Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2006/2007 Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Football (Soccer) 2006/2007 Season Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thread died in the board kerplosion so here it is coming right back.

This reminds me I missed Sunday's goals bugger.

Sheffield United got off to a good start getting a draw with Liverpool, Reading go out and beat Middlesborough and Watford lost but they weren't exactly thumped by Everton (Go Andy Johnson!).

So here's a question for you all, could we be seeing three up, none down? That would be a first for a good while I have to think.

Martin O'Neill got off to a good start drawing with Arsenal, I like O'Neill, I would much rather of had him for England Manager (though I'll admit the team made a pretty impressive start with McLaren the other day).

Chelsea have bought Khalid Boulahrouz from hamburg for a reported £6 million, the money is only rumoured apparently but Mourinho says he can play anywhere in the back four which is pretty handy and I'm sure he's not bad either.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Obviously, Australia doesn't get any football league shown on free TV and I don't own cable TV. So I rely on internet reports from Soccernet or Football365, and/or clips from TV.

I did see the 5-1 and 3-0 goals from the news. Fulham looked pathetic from the goals they conceeded (especially the first and the last) while Manchester City looked to just have bad luck on conceeding the goals. Terry's header was a bullet one, Lampard's goal was a deflected shot, and Drogba's diving header was just too bloody good that there's nothing you can really do about it.

I was definitely looking forward to see Spurs doing well this season, especially with the signing of Berbatov. Got me excited, but boy oh boy did they start at the wrong foot. Well at least the loss was courtesy of my good ol Bolton Wanderers. That team is just majestic, really. Lost 5 of the 6 pre-season matches, and suddenly beaten Spurs comfortably 2-0 like that. And to top it off, it seems that The Trotters are going to get Anelka too. The world has gone mad, Bolton actually going to sign someone who isn't half a century old!!!

While the three promoted teams showed good display, I'm not convinced by any means. It's only the first week, and they'd crumble when they play against the likes of Spurs, Bolton, Everton, Newcastle. It's kind of like Pompeys, you know. 3-0 winner against Blackburn, who would've thought that would happen? And sadly, we all know that Portsmouth are going to get beaten a lot later on.

My prediction for EPL 06/07:
Champion: Chelsea
Champion's League: Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham
UEFA Cup and/or Intertoto: Manchester United, Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United
Relegation: Watford, Charlton, and either Sheffield United or Reading.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you're actually wrong about Portsmouth, they're a better team this year and they have quite a bit of money behind them now. They obviously aren't going to light up the league in the change of a solitary season but they are an up and coming team at the moment I have to think. Blackburn on the other hand lost Bellamy who was quite key to them and their defence and midfield is going to be booked a lot because they just have those kinds of players there for the most part.

Champion's League: Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool
UEFA Cup and/or Intertoto: Tottenham, West Ham.
Relegation: Watford, Fulham, Sheffield united.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Champion's League: Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal
UEFA Cup and/or Intertoto: Tottenham, Bolton.
Relegation: Watford, Fulham, Sheffield United.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Portsmouth is definitely getting stronger when compared to last year, and they definitely have the money now. But I'm not convinced in any way because they are still far from being a strong team by any means. They are trying to be like Bolton in terms of signing ageing players to try to solidify the team, but I just think that Portsmouth still lack of the great player in their team. I don't think that they have the Kevin Nolan in there.

EDIT: And the SURPRISE OF THE CENTURY!!! Juventus signed up Boumsong from Newcastle United. Boy oh boy has Calciopoli had lowered the standard of Juventus. And to think that Boumsong costs 8 million pounds back when Newcastle bought him (plus, it's the same price of what Owen went from Liverpool to Real Madrid if I'm not mistaken). I shudder ... and shudder ... and shudder. Sure now Boumsong only cost Juventus like 3 million pounds, but man .. surely there are other defenders that would be willing to play for Juventus that their name is not Boumsong. I still shudder.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another nice win for Manchester United last night, beating Charlton by 3 goal to nothing. There is still a few defensive scares creeping into United's game so hopefully they will get that corrected soon enough!

Middlesboro beat Chelsea 2-1......well it was Chelsea's own fault really, they were crusing in the first half and controlling the game but decided to site back......frankly i am delighted with the result.

Keep an eye out for the Champions League Draw later today!

EDIT: And here is the Champions League Draw!

Group A
Barcelona
Chelsea
Werder Bremen
Levski Sofia

What a group, Barcelona and Chelsea to battle again! I except both of them to qualify from this group.

Group B
Internazionale
Bayern Munich
Sporting Lisbon
Spartak Moscow

Tough enough group with Bayern Munich and Inter Milan to qualify.

Group C
Liverpool
PSV Eindhoven
Bordeaux
Galatasaray

Relatively easy group for Liverpool. Expect either PSV or Galatasaray to join them from this group.

Group D
Valencia
Roma
Olympiakos
Shakhtar Donetsk

Roma and Valencia to qualify from this group with ease.

Group E
Real Madrid
Lyon
Steaua Bucharest
Dinamo Kiev

Lyon and either Real Madrid or Dinamo Kiev to get out of this group. Should be interesting.

Group F
Manchester United
Celtic
Benfica
Copenhagen

Manchester United should qualify from this group, emphasizing 'should' after last years group disaster. I fancy Benfica to qualify also.

Group G
Arsenal
Porto
CSKA Moscow
Hamburg

Arsenal and Porto to qualify. But then again the European teams just might like the wider Emirates Stadium pitch like they did when Arsenal played at Wembley.....

Group H
Milan
Lille
AEK Athens
Anderlecht

Expect Milan (who should not be in the competition this year in my opinion) and Lille to get out of this group for the next stage.
Zorrow

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, to date, it looks like Man Utd is enjoying a nice start to the new season. With Arsenal and Chelsea both having lost games, it's extra the bliss for them, eh? But well, I don't expect to see them up at the top for long. They're aided by rather simples fixtures, and Watford already proved tricky for Man Utd, especially now that Rio Ferdinand is injured. I still can't stand their jersey.

At this point, Aston Villa is leading Newcastle 1-0 up. Newcastle is another of those sides that were active in the transfer market.

Regarding UCL, your predictions are according to who's stronger, is it not? I would fancy a few underdogs to bark their way to the semi-s, at least. Man Utd is in an easy group. Though I think Celtic's chance of getting through is higher than Benfica. I'm rather lost with Portugese football. Blame soccernet.

When Boumsong was still in his French team, I liked him quite a lot. What was that French team, Auxuerre(or something)? Ah well. I first knew of him from my games. You never know, he might blossom at Juve. Just like the late bloomer Materazzi who fumbled in England.

2-0 for Villa now. Looks like Martin O'Neil is the winning formula. And I thought there was a bit of chance for Newcastle...

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Though I think Celtic's chance of getting through is higher than Benfica

They have an equal chance, since they are 2 very similar teams. It's just that Celtic has more international (read - UCL) experience than Benfica (2nd year after some without putting their feet near), and they both got good teams, more or less routined with each other. Of course, seeing with the magnifying glass, Benfica is much better technically than Celtic, but loses strongly in the physique department. Also, Celtic has more preparation (began season earlier) so it might reflect in the first game between both of them.

Quote:
I'm rather lost with Portugese football.

Don't worry, I'll cover it. 1st day ends tomorrow (although there a delayed game: Benfica vs Belenenses/Gil Vicente/Leixões (three teams that reclaim their position in the 1st league, since Gil used an irregulary inscripted player last season while got the maintnence on the league. Belenenses (first relegated) and Leixões (first not promoted) and Gil Vicente (claiming innocence) dispute the place on the League (organization) courts)), so I'll bring the results Tuesday. The only relevant note for now is that FC Porto won the Portuguese Supercup against Setubal by 3-0 (goals by Adriano, Anderson and Vieirinha).

EDIT:

Well, day 1 is over (almost, there's that Benfica game pending forever) and here are the results:

FC Porto 2-1 U. Leiria
Great start for Porto with a great showing of strength with their new coach Jesualdo Ferreira (I hate that guy) in command. Good response by Leiria in the 2nd half but Domingos' (ex-FC Porto striker in the early 90's, formed a great duo with Emil Kostadinov which made Porto get to the semis in UCL in 92) team couldn't pull it off, but lost with their faces up.

Beira-Mar 2-2 Desp. Aves
The return of Mario Jardel (remember him Black Pes? Or trying to forget his lackluster run in Bolton?) to the Portuguese League and to the goals. Best match this week. Very good for the 2 promoted teams.

Sp. Braga 2-1 P. Ferreira
Braga showing that it is a UEFA Cup team,although got lucky with an own goal. Paços never had a real chance and only scored in the final moments.

Sporting 3-2 Boavista
Strange game this one. Sporting played horribly in the first half, leading to Boavista's 1-0 advantage. In the 2nd half it was Boavista's turn to play horribly, aided with a sent-off (Ricardo Sousa), which led to Sporting scoring 3 straight goals. Boavista got one near the end. 2 of Sporting's goals were scored by Deivid, who was later in the day sold to Fenerbahçe.

Naval 2-0 E. Amadora
Good game for Naval. Horrible start for Estrela. Both teams should improve their game if they want to saty in the League.

Maritimo 1-0 Nacional
The Madeira derby, saw the home team win. A week game with a great lack of opportunities. Nacional will have to improve drastically if they wanna go to the group phase on the UEFA Cup.

V. Setubal 1-1 Académica
The 2nd draw of this year's league. 2 competent teams showed what they got in the field, although their coaches didn't want to risk much, which led to a very defensive game. Setubal has to improve to get to the group phase of the UEFA Cup.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So did you all see who Westham United signed??

I am not going to tell you.....it will only spoil the surprise!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goldmember wrote:
So did you all see who Westham United signed??

I am not going to tell you.....it will only spoil the surprise!

Wow... West Ham got quite lucky, this will hopefully spice up the leauge a bit more.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

West Ham clearly surprised all of us by able to get both Mascherano and Tevez. For someone who has been constantly linked with Arsenal and Man Utd, I wonder what made Tevez wanted to choose West Ham instead. Mascherano was also linked with Man Utd after their pursuit of Hargreaves failed, yet he chose West Ham as well.

The other big news pretty much goes to Arsenal for sending Jose Reyes to Real Madrid on loan and getting Julio Baptista in return instead. Arsenal also finally sold Ashley Cole to Chelsea for 5 million pound plus William Gallas. (dang, I used Wayne Bridge in Fantasy EPL too grrr, I thought this deal won't go through).

Tottenham as usual was also busy during the last few days on transfer window. They managed to bring in back Mido, and bought Steed Malbranque and Chimbonda finally while sending Wayne Routledge on load to Fulham.

Overally interesting and very busy last few days of transfer window.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So in the end......no new transfers for Manchester United besides the two they already brought in.

I am hoping the squad stay injury free as much as possible and stay consistant!
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Manchester United is definitely playing with fire and could get burnt if they're not careful. They sold RVN earlier this season, they brought no one in to replace him and stated that they believed in Rossi to fill in the gap. Yet, they ended up sending Rossi on load to Newcastle. So now they only have Rooney, Saha, Smith, and Solksjaer upfront? I wouldn't be too thrilled if I were a Man Utd fan. Luckily, I want them to fail, so I'm quite happy ahhhaha.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's an "only" a heck of a lot of teams wouldn't mind having a hold of, to be fair. It's not exactly the equal of Wigan or Reading up front, is it? :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, but this is Man Utd we're talking about. We just know it that Rooney would somehow got suspended while Saha, Smith, and Solksjaer are not really the fittest players in the world. All three of them have been constantly injured. If they can stay fit, then there should be no problem as those 4 are all quality forwards (though I still have got no clue why Man Utd kept Solksjaer while releasing Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, and Teddy Sheringham). I just have a sneaky feeling that they will get injured one way or the other during the season. And once they do, Man Utd would be forced to play Ronaldo and Giggs up front.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: