Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Old Nation System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For anybody who reads this after Sensō's original location goes offline, the forum has been moved to a new location: http://www.tremendousvd.com/suiko/index.php

Is it just me, or does anyone else think an "I'm sorry, but our forum is in another location" graphic would have been epically awesome?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks Elc,good thing i came back on here or i never would've seen the new link for your forum.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks to everyone who participated over the past six years, but the time has come for the lights to go out on Sensō Suikoden.

For anybody who may still care about what was going on, while we had all of the necessary components to run a game, we learned that doing things manually consumed way too much time and we couldn't realistically run it without automation. As none of the administrators had the ability to create such plugins for the forum, we tried to come up with alternate methods but, the damage was already done and people left the forum.

All (good) things must come to and end at some point.

Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for all of your work, though, Max.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's too bad the fandom (and series, for the most part) faded, but we had some good times while it lasted. I actually didn't do a whole hell of a lot with Sensō, mainly getting the board to my liking, tracking down and installing hacks to improve the user experience while Cinder deserves the credit in making the community what it was.

I think my most worthwhile contribution to the running of the bpard was the private moderation policy, where people weren't moderated or admonished in public. I've seen it elsewhere and while it could be said that it sets an example for everybody else, potentially humiliating a member in front of the rest of the board is just asking for hard feelings. So, I adopted a stance of enforcing the policies while also being diplomatic and treating the people with respect and I found that, more often than not, moderation went smoothly.

I've decided to go back to my roots and have picked up working on some projects I put on the backburner while Sensō (and other distractions which, ironically, distracted me from Sensō at times) were taking up most of my time. I'm not even sure if these projects will see the (virtual) light of day at this point, or if just working on them will be enough. As usual, some slight delusions of grandeur keep me going with my plans while the pragmatic part of me knows what is realistic and what is just wishful thinking.

What I do know is that while most internet projects include a board of some type, a forum game on the scale of what we had here and wished to have at Sensō is most definitely not in those plans.

Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, had some good memories from back in the day with this place and the revival attempt! Growing up and moving on sometimes sucks, but at least some of us pop up from time to time. I still keep in touch with some of the folk I met here waaaay back in 2005~, and I never accrued over 1,000 posts at any other forum but this one. >_> I don't really visit forums much at all these days, which is a bit of a shame as it was always a good way to keep the Writing 'skillz flowing! In saying that though I finally nailed the dream job (so to speak) and have began my ambitious 12-book series at last, easily surpassing 25% of the first novel with no effort and not really utilising any of my lovely four-day-weekends at all, haha. Any downtime at work basically equals paid writing time. ;)

Hope you're all doing well!

@ Elc: Where do you hang around on the interwebs these days? Haven't heard from you in yonks! How's Canada-land? A certain redhead from Halifax got me hooked on Crown Royal Canadian whiskey which sets me back $50~ for a small bottle which you bastards can get for less than half the price and nearly twice the size! Life is tough in 'Oz.

Last edited by Drizzt on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Other than email, this is probably the best place to catch my attention until I get my project off the ground. Everything has been all right around here, though there was a minor earthquake frighteningly close by (roughly 100 km west, just off the coast of Vancouver Island) Thursday night and the worst we experienced here was a quick jolt and a loud thud like someone closing a door hard.

Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I stopped using instant messaging with the advent of Facebook pretty much so we fell out of contact. I've got tons of spare time these days though so I'm keen for more distractions to get in the way of my writing, haha. How's your writing going, by the way? I had a very long dry spell but it's all coming back to me quite nicely. Let me know if you get something off the ground forum-wise or whatever. Nik is always useful at least initially in that regard. ;)
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't done any actual writing in a long time. From time to time, I've thought about the story I had going in Falena but I've long since forgotten all but the broader details. I will probably have another forum should my project get off the ground but it will be a much smaller scale than Sensō and there won't be any type of forum game.

Recently, I've been spending more time on video games after a LONG stretch where movies put them on hold. I hooked up my Gamecube and noticed the last time I had played Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was in December 2008 and, considering I would be hopelessly lost trying to figure out how to proceed, I just started a fresh game and finally played through to the end. For all the crap Twilight Princess gets now for how it looks, having just played it I can honestly say it is my favourite look for a Zelda game and I'm looking forward to seeing the HD upgrade.

I'm currently doing a run of Lufia II (on an emulator, as I don't have the room to hook up my SNES at this time) and am determined to conquer the Ancient Cave. It's a 99 floor dungeon which you have to do in one go and last night I made it to the the 73rd floor. It's actually quite a sadistic side quest, as it not only strips your levels and equipment when you enter the cave, but also any items (with the exception of the massive cache of 10 potions you're given, as well as any items you find from blue treasure chests within the cave) and spells you may have. So, you have to find spells within treasure chests and as the cave is randomly generated each time (and every floor, for that matter) it is very possible to "find" the same spell multiple times instead of the one you actually need. If you don't find "Champion" or "valor" before you reach the 50th floor, you can forget any hope of making it to the end and you'll have to hope the game lets you find plenty of Miracles so you'll have an easy way of refilling your magic user's MP. I've been into the cave so many times and have been able to nearly completely outfit my party with the best blue chest equipment, so the first 20-ish floors are just a matter of clearing out the monsters to gain levels and try to find the spells and restorative items.

The best outcome to actually make a run in the cave is if you don't find any blue chests, particularly if they happen to provide a spectacularly rare item you've been looking for, as you'll just worry about being defeated and losing it. On the lower levels, there are monsters which can get in eight attacks each and that most certainly will decimate your party, which is where "Valor" becomes incredibly valuable as it heals your entire party for at least 500 HP each, in addition to reviving any KOed characters. Floors also randomly have a "treasure room" which could contain half a dozen treasure chests. It sounds good, until you realize the room is also jammed full of monsters to contend with and some monsters are impossible (at least two of which have instant kill attacks) to avoid unless you are literally right beside the door and can get out in a single move.

Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny you should mention Lufia, as I made a Hard Mode version of the first game thanks to a decent editor. That game was a joke when you reach a new area and still one-shot all the new enemies or obliterate a whole group with one spell. I find it a hell of a lot more fun and balanced now, but I compensate the extra difficulty by making every single enemy in the game drop an item of some kind with more generous drop rates, boss battles are much more rewarding and every enemy gives a bit more gold. Plus they finally have some magic defense. >_>

I've started releasing a few videos on YouTube to show it off which you can find here. I skip the (actually slightly challenging now) prologue and story events, and the download link and more info can be found here.

I'm working on Hard Mode versions of the first two Langrisser TRPGs as well but they are on hold for now (and insanely fun!) Editors save me the hassle of having to learn hex editing and all that manual hacking garbage.

As for the writing, a lot of my other story ideas are still in my head somewhat since I've avoided too many injuries in that department, but I did take a lot of notes over time which would allow me to revisit them in the future. The ambitious series I'm working on now is something I've been mapping out for years, so I know the general plot for many of the books in advance which will help with the continuity. I aim to complete one per year, small books of around 300~ pages. I got a head start on my first one since I'm already 25% into it, and I'll worry about looking into an Editor/Publisher later; any issues there will be a good problem to have, eh?

Yeah just a simple forum is the way to go these days. I had worked on mine for several years stockpiling good content but never got around to releasing it. vBulletin is a lot of fun to work with and easy to add stuff for, but Nik became too busy to help and I wasn't all that keen to go at it alone. And then I was going to get an ace new host but never bothered, haha. I still have all the topics and whatnot backed up in numerous MS Word docs, though. It was just going to be a general gaming/anime/writing forum where I was slowly but surely making sure all the forum areas and sub-forums had several topics in them to get things started. New forums with dozens of empty areas appear very lazy, hoping new members will basically do all the work.

In any case, I'm doing a lot more gaming these days too after mostly just watching TV as well. Mostly all classic retro games while my Xbox 360 and PS3 gather dust and I contemplate getting an Xbox One and PS4 so they can help with the dust-gathering. >_> Also got an ace new 55" TV to replace my old 46"; anything bigger would probably look bad as my couch is pretty close to my TV. Awesome new Wharfedale 5.1 surround sound system too, and a top of the line computer which loads in seconds with its SSD hard drive compared to the five minutes it took my last piece of crap to load. All of this good stuff and bloody car insurance garbage means I owe about 2.5k on my credit card, but I'll have that paid off in a few months so I'm not too fussed. Then I start saving for a deposit for a house that I won't be able to afford, haha. No reason not to save, though.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a few things I have determined when it comes to tackling the Ancient Cave in Lufia II, including but not limited to to; acquiring the Champion, Valor and Destroy spells by the 50th level, acquiring the Fatal pick (as well as Curselifter) and stockpiling any and all Miracles to ensure Selan has the most magic at her disposal, relegating the revival of KOed party members to Regain.

It is also illogical to cut each and every blade of grass in search of the random HP tiles, as the grass which conceals those tiles are actually quite distinctive from the generic grass.

As for my planned project, I have no idea when I would be ready to put it online as I don't work to any schedule and my desktop requires maintenance before I can use it on a more regular basis. I would use my laptop but, as tends to happen, some of the tools I use have incompatibilities with newer versions of Windows, which provides the obsolete Windows XP on my desktop a continued purpose.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

Potch
Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Thanks to everyone who participated over the past six years, but the time has come for the lights to go out on Sensō Suikoden.

Big thanks for all the hard work. It was fun over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: