Suikoden Ugly and Informational Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Possible Worst RPG
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Possible Worst RPG Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was going through my playstation games yesterday and way way way at the bottom was Beyond the Beyond. Some of you may have played it, but I think it's possibly the worse RPG ever. Stinky graphics, horrid storyline, monster enounters every 2-5 steps. I'm pretty sure it was the first PS RPG, but even if it wasn't it still stinks. The only reason I never sold it was because it wasn't worth anything. Anyone played this horridly 'amusing' game?

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that Beyond the Beyond was a horrible game. When I first read the name of the thread that game popped into mind. Not only did the graphics and storyline suck the system for exp. points and leveling up trult was the worst I have ever seen. It is the only rpg I have played that I never took the time to finish.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since I've never played that game yet, I can't say much about Beyond to Beyond. But out of those that I've played, I'd pick Legend of Dragoon. I actually love the graphic in the game (one of the most beautiful town in a PSX game that I've seen), but the storyline is just so-so at the best. The characters aren't really interesting either, and the dragoon form is just ridiculously not worthy in the end (being in normal form could deal way more damage than transforming to dragoon). But the nail in the coffin for me is the fact that we have to go through every single town even if just want to go to the next town and we have to insert disc 1/2/3 once we're in disc 4 for some places. That's really annoying and lame.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I enjoyed Beyond the Beyond
the fantastic storyline the numerous tough battles but in the end it was a mediocore RPG at best but I feel that the designer was merely just trying out the PS1.

To tell the the truth this game (Beyond the beyond) was my 3rd game I picked for my families Playstation,
Sukioden being the 1st and
Final Fantasy VII being the 2nd, it's kinda sad when I was young I had no say in what game we were going to get. :cry:
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man I tried playing Beyond the Beyond like 4 times. I lost interest so fast that I couldn't even force myself to play it. I think the farthest I ever got was that big tree maze thing after you get past that puzzle thing in the beginning. *Laugh* I never even got far enough into it to know what the story line was.

I would say FFTA is a worse game because I just went on a tarade about how bad it was but I really can't compare it because I never got through Beyond the Beyond.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oooh, as much as FFTA annoyed me I'd definitely NOT put it as worst.

Maybe it's because I'm a girl, or maybe it's just because the game seemed to suck as I played the first two hours of it, but I'd vote THOUSAND ARMS as the worst RPG. ;P Forget mentioning Final Fantasy MQ - Thousand Arms just curdled over.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:
Since I've never played that game yet, I can't say much about Beyond to Beyond. But out of those that I've played, I'd pick Legend of Dragoon......

Sorry, but I think I`ll have to disagree with you once again. :P

Actually, I agree with most of what you said. The story isn`t that good, the characters are very cliched(although I still liked most of them for some reason), and the disc changing is annoying. And the voice acting is probably the worst I`ve ever, ever heard.

But, you forgot to mention that it probably has the best battle system of any RPG ever created! I really adore the battle system. It makes up for most of the shortcomings to me.

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gahahaha, it's been a lot of time since I played beyond the beyond, and one thing that still left in my mind about the game is that when you leveled up, you'd only got one point upgrade for every stats (like when you're at level 10 your attack is 101, when you've leveled up your attack will be 102 :mrgreen: ).
Anyway, my choice is ... Thousand Arms. Well, the only reason I played it because I like the dating system, which is actually not that good (well, Tokimeki Memorial is always better if you're searching for a dating-sim, and if you can stand Hentai game, kango Shicyauzo 2 is really good)

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I agree with Beyond the Beyond. Samson getting cursed, Percy leaving the party, and then getting stuck in the well was the last straw. I suppose if I got far enough, I'd enjoy it more, but it never did any favors, so it was easy to put it down. Today, it's still the only RPG that I started but never finished.

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember a really old game that I have for the PSX called "Blaze and Blade:Eternal Quest". It was meant to be a kind of multiplayer RPG
Well you needed 12, yes that's 12 empty memory blocks to even begin to play the game!!!
I tried to get into it a couple of times but on single-player I couldn't even get past the first boss, so needless to say I didn't play that game for very long.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ergh, I also hated Legend of Dragoon. It was the most horribly lame game ever...

...that I've played, at least. Just remembering it makes me feel lame and sloth-like. That was probably the entire point of it, errrgh! Boring people into submission!
Darkmagus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Yeah I agree with Beyond the Beyond. Samson getting cursed, Percy leaving the party, and then getting stuck in the well was the last straw. I suppose if I got far enough, I'd enjoy it more, but it never did any favors, so it was easy to put it down. Today, it's still the only RPG that I started but never finished.

If that wasn't bad enough it was impossible to beat Ramue the first time around without using gameshark or spending 45 minutes doing it. The first real boss of the game also took me along time to beat. Who thought a splash of water could keep going for 20 minutes.... there was supposedly some secret in the battle system having to do with a blue gem.... I could never figure it out. Beyond the beyond was my first RPG. Thank God Suikoden keep me from becoming an RPG hater.

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad, I totally agree with you about Sampson but even when you uncurse him he's not as good as he was, oh and about Percy..(Beyond the beyond spoiler)
-
-
-
-
At the very end of the dungeon before(the one before the last)you will battle a Black knight but he is in fact !Percy! to get him back simply don't attack him and after a while he'll join up with you again yah!

Darkmagus, I don't think that your even supposed to beat Ramue you should just finish the puzzle and move on thats what I did, but thats just me. :mrgreen:
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i haven't played that Beyond the Beyond...now i want to play it, to see what all the fuss was about!

But i don't think that Legend of Dragoon was all that bad. Sure, it doesn't have the most originial plot or characters, but i liked the battle thing. With the connecting attacks. I forgot what the name of the things was called. But i had fun with that.

It reminds me a bit of Final Fantasy VII, to be honest. Wait, don't pelt me with rotten vegtables! Hear me out! I was referring to the character graphics. also, the other characters walk out of Dart, the main character, when ever there was an event. And when they are done, they just walk into him, like you do with Cloud. Plus, you can toggle the entries and exits to the place. Do you agree with me on that at least?

Ok, to reinteriate, Legend of Dragoon is not the worst game there. If there was any game...sorry, any RPG to be named the worst of the lot, it would be Shadow Madness. You guys probably never heard of it. Let me give you a skim of it.

The Graphics are terrible. The character development fades very quickly (as in, they start to begin something interesting about the characters, but after a minute, thye become bland again). The story is bad. The Battle System is too boring. But what really made it worse, what that even though it was a 2-disc game, i finished it in less than 24 hours. Yes, it's that short! I believe everyone agrees with me when i say that a proper RPG must be at the very least 30+ long.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gwendal wrote:
But, you forgot to mention that it probably has the best battle system of any RPG ever created! I really adore the battle system. It makes up for most of the shortcomings to me.

Well you could just fight random monsters for hours and you might be happy then. But personally speaking, that kind of battle system is only good for those who are good with that battle system. Most people wouldn't really "master" the system, hence ended up with probably the easy-enough-but-still-dealing-okay-damage attack rather than going to the strongest combo thingy.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: