Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Update 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Update 2013 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, seems like some people still drop by.

The good news is I am finally back in Japan, and have a stable job. The bad news is that the stable job takes quite a lot of time out of my days, and I can't see how I can run anything close to the scope of what Suikox used to handle.

Back in 2005-2008 when the site was in full swing, I was healthy and also had a lot of downtime at work, which allowed me to work on a bunch of stuff Suikox related. It also helped that the series wasn't entirely dead yet.

A number of times I thought I had the motivation to start something small, but my motivation level got exhausted fairly fast, and last year has been way too mentally destructive to myself that I wasn't able to get anything done in my vast, available free time.

Despite positive movements such as the Suikoden Revival Movement, I am personally pessimistic about the series' future, and probably just got too old to enjoy console games. I haven't even touched a console game in the last year, and even in terms of network games such as MMOs I have been spending very little time. Basically, real life has gotten too busy (who would have thought I would say that).

At least, I know there are still young people who are passionate about the series and are increasingly taking lead in a fandom that was fairly small. I'm 37 years old for crying out loud, it's about time I move along and start living a normal life. The first Suikoden site I helped built was started in March of 2000, so it has been very long. Too long.

However, I'll probably still be around in one way or another. I don't foresee myself tinkering with this site anymore though. If someone wants it, I'll gladly give it away (although some files are permanently missing, which is a shame). I have funds to keep this site going, but will look for cheaper ways to host this site if possible. I know many people who met here have retained their friendships, and I'd hate to tear down what can be called a "mental datum point" or a "root metaphor" for all of us.

Anyhow, sorry to disappoint, but I am happy to move along with my life. I know some of you have been wondering if Suikox will ever re-launch itself, but you can rest assured this site will never again return to its "former glory," so please laugh, gloat, cry or whatever.

I can't promise that one day I'll suddenly get the urge to do something. In that case, I will make sure not to talk about it too much. I tend to get discouraged pretty easily when I hear negative comments. I don't think I will ever get used to criticism-- I end up taking it too seriously and put myself in a mental check-mate.

Anyhow, enough of a rant I suppose. Hopefully this clarifies this site's status to all of you who still pop by, and the new will likely start to seep through the cracks that connect every suikoden enclave.

Wow, I must have gained a lot of wordcount after all that... must maintan my MAG...
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I can say I'm grateful for everything you've done with Suikox since the beginning. I met quite a few great people here, which makes it sad when you fall out of touch with some of them, but life can be cruel like that.

I think it's safe to say that I've also had my ups and downs where the popular nation game was concerned, particularly the politics involved which, at times, made me come across as something of a moody prick (but I'm MUCH better now) and there are certainly things I would do differently if I were to do it over again, but I think the majority of us had an overall positive experience.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alas, all good things...

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Idylan Thomas

Moonlight Drive

105871 Potch
1194 Soldiers
1670 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All good things... Indeed.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I met my boyfriend here. He's sitting right beside me and I couldn't be happier. (Six years and he still hasn't put a ring on it!)

Thanks, Vex.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Surprisingly enough, I've come into more time to muck about with things like this recently... so... if someone is going to take up the torch, you can count on me to be around.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Personally, I can say I'm grateful for everything you've done with Suikox since the beginning. I met quite a few great people here, which makes it sad when you fall out of touch with some of them, but life can be cruel like that.

I echo this sentiment and I have really enjoyed my time here and more than likely will still pop in if this forum is still around.
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Wow, I must have gained a lot of wordcount after all that... must maintan my MAG...

Hohoho! The nostalgia!

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for all the memories Ted. I've watched the Suikoden fandom blossom from that little site you used to run, to Suikosource, to all the great sites spawned from that. I've also watched it's steady decline.

I've no idea exactly how old I was when I first became involved in the community--14 maybe? I'm 27 now. I feel like I grew up with this fandom in my life. So anyways, it was an amazing experience, and I'll no doubt continue to stop by from time to time until this place winks out of existence. :)

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can I have a moment to hug you all?
*HUG*
*SOB*

*COUGH* okay... sorry... That felt a bit out-of-character there I think.

Alas, life take precendence and though it's sad that among the countless 'friends', peers, fellow fans on here I've crossed path with well.....if you told me to summon/contact them all back in a sudden whim I probably wouldn't know how to for a majority of them.....
But nevertheless what we have here is a precious community and whatever the future brings for the series, the fact that we've crossed paths here, and that this place was once (and still is...for now?) like another 'home'

Aye, it's so priceless that such a place was created in the first place.

And I better stop typing now because I can't remember the main point I wanted to post anymore...and I'm starting to feel like a dork or something.... o,o;;;

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the kind words. I know how this place has been a place where many people formed RL friendships and in some case found their husband/wife, and as a result some lives will not be born without this forum! Unfortunately, at least one member passed away, but what can I say-- we all meet some sort of fate one way or another.

On a positive note, suikox's current host, sandwich.net gave me a very reasonable alternate plan, which will only cost $6 a month... and I will only lose the capability of the site to handle tends of thousands of SQL queries per second... which will never happen unless we have people spamming the battle simulator.

Thus, the health of this site is stable as long as I have US dollars in my bank in Ohio.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been around the various Suikoden communities for about thirteen years. Strange how these silly little hobbies and the people we share them with end up having such a profound impact on our lives before we know it.

So thank you Ted, for your passion and dedication to this series, and for keeping us all informed and entertained for over a decade.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, thank you fr the good times and the times where I seemingly irritated people due to the obsessive overbearing nature I took to it. Met some brilliant people, loved and lost but hell, she's still also brilliant and I hope happy that things work out.

I'm still holding on to my childhood though, you'd need one hell of a spatula to pry me off the hope that one day my world won't be shattered...

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that I've been back, I can't help looking through the old forum archives. Man... a lot of memories here.

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I've done that a few times when I felt the need for some nostalgia.

This place was great while it lasted Vex, you did an awesome job. Thanks.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: