Suikoden United and Irenic Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Al Qaeda leader in Iraq killed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Al Qaeda leader in Iraq killed Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/08/iraq.al.zarqawi/index.html

The Cliffs Notes: The US successfully found and bombed Abu Musab al-Zarquawi's safe house yesterday, and today confirmed that he died in the blast.

The story of how he was detected (as I've seen both online and on TV) is very interesting, since it seems to include Jordanian agents, Iraqi civilians, US+British Special Forces, and perhaps a traitor in Al Qaeda's midst.

I think in the short term this means more attacks (retribution, etc) but in the long term it's a major victory for the US and Iraq. Though somebody will inevitably take over Al Qaeda in Iraq, it would be hard for them to match the charisma and leadership of Zarqawi. Thank God that monster is dead.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've read about this in another forum elsewhere, so I've seen it.

Zarqawi has been pwned. This may be a good sign in the war against terrorisms, but never will those Al-Qaedans rest, I tell you. They'll still get retribution, but I don't think they can do what they want.

Things like these just make me wish that all the terrorists and Bush would make-up and give flowers to each other. War is STUPID.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

good ridence to him. hopefully they won't try to retaliate, since after all if they do they will also die.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Things like these just make me wish that all the terrorists and Bush would make-up and give flowers to each other. War is STUPID.

I don't think it's in terrorist nature to "make-up and give flowers" well unless the flowers are bombs to bring their brand of justice... and make-up? They prefer a more natural look... (Boo)

Anyway it's always good when a terrorist is killed, but you know a new one will appear soon to take their place.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't think I'd say this about another human, but I'm glad he's dead. He gave so many people so much misery that it's a fitting end. To be blown up.

There will be retaliation, sadly. That's certain. Hopefully, it won't last too long, and hopefully too many people will be killed in that time.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know that they did before don't you? Where do you think Al Qaeda go their weapons from in the firsy place?

When will people learn that killing just brings more death in the long run?

If they new where he was they should of arrested him and tried him like a civilised society should do, not blow up everything, i wonder how many other people died during this strike?

There will always be terrorists, this rediculous war is not winnable by either side.
Username

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course not, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. There always needs to be a counter force or "evil" will run rampant. It's a sad turn of events that the weapons given to them are now being used against good people, but they would have gotten similar weapons anyhow by this time.

Plus we don't negotiated with them so why arrest them? You've seen what happens, they hold up the process for much too long. It would be best, but if they had tried to arrest him there would have been great odds of him escaping. In war nothing is civilized except for the tools of death used.

Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wish this war was as simple as sitting down and discussing it. When it comes to radical zealots, you can't speak of peace. Not when they feel they have a cause to fulfill.

It's ironic that, when Saddam was in power, there was peace, and now that there is a democracy, there are suicide bombers killing themselves, and several others. Of course, Saddam did kill many people too, but there weren't many uprisings about it.

Te sooner everything settles down in the Middle-East, the better it'll be for all of us.

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1000 years ago...

Guy number 1: Hey you know what Te sooner everything settles down in the Middle-East, the better it'll be for all of us.

Guy number 2: Yeah...

Oh course I don't think it would have been called the middle-East 1000 years ago, but you catch my drift... neglecting the fact English wasn't around back then either...

Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

War is hell, and I think it's a little too idealistic to think that we could just negotiate with the type of person who saws the head off of helpless captives. That being said, if the US could have captured him alive reliably, they definitely would have done so as to wring information out of him. But, as we're seeing with the Saddam trial now, a civilian trial for a known war criminal is sometimes not ideal. It is slow, unwieldly, and sometimes fails (such as when Zaccarias Moussaoui got off with only a life sentence)

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess all we can hope is maybe taking him done is one more step closer onto bringing this war to close. It's been going on for quite some time and it's about time I guess some results were shown. Even though the loss of a life is still a loss of a life. War isn't fun at all...(Unless it's on suikox ^.^).

Acording to one of my friends, this guys been dead for quite some time now. They just wanted to wait till some opertune time to tell everyone. Like possiblily this guys been dead for months if not more. I don't know if thats hard to belief or not., I mean how much is released to the media and then how much the media is telling us.

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure that I believe that. I mean it seems like it could happen, but only if the government and the media were the same, or if the media was controled by the government. Because there are a lot of news reporters and such in the war zone, and they would have heard about something that big, I mean listening for this stuff is their job. Of course one reason I'm skeptic is because I see the news media as playing a big game of hot potatoe, and they really don't want to lose, so they just keep passing whatever they get from anywhere on to the public. I'm for freedom of the press, don't get me wrong.

Also, another reason for bombing his hideout could have been the possible loss of our troops lives, because we might have known were he was hiding but we might not have known what he had done with the place (in so far as boobytraps), and how many people he was hiding with. Basically there could have been too many unknowns to justify the risk of the troops lives.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Based on what I have heard, Abu Musab al-Zarquawi was kind of a puppet. He declared himself the leader of Al-Quaeda in Iraq after Saddam fell, and is pretty much a nobody, especially when compared to Osama Bin Laden. Although he orchestrated a number of attacks, he was more a symbolic figure with a face and name than a really huge threat. The fact that he declared himself leader was kind of what put him "on the map" so to speak. In the short term, violence will likely increase out of desperation (and rage), and the fragmented group might have to regroup in order to execute more attacks. It seems to me that terrorist organizations are never that organized though and usually just carry out occasional car bombings and suicide attacks when it comes to place like Iraq. They just seem to kick a day and then execute the plan. It doesn't seem like tey would, for instance, plan an operation in military style.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, the way it's being presented by American military experts is that Zarqawi was the arm. Bin Laden is the mind and spirit of certain areas of Al Queda and Zarqawi was the active leader, but was collectively despised by a large faction within Al Queda itself. Sometimes it has been presented as a sort of internal power struggle between those who were more loyal to Bin Laden and those who were more loyal to Zarqawi. He was important enough to name his succesor and to have it be a big deal, but his succesor died before he did. However, what most people aren't realizing is that Zarqawi was not really concerned with the American presence in Iraq, he was more interested in butchering his own people.

His family spoke out earlier today, I'm quoteing his sister on this one: "I hope this isn't true, but if it is he got what he deserved." This seems to epitomize this man's existence to me. He was despised by those he called comrades, and thus it's not a big surprise that he was apparently sold out by a member of his inner circle.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

they just wanna rule over other countries to get their nature resources like fuel etc...
and the other thing is that Bin Laden hid some kind of virus which could make people suffer in weeks and then die...
it's very dangerous and America don't want that kind of virus to spread everywhere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: