Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Spellchecker?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Spellchecker? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know it's a strange thing for a forum but Would there be any feasability in a basic spellchecker? I'm sure some people would appriciate it.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

spellchecker dosen't know what I want. thus is the great mystery of my lingo

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is a spell-checker MOD available for PHPBB. The problem with it is that it takes up a lot of space in the database, and it's actual usage is not very practical. Every time a word is corrected, the page has to be reloaded, etc. Considering how we already have people complaining about the slowness of this board's load-time, it wouldn't be a good idea to install a huge MOD.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that having a spellchecker is not woth the extra load time it would take seeing as how most errors are minor anyway.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Dredd wrote:
I agree that having a spellchecker is not woth the extra load time it would take seeing as how most errors are minor anyway.

I agree, everybody who can actually say they want it, doesn't really need. But those who need it, would be to lazy to use it, and well they are like those random people who sign up for this forum, but never post. Now what I am asking, if it is not to much hassel, is for those accounts to be deleted.

By the way Dredd, you left out the "R" in worth. Kind of funny, and I don't know if it is intentional, but this is a thread about spell check.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No it wasn't intentional, just a funny coincidence that perfectly explains the situation. Most errors are not so bad that you can't figure out what's trying to be said.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe the instances that I have had errors I've only learned from them. I've been using the internet so long that my grammar has improved because of it. I feel that a spellchecking device only detracts from learning and for those who do have trouble with English grammar the absence of a spellcheck will allow them to hone their skills.

I absolutely hate spellcheck anyway.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Microsoft Word and most other word processing programs have spell checkers if you are desperate. I never bother with one myself, I don't make THAT many mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well it would seem that most of us are against spellcheckers then... but for anyone who ain't type your replies on MS word then copy and paste in the reply box... there is also another advantage if something happens to the page 'server problem' and the page goes down and won't let you hit the back button... you still have your reply hehe.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Spellchecking isn't that important. Even if you can't spell very well, people will still know what you are trying to say.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: