Suikoden United and Inspirational Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Hyrule Warriors

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Hyrule Warriors Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are there any Legend of Zelda fans still roaming around the forums?

In addition to Twilight Princess HD, I have been playing Hyrule Warriors quite heavily the past few months and just the other day gained the final A rank on the Adventure map, as well as the final gold skulltulas earlier today to unlock all of the initial rewards map challenges.

I've been finding the game to be a good spinoff for the Zelda series, though it very much is a Dynasty Warriors game with a Zelda skin, albeit a very good skin at that. While some may consider it to be a "Zelda game," which is what the developers were looking to make before Shigeru Miyamoto vetoed those plans and insisted they go the route of a Zelda-themed Dynasty Warriors game, the locations used are far too abstract to be considered a representation of Hyrule, not to mention that there is no overworld or free roam capabilities as it is quite literally a case of having to navigate by a level select, which is how the world of Skyward Sword has been described by its critics.

The absolute worst thing about Hyrule Warriors comes down to two words:

"HEY! LISTEN!"

No, Navi technically does not appear (though a random fairy during one of the story missions is named Navi) but every time something new is revealed and a tutorial pops on screen, it is accompanied with "HEY! LISTEN!" so it's a fair bet it will be heard far more than one would like and far more often than Kaepora Gaebora ever interrupted the quest in Ocarina of Time.

Getting back to the whole Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin thing, it is the Zelda skin which is the only reason I feel I can enjoy the game. Had all of the Zelda characters and settings been removed and it was just another Dynasty Warriors game, I can tell there is no way I would have been interested in it to even try considering how frustrating it gets even wit the Zelda influence.

The Adventure maps provide a ton of replay value to the game, though I feel that they were also something of a missed potential. Each and every map square on the maps (of which there are in excess of 100) use the same dozen (more or less) maps introduced in the story mode while the actual Adventure map (the only one I've played, thus far) is an accurate recreation of the original Legend of Zelda overworld, both in terms of the map selection screen as well as the full screen view of each map square before you begin each challenge. There is no effort to match which of the gameplay maps is used in which square, so you could be playing on a Death Mountain map on a square depicting the Lost Woods.

RPG elements have also been added in terms of characters gaining levels which, after every 10, 15 or 20 levels depending on how high the characters have been leveled, they gain another heart. Heart pieces and containers can also be acquired during the story as well as on the adventure maps. Some of the missions to acquire these can be quite frustrating as the game is incredibly unforgiving and a single point of damage, KO or second on the clock (not to mention an incredibly cheap AI) could cheat you out of an A rank and its corresponding prize.

Even though you gain the Master Sword three quarters of the way through the story mode, you cannot unlock its full power until you unlock every single weapon on the Adventure map for each of the non-DLC characters and then rack up 25,000 KOs with the Master Sword. Through-out this massive quest you will also gain weapons for all of the characters which also have 25,000 KO locked abilities, which you can only begin to unlock after you have unlocked the Master Sword.

My impression at this time is it is great for fans of the Dynasty Warriors franchise and a great Zelda-themed hack and slash for fans of the Zelda franchise, but does the option to have any character (like Tingle... seriously) fight and defeat Ganondorf and even Ganon really do more harm than good in a setting which isn't Smash Bros?

I'd give it a 3.5/5

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a pretty big fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, even if they all do end up kind of the same. The occasional mindless video game genocide can be cathartic at times.

Hyrule Warriors is a game I'm definitely interested in, even though I still don't have a Wii U. The DW spinoff I was stuck on for a long time was Dragon Quest Heroes, though I don't really think that has much appeal to people that aren't fans of the DQ series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: