Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Games You Regret Not Playing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, there is one game I really and truly regret deeply for not playing. It is called Warsong (Langrisser in Japan) and it is a really superb Strategy RPG, which was released on the Genesis (Sega Megadrive) a short time ago, back in 1991. Hey what game on the Genesis wasn't made a long time ago? Anyhow I wanted to post about my feelings for this game over in the TRPG Thread, but I don't want to double post (even though it would be extremely relevant).

This game is a little soft and short on the storyline aspect, but few games can boast enormously spectacular and intriguing stories for the Genesis (not saying that a good few do.) The battle system is pretty good in my books, and is very similar to how you play the major war battles in Suikoden 2, hey they probably base theirs from Warsong's. Your unit/soldier has a health value of ten (much like Advance Wars) which means ten soldiers under the units command. Every character in the game has 10, so it is not something you can really add more to.

Now when you attack an enemy, just think of what happens when you attack someone in Suikoden 2's war battles, or the same goes for the Advance Wars. I really like the commander unit's in this game, they are very powerful, therefore usually not to be messed with by use of weak units. They have a good magic power/sword slash etc, that keeps you away. It is very hard to do damage to them, unless your basic soldiers are very strong, or you just soften them up with your own commanders.

The graphics are not too bad, I enjoy them and I only started playing this game in 2005, so that proves that supreme graphics are not necessary for me at all. Very basic, a tad worse than that of the Shining Force series...okay a good deal worse, but again, they are fine enough for me. I do like the animations when you attack someone though, and they put in a good effort (for back when this game was made) for the backgrounds.

A good few people still enjoy this game to this day, as I have seen a few forums here and there that talk about it. Over at Gamefaqs it is a bit slow, but two pages worth of threads is a good amount for such an aged game. Of course since this game is so old, find a ROM of it if you can and give it a whirl to test it out, though I only recommend this is you a not a graphics-nut, and are someone who appreciates fine TRPGS. And of course, don't forget to delete your ROM after 24 hours...*cough*.

So I finish by saying this is a game I wish I had of got into sooner, I loved it straight away. It easily provides a good challenge, which is the way all Strategy RPGs should be. You get a prologue before each level, but that is pretty much it, though you do get small amounts of conversation before and after each stage. I can safely say I would give this game a definite 8/10. I am amazed about how many fine TRPGs I can still come across these days, my search is never over, to which I am glad. My quest to own 100 TRPGs is very quickly becoming a swift reality. Therefore, great topic, Ced The Lad.
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I shouldve picked up Phantom Brave & Disgaea. I ot La Pucelle, Ill never find the other 2. :cry:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: