also in Dunga's pre-selection for the Brazilian team for the Copa America.
Nani also has a lot of potential, but he needs to be much more consistent quickly if he wants to play with some regularity in Man Utd, since he's one of those players that can play a game of a lifetime one day, and play very badly the next five. But with him and Ronaldo in the flanks, let's say that the Premiership side backs will be very busy. Although, truth being said, he isn't as good as Ronaldo, and is the 4th winger for Portugal (Ronaldo, Quaresma and Simão in his front).

EDIT: BTW, who's in the "dispensable" list of Man Utd players? FC Porto, with the selling of Anderson has not only right to the 30M but also a player from those "dispensable".

So, yes, 2 great deals for Man Utd. Although I'm sad to see Anderson go. At least with the 30M€ Man Utd paid, we don't need to see people like Quaresma, Pepe and Lucho Gonzalez go.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dispensable? You mean those who are going to be let go?

Heinze is possible, but so far only rumors I've heard are all about Real Madrid wanting him. I've heard stuff about Richardson and Fletcher too (man, they have too many MFs now).

If Alex Ferguson gets his wanted striker who is supposedly Eto'o or Klaas Jan Huntelaar (and Berbatov, but that's kindadim now), he may dispense of one of his striker's whose name isn't Wayne Rooney, so that's something.

Very happy about these deals, especially Hargreaves. United is blazing the trail for transfers this season, Liverpool, Arsenal (go go Ribery) and Chelsea haven't done anything big yet. Closest so far is Portsmouth, getting Distin, Muntari and some other guys.

Interesting offseason so far. Even the other Premiership teams are making noise, West Ham United are set to pick up Newcastle's Scott Parker, Newcastle is supposedly looking at that Joey Barton guy, too.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Archy wrote:
Newcastle is supposedly looking at that Joey Barton guy, too.

Too much trouble for someone who is just going to cause even more trouble.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would put Silvestre, O'Shea, Fletcher, Richardson and Saha in the dispensible list.
I was going to add Wes Brown but Fergie likes him too much.

There is talk of Heinze going Real Madrid and i hope that is only rumour!

I am happy with the United deals so far but i will reserve judgement until these guys have had the time to bed in........remember Evra and Vidic when they first joined.........now look that them!
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And right after Man U. makes waves, Chelsea completes their first signing - of a 16 year old from Oldham. I don't remember his name, but if he's 16, he's probably a project at Stamford Bridge.

As for the upcoming England-Brazil tiff, Soccernet's released some likely lineups:

England XI - 4-4-2

P. Robinson
J. Carragher, J. Terry, L. King, N. Shorey
D. Beckham, S. Gerrard, F. Lampard, J. Cole
A. Smith, M. Owen

Brazil XI - ?

Helton
Gilberto, Juan, Alex, Maicon
Gilberto Silva, Edmilson, Ronaldinho, Kaka
Robinho, Vagner Love

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alan Smith is rubbish! Get out of the ruddy England team you overly bleached blonde, 'tough tackling' moron.

I looked at that first of all and just thought so what's supposed to have changed since Sven left then? Alright there's Nicky Shorey, great, will he really ever play instead of Ashley Cole in a real match though? I have my doubts but there are always injuries and he would have to fully usurp Bridge too in that case who I suspect is only missing because of a lack of first team games, he was very good for Chelsea when he did play those few times.

Just looking about at the transfer news now, an agreed price between West Ham and Newcastle for Scott Parker seems about the closest thing to a new deal. Good news for Newcastle I think rather than West Ham, he's not good enough overall in my opinion of course Curbishley had him at Charlton where he was pretty much their star attraction, great if you're aiming for mid-table stagnation again Curbs, go for it.

A personal favourite player apparently has an out clause in his contract, Morten Gamst Pedersen, I've liked his game for about three years now and I've always hoped he went somewhere bigger than Blackburn so maybe that's on the cards now - I wouldn't want him somewhere that he's not being used regularly though and to me that rules out Chelsea and Manchester United, I think he could be good at Arsenal, Tottenham or Liverpool though, very very good. This stuff comes from his agent who could be using it as a negotiating ploy with whoever he actually is talking to (be it Hughes, Jol, Wenger or someone else) but it's a bit more reputable at least than random rumour-mongering.

Manchester United are definitely looking for another Striker (Anelka is currently rumoured) now I think, they got a ton of midfielders so I agree with you guys pointing out a couple of people like Fletcher and Richardson as spare parts on that team, I also agree with Goldy that Saha is on the list and I think he is definitely on the out from Manchester United this year as soon as they bring in someone else. Once someone else's signature is secured they can rid themselves of Saha without fear of losing their depth at the position, I think he'll be gone soon enough and wouldn't be surprised if it was to Porto, I think he's around the best fit of those mentioned except Heinze who I would doubt leaves the team just yet.

The Oldham player you mentioned is Danny Philliskirk. Sounds like a good deal for them the news report I'm reading mentions there are a lot of add-on clauses, loan options for Philliskirk himself and potentially other Chelsea youngsters, that's a good thign for a club of Oldham's stature and position. He's a striker by the way and on a four year deal at Chelsea now.

Aliadere to Middlesboro and Viduka to Newcastle (contract is expired) are looking like good possibilities at the moment too. Yakubu is out of contract at the moment too and will likely leave but I haven't read anything about where to, maybe he'll head away from the Premiership even.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ashley Cole has been dissapointingly average since he married that woman from Girl's Aloud and appeared on all those gossip magazine covers, poor guy.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aaand, it's a draw.

Beckham makes some waves right away in his return to the squad, setting up captain John Terry for a goal to a 1-0 lead. England were winning..... until Diego of Werder Bremen scores an injury-time goal. Final score, 1-1.

Overall, I think it's a decent start for Beckham.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: