Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Random thoughs on a new game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
In all seriousness, though. The nation system was pretty great at forming long lasting communities and bonds--so it'd be great to preserve that sort of thing in a way that still opens up the game to more individual player freedom.

On the converse it did also stifle "development" in these relationships and was core to individuals being burned out, as an example I never went into any sort of "plan" or discussion of with the expectation that it'd receive unanimous support and fit snuggly within any sort of deadline, I did however expect he discussion of merits to extend beyond the pitch and "no. Next." because it would take hours or days to even come up with all the data, the reasons, the counter plans to the plans and address as many variables as was perceived. Whilst the eventual burn out was by my own design and "lofty" ideals I couldn't keep up with, the relationship eventually broke down due to a feeling of an untenable situation for me to remain in and thus a stifled "life" inside the nation.

Stripping it back to the core, giving the individual reigns to cater for individual input and desire, for me anyway, is a far better way to create lasting bonds as you then have people who truly believe as they either share the ideal, the effort or the method instead of some larger unobtainable end goal on a scale which only mattered to a few in the leadership whilst the rest just tagged along because we said "please?".

As I was not around during the "house" system I can't exactly comment on that, I do like several ideas that have been expressed though.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I share the opinion of most everyone who posted here so far. Personally, the old system was incredibly time-consuming to run as well as taking a mental toll with all the wounded feelings and unfulfilled expectations.

Thus, my intent to create something again from scratch isn't entirely rooted in my desire to dabble in new technology, but also because I want to make sure the new system doesn't mirror the problems that existed in the old system, especially how people actually had limited influence in doing things, while a small number of people had to basically "work full time" to run each country, etc.

What I'm looking at right now is similar to "nationstates.com"'s system, but slightly different.
I'm currently trying to figure out the best database design for such a game, especially when considering future possibilities for add-ons.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Random Thoughts:

The biggest draw to the war game for me was the critical thinking in a social environment aspect. I really enjoyed being able to formulate strategies, and try to figure out what other nations were doing, while bouncing all those ideas off my fellow Highlanders. Having it set in Suikoden was just a pleasant bonus. Obviously you don't want to do the exact same thing, but I will say that aspect of the game was particularly unique in my mind, in that I haven't experienced any other game like it. To me, this was the "soul" of the war game, and what a good soul it was. I believe this feature is what led to the best and worst parts of the game--within the sub-community, you had an incredible sense of belonging and companionship, while at the same time I think some people felt like they were left on the outside looking in. The relationships between the communities worked in similar ways in that with some, their were strong ties, and with others, relations went from strained to downright hostile.

This is probably the thing I'd want most in a new game: that social critical thinking aspect. Using the current ideas as a starting point, I think if you took away the ability to conquer other people's "towns," you could mitigate a lot of the bad qualities such a system would produce.

The question then becomes, "what is the object of the game?" In the wargame, I think it was fairly obvious that the object was to destroy other player controlled nations, even if it didn't start that way. If that isn't the point in this game (and it shouldn't be), than what is? I don't know if there is a clear answer to that; I do think that you can replace a clear objective with customization and the chance for upward improvement. Then, the very idea of getting better becomes the objective. Also--trophies and rewards.

To give it a Suikoden bent, and to piggyback on iscalio's idea of having the players have to decide on issues, some of these issues could be "proposed" by existing Suikoden characters.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin's post gave me a new thought too... I often contemplated about the endgame phase of the previous game. (not that we got that far but still...)

There has to taken into account that you will, after a long time, end up with 2 or 3 major forces who fight eachother. Winning and losing some ground every phase, but no longer being able to really 'kill' one another anymore.

Just a quick thought.

Kind regards
-Alucard

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Typically with social games of this type, there's never any defined "end game." Sort of like how MMOs generally don't have a last boss, etc.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally liked the mercenary aspect. Getting paid was cool. But i am open for anything.

I would definitely agree that being able to have as little "Managing" input as possible is preferred. Waiting for the Admins to type up battle summaries was bothersome enough. I can only imagine how aggravating actually writing a ton of them were.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll be on a trip for about 4 days, so during that time I can't work on anything, but after I am back I will be asking for help creating "issues" that befall each region. Here's an example of the type of stuff I have in mind:

http://www.suikox.com/forum/issuelist.php

I'll create an interface that will allow people to plug their ideas into the database, so please think about possible "issues."

My thought is that each "domain" held by a player will have about 2 issues / day that need to be resolved (or ignored). Choices on how the issues are resolved will affect the region's stats in certain ways-- something like that.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
My thought is that each "domain" held by a player will have about 2 issues / day that need to be resolved (or ignored). Choices on how the issues are resolved will affect the region's stats in certain ways-- something like that.
Oh cool, =D
Reminds me of (I think it was) one of the DW empires games.
Random floods and famines here we come!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stampedes of land sharks, wild storms of pixie dust that turn dogs into chickens that hide rupees before a visit by a Harmonian Bishop gets similar altered into a stage dancer.

The possibilities are astounding.

Pirates! DESU

352386 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It reminds me of random events in Paradox Interactive games such as Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings. I think it would be more interesting if by selecting a choice during such "issue" it would lead not to a definite result but was giving a probability to trigger a positive, negative or mixed effect. In such way when the same "issue" appears again choosing the same choice won't necessary lead to the same result.

I also think it would be more interesting to have some "issues" that not only are giving immediate effects but also may unlock another related to it "issue" to trigger afterwards and so on thus forming a quest-like chain.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exciting! I just wrote down a couple of these to submit.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm back at it, but facing some problems trying to understand my own code from back in 2006. The problem is I rarely documented anything back then. Basically, I'm just trying to create an interface that'd allow people to submit stuff to the issue list-- which will relieve me from a lot of creation-work.

Once that is done, I think there will be benefits to folks who create more issues, etc. My thought process is always like that-- creative work should always be rewarded. The world ought to operate that way...
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welcome back!

Hah! It's bee hammered into me to always comment my code, but I've never worked on anything as insane as stuff on a web site. For some reason I've never been able to wrap my head around that stuff.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:
Welcome back!

Hah! It's bee hammered into me to always comment my code, but I've never worked on anything as insane as stuff on a web site. For some reason I've never been able to wrap my head around that stuff.

This is why there is WordPress and all that pre-fab jazz. Not nearly as fun to set up, but it gets websites up that much faster and keeps clients from asking pesky questions cause they can change everything themselves. Made my life easier at least.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is exciting stuff. I'll probably play whatever develops.

Edit: There will be stats, though, right? I speak for a lot of people when I say that I'm obsessive about numbers and stats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: