Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

the attack on EZ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: the attack on EZ Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just wondering, maybe we need our own discussion on it, even if it has passed, and old news, but what do you guys think about the attack on EZ board. Besides being thankfull that we moved off of it.

from what I hear it was a horrific attack, like an message board oblerating lazer gun, many people lost everything on their forums, some don't use theirs anymore but keep the for historical reasons.

The strangest coincidance is, around the time it was launced "I" lost a forum I go to by the hands of a very vengefull, board sad man. It was just one forum an he took out all the posts by logging in as the admin. but the conicidence is spooky. It was an outdated invision board.

so why not discuss....the horrors of Hacking, cracking and clean slating forums and BBS systems.

do you think its possible that PHPBB systems can be at risk? or are they more indivudiualized and have higher security?

I don't know. I'm not good with these things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I havn't heard about attack son EZboard, but all those that belong to me still exist, fortunately.

EZboard is expecially prone because they are basically "borrowed" boards located on a colony of servers that are all connected.

phpBB on the other hand is located on whatever server the owner has; it's not connected to other boards (unless you make it that way).

Of course, that deosn't mean it's more secure; phpBB has an assortment of problems. I am sure even this forum can be hacked by a determined and resourceful hacker. However, I have many backups for this forum, and thus the whole board can be restored even if it gets hacked.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh SARS (such a bad nickname....I must call you somthing other..I know what it means here) you must try and make plenty of friends :P. we wouldn't want your web page to have a history of another one I knew and loved so dearly. Try not to inrage anyone....or its kablooy time.

You can read the history of what happend on EZ's hack, on their site. I read updates somone posted in their journal because, they roleplay on one.

I just want ot see how others think. Its pretty scarry, what will be attacked next? think some psyco wants to bring down a site itsself? or is EZ riddld with security holes? I liked EZ for the sole reason for the reason that I don't need a "gazillion accounts".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
Oh SARS (such a bad nickname....I must call you somthing other..I know what it means here)

Call him Sadmin ^_^
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why not Blue Moon? I resist the urge to call him it but it works better as a internet handle, I suppose than SARSadmin.

Anyway. EZboards and any free board hosted at a central network is always going to be a target. Such boards usually have low security and a lot of them are created by and cater to the lowest common denomiator, hence the arrogant, angry hacker who gets 'revenge' on an unprotected board made by someone who can't preform a basic back-up.

This happens a lot more than most people realise and only gets picked up upon when a forum that's managed to make itself popular despite its location is attacked. It's not particulary scary or new.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is very unfortunate for those people who relied on the EZ board servers for various things of this purpose and that. Thankfully the boards have never consistently been visited by yours truly so it wouldnt be any worry to me. I do sympathize with those webmasters and such who decided to use those types of boards for their websites and such. They essentially lost all of it when that attack happened. Though I have neither heard anything until now about any such attack nor have I witnessed it's effects first hand.

Anyways thats all I have to say for now have a good day all.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Why not Blue Moon?

Because he is SARSadmin. See what happens when you try to post "bm".
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He was Blue moon....I guess I could go with his name. or combine any of them.

anywho hurrah for PHP. acctualt some EZs you can have a "gold membership" with no ads. I'm banned for life from a community that has been using EZ sence ITW went bankrupt. ITW propbly would of been the easist to hack, I mean you barly made accounts.

what is funny is I'm banned from the place, and they people in the live chat apparenlty Bush and Christain bash to their hearts convent and make "rape-jokes" meanwhile I'm banned for mocking dumb reasions, aside from jumping one. oh well they got it now. You need ballance in a community. Otherwise you get a fluff party filled with a popularity contenst. who needs that? Its just a shame a million other EZ boads needed to get hurt.

anyone guessing what could be attacked next?

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
John Layfield wrote:
Why not Blue Moon?

Because he is SARSadmin. See what happens when you try to post "bm".

THAT IS A CHALLANGE I AM WILLING TO TRY.

Ahem, hem, hem....

BLUEEEE MOOOOOOOOON
YOU SAW ME STANDING AAAARRROUND
WITHOUT A DREAM IN MY HEAAARRTTT
WITHOUT A LOVE OF MY OOOOWWWWN
(Wawawawawah)
BLUUUEEE MOOOOOOOOON
YOU KNEW JUST WHAT I WAS THEEERE FO- *is dragged off stage and beaten senselessly* Oh god, the pain....X_X

*ahem*

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the attack, but I think it's sad a lot of people lost everything on their forums. I'm not a big fan of eazyboard boards (those people spam (or used to spam) my inbox like woah) but I do feel for those who had everything on them and thought they were safe only to have all that info flushed away. (And as a history geek, it irritates me records of the times were ereased in that way, too.)

I think it's evitably sites will be attacked, though. So long as you have hackers, you'll have sites attacked. I certainly won't want to make any predictions though.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, Sophita... Did you take your ritalin today? :lol:

Anyway, I personally would rather see this board hacked by some loser with nothing better to do in their spare time, than listen to that aweful wretched "Blue Moon" song from back in the 50's or whatever... That seriously would be up there in my top 10 list of worst songs of all time.

Heh, I'm just glad I only had to read it in text-form, but I hope you feel bad by making the evil voices in my head sing that song, as I was reading you words, Sophita...

And if you're wondering how I would know about it, it has to do with being scarred by my parents who only listened to the oldies station all the time... Oh well, at least I was exposed to The Beatles too, right? :mrgreen:

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, this is nothing new to me actually. I've had a couple of my invision boards destroyed by former friends who happened to guess the passwords of my idiot ADMINs when I happened to be away from my computer (yet another reason I must never go to that OUTside place.) Invision just happens to be craptacular though. However, being 17 years old and needing a place to put up RPs, a messageboard that costs nothing seems like the best option right?

*Hopes he wasn't the only person stupid enough to try the sort of thing*

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

omigod...I so need to make passwords no one will ever guess, not even me. like nonsence mixed with l33t speek. then again I had one for a long time, that is what the featherd animal is called, seeing as how my account was ceruleanphoenix, you'd think somone would break in "OMg its bird isn't it" now I need to check what i wrote down everytime I need to go in.

but yeah. Invision seems to be easy pickings. and again, same story with You Scarlet. only...well I don't know how bitter your ties are. I mean the invision that fell was part of a community with bad, bad history. Ecco sites sholdn't be at war with each other.

Quote:
Anyway, I personally would rather see this board hacked by some loser with nothing better to do in their spare time, than listen to that aweful wretched "Blue Moon" song from back in the 50's or whatever... That seriously would be up there in my top 10 list of worst songs of all time.

we have security and backups apparently. but the server I heard wasn't doing so hot. be carefull what you wish for, somone was playing with me and pushed me to say "maybe this forum shold be attacked". that night it was. sometimes people get board or hate. I'm sure some banned and deleted members are upset and would come back with a vengence. I mean If they weren't warned and all. who knows.
some attack and mock horrbly. so...yeh why not kill two birds with one stone Sai, take down all posts, make a site mocking the members of the conqured site.
thats what you do. you also log in as admins and post with their names.

but for ez. who knows. maybe somone thought them to be the supreme evil. I'm sad for the loss of history as well. I'm supprised the EZ forum I hate hasn't moved. It took them two years to take somone esle's advice to make the site/forum a certain way, even when I was on good terms with them. how long will it take for them to use something else? *smacks head*

you should always archive history, more so if you role play or say "the forum is the site"

@ Sophita. wow...the singing.( well at least you didn't try to hum on the interent like I do. or..make up songs like my IRC songs...Nina the hyena was pretty good I admit.), if people hate your singing on line...maybe you can be valuable to a "web war" :P insted of my idea of "tactics"

ps: sorry for the hoping back and foruth from exact reveleance. it does have somthing to do with the other. so its not like I said "i like pizza" and left.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: