Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dungoen and Dragons...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Dungoen and Dragons... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have you ever played a game and thought wow this would make a great campaign for D&D. I am in the middle of playing a suikoden based RPG, and I always thought that the concept for Dragon Warrior VII would also make an excellent RPG. To make a long story short, the main characters are on an small island. There are no other signs of life, besides fish in the sea. One day Hero and his friend the prince go into a tomb, and find stone fragments that fit onto stone tables making slabs. When a table is complete they are pulled into a vortex only to find they are in a new land. They go on advenvtures there, defeat some evil, and when they get back, an island(or section of the world) appears. I've always wanted to make an RPG based on this, but never quite got it together. Do you think this could sustain an entire campagain?
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*facepalms* That's rather awesome that you bring this point up, Earthquake923.

Needless to say, I completely agree with you. IN FACT, my original intention for joining this forum was to find out a little more about Suikoden and to gather ideas and opinons for making a Suikoden-based Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting.

In fact, you can read the very first post I made on these forum here:

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1744

It seems you have posted there, already. Any other thoughts would be welcome. Just to clarify, I pretty much was thinking about following the stories of the original Suikoden games. (Mostly I & II) and later on the Higheast Rebellion. You know, going with the main stuff. An interesting idea, but oh well. I'm sure there are differing ideas.

Your idea sounds ok. Just think out the big picture of what you want to happen, then flesh out the little details. Good luck on your work!

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think D&D would be good for Suikoden. Simply because of classes, and because the system is very restrictive.

Personally, I think the D20 Modern system (also made by the same people that made D&D) would work well, but only for the base classes. D&D gives you classes like cleric, druid, wizard, and bard...but D20 Modern gives you Fast Hero, Smart Hero, Strong Hero, and such. Thats six base classes, each based of the six base ability scores.

But its your choice, heh. Personally, I like the white-wolf system best.

^Actual quote!
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love D&D, but I haven't played it in a while...Dragon Warrior 7 seems like a great idea with which to start a game, I never even thought of that. I'll have to give that a try.

As for Suikoden...it's weird, but I think of the expanded Suikoverse as being so large that I could never handle DMing all that...I'd be afraid to make stuff up, in fear I'd ruin the "canon"!

Yeah, that's a weird trait. But whatever. I'll probably give it a go sometime if my group will let me.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have the same fear, and it's why I've never run a Suikoden RPG. I don't want to ruin the canon! I wouldn't want to make a country up and then have it be replaced on the map by something from Suikoden 5.

^Actual quote!
Earthquake923

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:

As for Suikoden...it's weird, but I think of the expanded Suikoverse as being so large that I could never handle DMing all that...I'd be afraid to make stuff up, in fear I'd ruin the "canon"!

Let them say what they want. You are the DM, and you make the rules within reason. You can change history as you see fit, but make sure your players know what has changed, but not necessarily why. As long as your in agreement before hand it clears up problems later.
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I started a D&D Suikoden game at the place were I go to game and everyone loved it, especially the rune system that I invented for it.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tell us about it inko37. Sounds interesting.
Earthquake923

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I am involved in a D&D game now based on Suikoden. The way our rune system work is runes give you a "free" feat, or the ability to cast from a certin school of magic. Lighting evocation, Wind illusion, etc... Rune slots take the place of a feat, but everybody starts with 1. Feats gained by runes can not could twards prestige classes. As for MP, we use the Unearthed Arcana D20 book. So far it works very well.

Last edited by Earthquake923 on Wed May 04, 2005 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For my rune system I just used the basic Suikoden spells, There is no other magic in my world other then the main villians, Sarah, Luc, Ect.

I have them in the first Suikoden game right now and they are fairing well, they are shadowing the the main Characters group right now...
Blackwind

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer the storyteller system myself. My friend and I are playing in a DnD game that we a taking a very suikoden aproach to we have been gathering poeple with all kinds of talents and skills to raise and train an army to fight and evil empire.
Cyrano

the vengeful lynx

126422 Potch
23 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ooouuuu a D&D game based on suikoden... niiiicceee tough i wonder how classes should be held, there are soo much things, and not enough enough diffenrences between the jobs .... ( more like habits...of the caracters...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: