Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Our health care is better than your health care
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Our health care is better than your health care Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Canadians healthier than Americans, study says

This is not new, but it is recent. A recent study performed by the Harvard Medical School has reviewed the quality of health of people in Canada to the quality of health of people in the United States.

In an interview with one of the researchers on CTV, she specifically said that it was dangerous for Canada to go down the path of privitization, and told Canadians not to adopt a health care system like the US, as it ends up costing more money, and returning fewer results. She advised that, to more results from the public health care system, that more money can be iinvested to reduce wait times and to make more doctors available.

The article itself (which I have not read) appears here. You need a subscription to access it though, which is likely available from a University library (if you access it within their network).

So is this good ammunition against the trend of privatization of health care? Is the American system truly bad? Do Americans here purposely avoid regular medical checkups on the fear that it will cost too much?

Health care is a sensitive issue to many Canadians. Is it a big issue for Americans as well?
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Health care is mostly a big issue for Americans who cannot afford it...which is a lot of us. The American way of dealing with things as a whole is that we visit a doctor when something is wrong, not on a regular basis. Money may be an issue, but I believe it's not the primary reason, at least for me personally. The fact I can't really afford to is one of the lesser reasons. "Why should I go in and see a doctor when I feel healthy?" is the general idea. This is probably brought on by years of it costing us an arm and a leg (no puns intended) though. There are several advertising campaigns out there now in the US trying to get people to go in for various regular medical screenings.

As for when we're actually sick and need to see a doctor, then yes, it's the money usually that keeps us from going. If I feel like it'll blow over and I'll be better in a week or it appears to be getting better on its own, even slowly, then I won't go to the doctor. No point in seeing them and hearing that I just have a bad head cold, for example. However, I am biased since my mother is a registered nurse and for years told me to "tough it out."

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome. go canada! woo.

I wanted to go to the hospital at like 10:00 pm cuz i was having chest pains Pretty baddly but I HAD To wait Almost ALL night in the god dang Waiting room. I got there at 10:00pm and left at 4:00 am It was crap But free. So the only downside of canada's health care.

turns out i pulled a muscle in my chest. weird.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well . . . I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess. There are at least 8 nurses in my immediate family and first degree families. My mother is a Nurse Practitioner. The other friends I hang with are now LVN's. An aunt is a pharmacist. We know an Orthodontist and an optometrist. And for all I know it's probably bigger than that. There's a huge network going on. If we can't get what we need, we ask another family friend, and it's done just like that. It surprises me sometimes.

The kids of my family are stressed into the medical field. Unusually enough, most of them turned out liking the hardship they had to go through. Most of us like biology, chemistry, and all those subjects needed to excel in healthcare. I'm not into it as much as they are. I'd rather be writing.

Mom constantly calls me up to go to her clinic to get the latest flu shot and routine checkup. I go in, wait about 15 minutes, get the stuff done, and then get out. I feel kind of bad going in before the other people waiting in the office. That's the perks, though.

I do agree that healthcare in particular is a problem with other people that I know. There isn't an easy way to take care of it, though.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well. Thanks to recent..revisions to Health Care, My Grandmother now has to find a way to Shell out $550 a month for the medicine she will DIE without. Bet you rHospitals are better than ours are too.So, yeah. I'm pretty Sure Canada's Health Care IS better.

..I wanna go to Canada. ;.;

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's no secret that the U.S. Government is only out for its own. The working class constantly get the shaft as far as benefits go. We don't make enough to afford private insurance or poor enough for welfare.

Then there's the case of my grandparents where disability paid squat, and SS even less.(just more consistant)

My grandpa's last hospital stay cost him over $1000 dollars, and that was just for being in the room for one night.

Are there any hotels that charge $1000 dollars a night for a single bed?

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its good to have it proven, but I've always thought that Canada had a better health care system than us. A national system that covers everyone is definately better than some people not being able to pay for it because some doctor has to pay a lot of money just to cover his malpractice.

Quote:
Are there any hotels that charge $1000 dollars a night for a single bed?

yea i can think of some - Kempinski Hotel Ajman as well as the Emirates Palace. the two hotels in UAE that were amde with our oil money. they are the most extravagant hotels I have ever seen.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the Canadian system is rife with potential waits, which really pisses Canadians off, in general. I think some people are at the stage where they think that they should be able to trade time for money like you can in many other services. If you pay more for a courier, you can get a package shipped faster. If you pay more for a direct flight, you get to your destination faster. Why shouldn't you be able to pay and get treatment faster?

I think a big fear of Canadians is that people will start getting different levels of care. Wait times is one thing, but the idea of differing quality levels is another thing. Few Canadians want to see a system where you pay to get better care than someone else. Some fears include the fear that doctors will only serve private clinics and that many of them will sit around with nothing to do since they serve rich people whereas the second-rate doctors serve all of the "poor people".

I believe Taiwan has a different economic model where the doctors and nurses and the care is generally the same, but you can pay money and do things like skip wait queues and rent private hopsital rooms. So even though your doctor is the same doctor who treats the poor person, you can pay $400 a night to get a private room that looks like it came out of a 5-star hotel.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doesn't Alberta have a hybrid system? I'm not sure though.

Our health care rocks. We get taxed like crazy for it, but it's a great system. Only knowing a bit about the US system, I'm glad I live in Canada. I'm not sure what other countries health care system are like, though I'm sure some have free health care. I wonder what they have done to address the waits.

Spending 8 hours in the emergency ward waiting to get your broken arm set is a test of patience. 2 months for an MRI is too long and maternity ward is still way to slow in getting rooms for pregnant mothers.

A lot of our problems may stem from the lax rules in place before. People would fly to Canada to give birth to their child, thus granting their child free health care. The parent(s) would then fly back with their Canadian born child to wherever they live. Likewise, many people had immigrated for free health care, of that I am sure.

It's only been the last 5-10 years that they've begun putting stops to those kinds of exploitations. I believe you have to have lived in Canada for a certain amount of time and I'm sure there are other restrictions. I don't know them however as I've never needed to look into them.

All the problems we have, I still consider our health care one of the greatest benefits to being a Canadian.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm Canadian too, and yeah we actually have a really nice health care system. We do get taxed prety hard for it, but it's really nice to know if something goes wrong we have something to fall back on.

It sucks when you get stuck in a waiting room for hours at a hospital though. I find the doctors office runs super easy, since it's all done in appoints and such. Clinics are busy, but that's expected. It's just stupid people who go to the emergency room for a head cold or something and waste the doctors time. Yes.. you have a head cold, here's some advil, go home. Oy.

All in all though, the system is still a pretty good idea and wonderful benefit.

-My DeviantArt-
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry, but I totally disagree with the ideas in this topic. An inefficient, expensive public health care system is not the type I want in my country. Nevermind the fact that for those in America who do have insurance are surely receiving better care than under any public health system. While I cannot read the article in question since I do not have a subscription, I sense that most of the reasons behind the worse health of Americans is that many of us just don't take care of ourselves. Example: Look at the obesity rate, if people actually sucked it up and got it under control there would be far fewer problems.

The government has no responsibility to provide health care for its citizens, with the exception of the extremely disabled who cannot find work and have appropriately higher expenses. I have no intention to take a massive tax hike and see worse health care in return.

Plus, the idea that the Harvard doctor insists that the public health care system remain in Canada reeks of political maneuvering. Harvard is stationed right at the ..let's say left-of-center stronghold on the east coast of the US. Liberals in the US have been clamoring for a public health care system for years, despite its many faults. If Canada, the "shining beacon" of wasted tax money and big-government spending in North America were to get rid of their public health care system, there would be no chance of America getting public health care.

SUMMARY: My tax dollars will never go to a public health care system. I'd like to choose my own, thank you.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:
Sorry, but I totally disagree with the ideas in this topic. An inefficient, expensive public health care system is not the type I want in my country. Nevermind the fact that for those in America who do have insurance are surely receiving better care than under any public health system. While I cannot read the article in question since I do not have a subscription, I sense that most of the reasons behind the worse health of Americans is that many of us just don't take care of ourselves. Example: Look at the obesity rate, if people actually sucked it up and got it under control there would be far fewer problems.

Obesity rate between American boys and Canadian boys do not differ significantly. Canadian girls are less likely to be overweight. However, this suggests that saying things like, "Oh, Americans are more fat than Canadians" is not a very strong argument in this case.

I believe the article argues that part of the reason why Americans do not take care of themselves is because the cost of seeing a doctor is so high. Also, the news report states that the study concludes that the public system is more efficient than the private system, so you would need a counter-source that says the public system is inefficient and expensive.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In response to Arcana: the obesity thing was an example, and the obesity rates between boys is not the only rate I was talking about (re: adults). But the point is moot. Take a look at this article, from a British source.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/Canada.pdf (don't worry, it's safe)

Some of the more interesting tidbits...

Quote:
Median waiting times remain higher in every category than are deemed ‘clinically reasonable' median waiting times by physicians in 2005. (Fraser Institute, 2005, Chart 14.) Overall, 85 per cent of median waiting times are higher than clinically reasonable waiting times. (Fraser Institute, p. 27.) In 2005 Canadians waited 12.3 weeks for an MRI scan, 5.5 weeks for a CT-scan and 3.4 weeks for an ultrasound. (Fraser Institute, Chart 16.) In 2002, Canada had fewer CT scanners per 1,000 population than the OECD average (10.8 compared with 19). Similarly, it had only 4.7 MRI scanners per 1,000 population compared with an OECD average of 7.9. Unsurprisingly, many choose to fly south to the US for diagnosis and treatment. Canada ranked 24th out of 27 OECD countries in 2002 for the number of doctors per 1,000 population. It had 2.3 compared with an OECD average of 2.9. A key factor behind these statistics is the inability of the Canadian system to provide even equipment deemed basic, let alone new technology. Dozens of diagnostic and therapeutic products developed decades ago, in widespread use in other countries, are relatively unavailable to Canadians.

But I found this to be more telling...

Quote:
• Gratzer (2001) highlights three problems within the Canadian single-payer (government) healthcare model. First, accountability is poor and aggravated by the Federal structure. Second, decision-making is politicised. Third, single-payer government control leads to a lack of innovation. These three lead to a lack of responsiveness to patient needs or wants.
• Aba et al (2002) argue that Canadian health care is inefficient in that financing (lack of direct payment) does not encourage users and providers of health care to be accountable for the economic benefits and costs of services.
• Single-payer tax financed healthcare lends itself to rationing. Waiting times (owing to rationing by queuing) are a serious concern to Canadians. These are often caused by the lack of availability to medical technology. Again, this is reminiscent of the UK: A recently released report from the UK Audit Commission (2002) reveals "there are relatively short waits for general X-rays but waiting times for some other examinations are excessive. For example, the average wait for general ultrasound is eight weeks and 20 weeks for MRI scans, with a quarter million people waiting for these examinations alone. Tellingly, usage of different items of equipment varies by a factor of two or more across similar departments. For example, some MRI scanners are used for 4,000 examinations a year, but others are used for fewer than 2,000 examinations". Such scenarios can be found with ease in the Canadian press. • Despite poor availability in Canada of advanced medical technology, international comparison reveals pretty good healthcare outcomes — generally better than those in the USA and the UK and more akin to those associated with high spending European social insurance systems such as France and Switzerland (OECD). Life expectancy is high, cancer survival rates are good and deaths from IHD and stroke are average.
• So yes, it ‘works', in that on many measures it delivers a broadly acceptable level of healthcare. But so much depends on what one wants from a health system. On most objective measures the Canadian system at best disappoints, and at worst is simply unacceptable in a wealthy, modern nation, particularly when expenditure is considered. The Dutch with their highly regulated system have recently begun to feel this more strongly and look set to embrace markets with renewed vigour in order to get more for their money and to enable healthcare supply more closely to reflect demand.
• So why does Canada perform relatively well? Studies have shown that a number of non-health system related factors affect health outcomes. Perhaps the high level of expenditure is important. Canada also benefits from lower levels of income inequality than the US and UK. Tobacco consumption is low in comparison to OECD member countries.

And finally...

Quote:
In 2004, total health expenditure was estimated at $130 billion, about 10 per cent of GDP (Ibid). This is estimated to be around $4,078 per person. Latest OECD figures on spending per person is for year 2002, when it reports Canada spent $2,931 per person using purchasing power parities (PPPs), up from $2587 as used in report. This was the third highest, below the USA and Switzerland.

Since you'd probably notice this part, allow me to address this...in the US, if you're not sick, you don't pay. In Canada, EVERYBODY pays. So forgive me if I'd rather not pay $4000+ a year for worse care that I might not even use. Moreover, that's 10% of the GDP. Imagine that sort of bloated bureaucracy in America, with a population substantially higher. Thanks but no thanks.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In America, when you're in a serious traffic accident, and you are in a condition, unless you have insurance, hospitals will only stabalize you, and cannot actively try to make you better. This seems very wrong to me. I think if you have a bullet in your lung, regardless of whether you have health insurance, you should be treated. I am not in favor of those who do not have money, dying.

In ethics, we talked about Peter Singer. His basic ideology was that not helping a kid right next to you who is dying is the exact same thing as not helping someone far away starving or whatnot. He thought it was man's obligation to help other man regardless of kinsmanship, and to send all money that you do not need to other countries with starving, poor and sick. Of course, this is the same man who completely follows speciesism; the idea that killing a cow and a man is basically the same thing.

I do not fully agree with Singer, but there is some sense in what he says. I think we should try help everyone, regardless of status or kinsmanship. But, to have the money to help others, you have to spend more money bettering yourself. In a modern economy, at least. If we send all our money overseas the economy suffers.

But, I'm getting off-topic. The point is, people deserve Health Care. I am unsure though if the American Economy can support it. I think we should cut some other programs for it, but some of those are popular programs supported by Wealthy constituents. I also think that there are complexes, similar to a Miltary-Industral complex, that prevent it.

I think most Americans want Universal Healthcare, but they think it is stupid because our economy cannot support it.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade, interesting read, although it does not match up to a study of quantitative standard as the Harvard one. The article only argues using reason and is unfortunately not comparative like the Harvard one. I think that is the main draw of the Harvard study above. It is a comparative, quantitative study and does more than attempt to argue the facts based on historical trends and spending trends.

Quote:
Since you'd probably notice this part, allow me to address this...in the US, if you're not sick, you don't pay. In Canada, EVERYBODY pays. So forgive me if I'd rather not pay $4000+ a year for worse care that I might not even use. Moreover, that's 10% of the GDP. Imagine that sort of bloated bureaucracy in America, with a population substantially higher. Thanks but no thanks.

The point is that, if you're not sick in Canada, you still have the opportunity to obtain preventative medical treatments (semi-annual checkups, for example) that are useful for monitoring and maintaining general heath. Also, as Brecht said, there's also the situation with severe accidents and other tragic medical situations. If you get in a serious accident or become ill, the medical bills can easily run you into the ground. Canadian Health Care, in many ways, is mandatory, but guaranteed insurance.

Yes, you might be paying $4000 a year for something you may or may not use, but when you're paying insurance, you are also paying N dollars a year to protect yourself against something that may or may not happen. Except the reality is that you get more benefits out of health care (regular checkups, the opportunity to go to a clinic if you fall suddenly ill, screening for common diseases and disorders, etc.) than you would out of even car insurance or home insurance. You pay home insurance every year, but those dollars you pay in don't give you ANY benefits at all.

This is not to say that health care is cheap. It isn't. It needs money and it needs maintenance and needs to be upkept with vigilance. But it apparently has resulted in improving the general state of the nation's health and is a source of pride for many Canadians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: