Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Black Isle Studios goes Broke!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Black Isle Studios goes Broke!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just searching through game sites today just messing around and i saw this article. It was about how Black Isle the makers of the Baldurs Gate series and Icewind Dale amongst other great real time rpg's went broke. Apparently they were working on D&D(Dungeons & Dragons) but they kept on gettin into legal problems and this year they lost like 20 million dollars. So the company went bankrupt which sucks which means there will be no more great story lines like Baldur's Gate in the computer game world. I know it's alittle old but it's still fairly worthy of discussion

Any Comments?

Or more information?

Last edited by Deleted User 1 on Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this happened awhile back, so this is really old news. the worst part of it is that if you didn't save the patches *like me* to a backup disk, you're screwed, gameplay wise.

*wannabe, please use punctuation when posting; your post is hard to read as one huge run on sentence*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are you talking about there's periods.Also I'm so sorry that we all don't check news on game sites daily.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

they're hard to notice without spaces between sentences, so please use some care when posting.

Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Isle Studios went under because Atari owns the license to D&D and stopped them from using it after Baldur's Gate 2. Black Isle's parent company Interplay tried to sue but failed and lost millions. Then all the Black Isle staff were fired.

It's such a shame because the Baldur's Gate and Fallout games were my favourite RPG's after the Suikoden series, also they went under halfway through making Fallout 3 which I was really looking forward to.

However there is some good news here:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/504/504198p1.html

Last edited by Glen Cott on Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Deloseth

Spectacular Slackers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's still hope for Fallout 3, RandomGuy, the rights to it have been bought by Bethesda Softworks, the same peeps who make The Elder Scrolls series. It's now in development, along The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Read about it here.
Glen Cott

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cheers Deloseth, that made my day.

I really hope that it retains all the humour from the first two games though, they're hilarious.
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Old news, but yes, poor Black Isle Studios. The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series are some of my favorite games, right after the Suikoden series. It's really a shame that they went out of business. I would have loved to see a Baldur's Gate III. Can you imagine what a Baldur's Gate game with the graphics of Neverwinter Nights would have been like!?.

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...or Neverwinter Nights with a plot....

Seriously I just got that game and I was expecting a lot, and while the graphics and game mechanics are really first-class, the plot doesn't hold me at all. It is a game that I really, really want to play, but just can't be bothered to if you know what I mean.
The plot is just like, "Well done you've completed my four boring fetch-quests, go and perform these 12 more fetch-quests which take like an hour each, but it should be fun cause the graphics are cool!"

Needless to say, I've only got to chapter 2 and haven't been bothered to go back to it.
(Though I hope I will someday)
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, that makes me glad that i didn't waste the money; glitzy graphics don't cut it when there's nothing to the story besides gofer type quests *freak your damned gofer quest...GOFER it your damn self...seriously!*

Glen Cott

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I picked it up budget for £10 which is really cheap, and I suppose it could be worth that much. If I had absolutely nothing else to play and loads of free time, I might get back into it, but it was more of a huge disappointment than anything.

Although I have heard that the expansions totally rock.

Me wants dragon disciple prestige class now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: