Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

World Map presented in History of Suikoden dvd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
Barbarossa Rugner wrote:
Seeing that map...or any Suikoden map for that matter, makes me want Suikoden 6 even more. Sucks that we will probably never see it though.

Agreed. So much territory that they could explore deeply without overly conflicting with previous timelines (which seems to be a major concern of the development team moving forward with the series). I mean seriously. How could they not have had a game set in Harmonia?

Why would they even need to worry about conflicting with previous timelines? I mean, they have as much information at their fingertips as any fan of the series does, probably even more. That doesn't mean that they know where Murayama wanted to go with it, but so what? The only one that could have possibly known that is Murayama, and who knows if he had a solid plan for anything beyond S3. They could very easily take the story in whatever direction they wanted as long as it stayed in the same vein as the first three. I thought S5 was done just fine. Not a masterpiece by any means, but certainly done fine. I didn't like various mechanical aspects of S4, so that did temper the experience for me. But I don't see how hard it could be to keep making proper Suikoden games instead of games that just use the name and bear little to no resemblance to the games we loved.

Oh, and continue on with the mute main characters, because I'm the contrary sort like that :)

~Uguu!~
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bleh I'd prefer it if they just kept making games the way they are, to keep the franchise alive until they can really take on a serious project that is a suikoden proper. Once a franchise dies, it's dead forever and I don't want them to blow the next proper installment, else imo it will be the 3rd one they've blown.

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know about anyone else, but JRPGs have become so outdated for me in the meantime that even if they did release a new traditional Suikoden, it would quite likely turn out to be incredibly meh.
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jrpgs have been outdated since the invention of 3 dimentional video gamez yo.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I disagree on the 3D front, the market has just shrunk considering the rise of the western efforts and rather heavy "action" influence in the RPG genre as a whole, I mean Pokemon are still going whilst changing simply aesthetics as their core remains the same, JRPG's are still viable and profitable on handhelds and virtual stores in a "cheaper" section of the market so simply the focus has shifted from the frontline mainstream to the backroom.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Video gaming as a whole has moved from a sort of fringe activity to the mainstream, too, though. It makes sense to me that as the medium becomes more and more opened up, the more exciting/faster paced games would be the ones that rake in the biggest bucks--it's the same with movies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
Video gaming as a whole has moved from a sort of fringe activity to the mainstream, too, though. It makes sense to me that as the medium becomes more and more opened up, the more exciting/faster paced games would be the ones that rake in the biggest bucks--it's the same with movies.

As far as immediate interest goes sure, no doubt that's where the money goes, but as far as endearing games go, just like movies, they flood the market on returns as well and their staying power with consumers is rather low in comparison to the real "good" games. Around here anyway I see the party type and "funsies" co-op games (ie the Lego games) being the ones sold out and remaining in low stock along with the Xenoblade - Pandora Tower - Last Story offerings, the highly anticipated sort of entries or those you can just pick up and play and have fun with. Similarly I do see the whole action craze with something like Fall of Cybertron or the Operation Racoon City, RE universe, but similarly I see that interest is quickly swept away by critique or something else which flashes a little bit brighter and consumers move on like moths to a bigger bulb.

It's the problem I see at present with gaming companies, they're far too concerned with the money in keeping current practices going instead of being innovative, pushing those boundaries and taking those chances they did before just in a different way, and they'll continue remaining just solvent or having consumers with the staying power of a goldfish on their product with the same worries about if their title will bring enough money in to make the same title badged as something else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: