Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is happening in the gaming industry these days?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormbringer

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

El Regrs wrote:

Haha. When I picked up my copy at Gamestop, the guy behind the counter complained that SC2 was too much like SC, in that it was just an enhanced version (graphically) of SC1, with just a few different units and upgrades to units/structures.

That's interesting, I wonder if that's the more popular view. Again I haven't really played the game all that much, but I thought that they brought in quite a few new units for WoL and revamped the old ones. At least that's the way it seemed when I've watched 'casts and let's plays.

El Regrs wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by Blizzard charging full price individually... Wings of Liberty was the full $60, but I paid $40 for Heart of the Swarm, and expect to do so again for Legacy of the Void. If you pay any greater an amount, then chances are you did get the game with the "goodies" (digital deluxe or collector's edition). Yeah, a little pricey, but I've seen just as pricey console games offer less. But if you're not sure about dropping that much cash, you can always wait until Blizzard has a crazy sale. *Recalls WoL's price being slashed in half for a week about four months after initial release*

Yeah, I was referencing the 40 dollars which seems a little steep to me. Granted the last Blizzard game I played all the way through was Lord of Destruction so my thinking is probably super outdated as far as what I'm willing to pay for a Blizzard expansion. You have a good point about some launch titles offering less bang for their buck, I remember there were some games that had launch day 'pay-to-unlock' DLC that people were angry about. I guess it's not that different from paying full price for a series of books or movies. Maybe I'm just getting old ;p

Decado wrote:

Something which is kinda new to the scene and proving to be a success is crowd funding, mainly via Kickstarter. Crowd funding through Kickstarter has allowed several companies to pitch their vision of a game without having to obtain investment through gaming corporations who then kill the spirit and intent of the developers. How these turn out is yet to be determined but things are looking very promising as these developers have direct links to their funders (you and I) and seem more than happy to provide ongoing updates and communication. It is even very possible to provide feedback and ideas directly to the developers and have it incorporated into the game (as I have done for the BG re-release).

I agree, especially as prices for the larger scale mainstream projects continues to increase. The ability of the gaming community to adapt to market changes is pretty amazing considering how other media forms have stagnated *cough* movies*coughcough*. Honestly I'm expecting larger developers to go defunct sometime in the future as their costs increase and things like Kickstarter gain more momentum.
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stormbringer wrote:

That's interesting, I wonder if that's the more popular view. Again I haven't really played the game all that much, but I thought that they brought in quite a few new units for WoL and revamped the old ones. At least that's the way it seemed when I've watched 'casts and let's plays.

Well... yes and no. In the WOL campaign, you do get the chance to enhance your units and structures. But those enhancements don't exist in regular battles (not sure if this is the case with digital deluxe or collector's editions). Also missing from the regular battles are a few units from SC1, but those (or most) can be used in the campaign.

Err... I should probably play some regular battles in HOTS to verify if this is also the case.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thought I'd throw out there that Naughty Dog's The Last of Us is an incredible game. The story is just phenomenal. I only mention it because I'm pretty sure the only other game to impress me this much story wise was Suikoden II.

Story is probably not the right word. Really, its the setting and the characters. This story has been done before, but not like this.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah. The world and the character arcs. There is fabulous amounts of detail! So much so that they were scraping the very edge of what PS3 is capable of. And, while the overarching story has been done, the fleshing of the story is brilliant! Seriously, I've played through the storyline three times already (Easy, Survivor, Survivor+) and am severely tempted to do it again, and the game hasn't even been out for two months yet!

Edit: The potch system is still in place?

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tell me about it, I liked it so much that I started playing the Uncharted games (also done by Naughty Dog), starting with the first one. I'd heard a lot about those games but never played them. So far, not as good as The Last of Us, but it seems they have a natural talent for fleshed out characters and believable dialogue.

Fast becoming one of my favorite gaming companies.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find that JRPGs are very shallow and formulaic for years now. I enjoy Western RPGs like the ones made by Bioware much more than the ones coming out of Japan. The morality systems that Bioware allows you to create more depth and choice with how your character acts. Plus the plot just seems to be more interesting and mean more to me.

Final Fantasy is just terrible now. I don't know if I've outgrown the themes of it or if they have become worse. But I hate all the characters or even worse am so bored and apathetic by the plot. It's hard to look back and see if FFVI and FFVII were just as shallow as I have rose tinted glasses.

I also find that since I never bought a 3DS I have missed a lot of RPGs from Japan. They don't seem to bring them out on the Playstation anymore.

An example of what's happen to RPGs is Valkyria Chronicles. It's really a strategy/RPG/action hybrid but it has the plot and story that I think fits pretty well in a Suikoden mindset of large battles in a semi-fantasy setting. The original on playstation is one of my favourite games. The PSP sequel was really cut down, with a really uninteresting plot and characters made much younger and more immature. Even so some of the character specific missions and cut scenes are endearing (and the gameplay is fun) so I was looking forward to the third one. But it didn't even come out here so I can't even play it.

I rarely ever play games on console anymore. I just buy things on Steam. The last game I played that I really liked the plot of was Bioshock Infinite and that's certainly not an RPG. But, it had a great plot and fascinating characters and that's why I play video games. You just don't seem to get that in JRPGs anymore, sadly.

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Play The Last of Us, if you have a PS3. It's awesome! Very plot focused like an old RPG, too. I find I've gotten into a lot of Action Adventure games, lately. With game design much advanced these days, you can find some good plot focused content in the AA genre. Good RPGs are much harder to come by these days, for some reason.

Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do have a PS3. I have heard good things about it, although I heard some of the sneaking gameplay is frustrating. I'll give it a try though. Hopefully I can find it used somewhere.

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The sneaking parts are fine, it's just that people and infected are as responsive as you would expect them to be if this were real life. Especially so at higher difficulties, so you have to be ready to get charged. I literally crouch walked past a squad of guys in a long room while they were doing that whole "scanning" thing where they send guys in each direction and slowly move forward, while leaving guards behind.

It's easy to forget stealth in a game like this, sometimes, but it is all but necessary at the higher difficulties, unless you're awesome at shooter mechanics (which I'm not). In the above situation, I had tried for, like, half an hour to get past this room by shooting my way through, on the highest difficulty. Then, on a whim, went for stealth and got past with zero trouble. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and watch the behaviors of the enemies.

Edit: You do miss some goodies sometimes, going the stealth route, though. It's not a huge deal since, if you're not using combat, you don't need healing and weapons, but in mixed situations, it might be better to go for the stuff. Plus, don't want to miss collectables.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: