Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

ethnic food
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
proemthez

9412 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: ethnic food Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hey guys, im starting this thread so we can all see what kind of food do you eat back home. can we like seperate them into foods you eat during normal meals, and maybe hawker food. it would be best if you could post pictures. oh yeah state your country btw.
i live in singapore and we usually eat steamed rice with dishes like uh spinach in gravy, scrambled eggs, steamed/fried fish, stir-fried vegetables (cauliflower, brocoli, mushroom, peas), chicken wings,curry chicken, well theres a lot more but yea...
as fo hawker food, we have laksa( which is noodles in spicy soup), hainanese chicken rice, kwa chap which is again noodles ate with different ingredients like fishcake, tofu, pork, pig's intestines, egg and salted vegetables. oh and theres also roti prata, an indian dish ate with curry, prawn noodles and yea theres a lot mroe again. will try to post pictures next time.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i live in Australia now, but back then 6 months ago, i'm still in Indonesia, Jakarta....
there are many chinese foods in Jakarta, especially an area called Pecenongan (it's around South Jakarta or East i think :roll: )
well, anyway, in Australia now, i still eat rice, some chinese foods and some Indonesian foods too...
i love my mom's cook, it's all very delicious... :)
and i also love to go out to eat some junk foods too by the way.... :mrgreen:
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I come from an Irish background, no lie, it must have carried over through the three generations we've been here because my family's answer to dinner is "Get a bunch of stuff you like, toss in in a pot and boil the hell out of it for a couple days, until its done gnaw on a potato and eat some cheese."

No lie.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm from the U.S. and my mother is a health food fanatic.

We don't eat anything terribly exciting, but we make bread and bread products all the time, a lot of which are based off of German pastries and breads and the like.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I havn't ate any ethnic food since Christmas at my grandma's. She's hardcore german and cookies odd things like purple cabbage and random salads..and things I can't pronounce. I work at a japanese resteraunt..every friday and saturday night Yoshi the head chef cooks us up some amazing japanese meals..last night I had some tempura'd zucchini. onion,chicken wings, and smashed potato that was tempura'ed. That actually tasted amazing with a littel tonkatsu sause..

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A SINGAPOREAN!!! HELLO! Ok, I'm from Sg too. An amazing discovery to find another Singaporean. Haha. No wonder you will create a thread like this. We do have lots of food here. We're quite well-known for our cheap, uniquely Singapore, and delicious food. We've got lots of hawker centres, which are two classes below food-courts, and we've got more coffee-shops, these places sell cheap and very delicious food, ranging from Japanese to Western to Italian to Chinese to Indian to Malay... We even have sub-groups, like, Chinese Food can be separated into different types, like Hainanese chicken rice, Teo Chew noodles, Cantonese kway tiao...

I don't think I understand myself, it's kinda hard to type those dialects when I'm not from those dialect groups. Anyway, food here is great. Even the durians are great. Although they are imported from neighbouring Malaysia. Speaking of that, durians are in season now(I think)...YUMMY!

I actually don't eat Japanese food. I don't know why, but ever since in primary school, when I was forced to eat down some raw fish(I forgot what you call that) in my 'Experience the World in Singapore'(Or something like that) workshop, I vomitted like 3 days of food in me...

But I'm not totally food-savvy, I'm *quite* lazy..I mean busy and most of the time I just buy food from the same stores. Anyway, see ya around, my fellow Singaporean!

9412 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

anyhow i rarely see japanese stores selling ramen here, that or they don't cook it well. tonkichi sells ramen though, and they are quite all right compared to other places like ajisem ramen or sakae sushi
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

im from the philippines and basically, the most important part of everyone here in the southeast asian region is of course, rice. well usually my daily meal is made up of:

breakfast - bread with some mayo or butter
sometimes, i insert a small (as in small) meal here
lunch - rice with some local dishes made by my parents
insert meal around 3 in the afternoon
dinner - basically rice (just like lunch) but im on diet now so usually, i eat oats (w00t fiber!). :P

@zorrow - is durian (that is if the fruit youre talking about is the same as to what im talking about) really that delicious (ive heard its smelly)? never tasted that fruit before because its from some part of my country far from my place.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm about as un-ethnic as they get. Add to the fact that I'm at school most of the year, where the cafeteria isn't really culture-friendly, and the results aren't very tasty.

From August-May of each year my meals generally go like this:
Breakfast- Coffee/Tea, and I attempt to force down some oatmeal or a muffin. I hate breakfast.
Lunch- When I can possibly get it, I'll eat the vegan selection my school makes, because it has been generally very good in the past. If not then I'll grab nachos or something.
Dinner- Basically the same thing as lunch, but I'm also inclined to eat chicken more often at dinner.

See what I mean? Horrible. Home is a different story.

Breakfast- HA! What breakfast? Nobody's up to make this, and I'm lazy, so it goes uneaten. It's basically breakfast time right now, but there's nothing to make so I'm sitting here starving :P.
Lunch- Fend for yourself. Generally I buy this. Yesterday I bought a prosciutto sandwich, but the people who made it did a really poor job, so I went home and cooked the remaining half myself while adding additional spinach and a bit of lime juice and it was awesome.

Dinner- Dinner can be pretty good generally. My father's side of the family is Pennsylvania Dutch (We make pretzels and help the amish raise barns and stuff. Well, not we as in my family, but those other guys that I've never met.) so the general rule is anything that combines sweet and salty together works well. Also I think culturally they make a lot of things with sausage . . . OH and we're responsible for scrapple too! You're welcome.

I'm 1/4 Czechoslovakian on my Mom's side, so we've been known to have Halupki, which is oddly delicious. It's basically meat wrapped in cabbage cooked in a soup-thing. Or something like that, my parents are known for improvising things, so maybe I'm completely off.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*sways in the wind*

Not only don't I eat ethnic foods regularly, but I've never really had anything ever. I guess when you grow up with parents who don't ever eat ethnic foods you're basically stuck not doing so yourself unless you make friends that are all about it. Strangely enough my friends are all about fast food and bars.
*steals Masaya's Grandma's orthopedic shoes*
*makes rustling noises*

Basically all I ever eat is water and sunshine. It's a lot better than it sounds.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet assassin wrote:
I come from an Irish background, no lie, it must have carried over through the three generations we've been here because my family's answer to dinner is "Get a bunch of stuff you like, toss in in a pot and boil the hell out of it for a couple days, until its done gnaw on a potato and eat some cheese."

No lie.

Must be a different Ireland to the one I live in. ;)

Sure you didn't mean "I come from a lazy background, no lie"? :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
proemthez

9412 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hehe i read in a story book, now Last Juror by John Grisham was it, that the people there cook up chicken stew, garden vegetables and wierd beans. sounds really yummy to me so i got my mom to cook chicken stew... and it was exactly what i was looking for. mashed potato wiith peas and chicken for dinner sounds really cool.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Old Ireland John. Ya know, traditional. Also the English and the Scottish probably dilute it a little. Really I just wind up eating whatever's bland.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Banned34

32508 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, my father was from England, and mom is half italian and french. So as far as ethnic foods go for meals, occasionally.

Breakfast- English Breakfast Tea

Dinner- Every pasta you can name

Otherwise I survive on a combination of sushi, ramen, thai, and roast beef sandwiches.
Zorrow

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks like lots of people have lots of identities..

dark-knight wrote:

@zorrow - is durian (that is if the fruit youre talking about is the same as to what im talking about) really that delicious (ive heard its smelly)? never tasted that fruit before because its from some part of my country far from my place.

Extremely delicious. But it does stink at times though. I mean, if you put it in the fridge for like half an hour, the smell stays there for a week. If you just eat a little bit, you need to gurgle litres of water to get rid of the smell in your mouth.

But still, yummy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: