Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lets start a game...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Vextor":1nd7f7rc]I'd also like to make sure "writing stories" is a large part because fan fiction is always good stuff. I don't want to introduce the old "wordcount" deal though, because it tends to encourage people into adopting a wordy style of writing. It will instead simply be based on the number of entries, and perhaps by allowing other members to rate your story.

Perhaps a bit more tweaking could be made as replacing an emphasis on wordcount with a bit more based on the quantity could have the detrimental effect of less frequent but meatier and more thought-out entries dropped in favour of frequent yet shorter and less substantial entries. I, myself, am not known for writing tomes upon tomes in a single entry as breaking 3,000 words in a "chapter" could be considered an achievement, but I certainly do appreciate the more detail oriented approach some people have taken. With that said, however, if something is simply far too long, I cannot take the time to sit and read through them all.

My own idea would be similar to the rating bit you mentioned, but writing is quite a subjective medium yet I would rate things based upon how a story is advanced with the entries, whether they be long or short or if they were frequent or infrequent. The primary downside to this idea is that if such decisions need to be made by a single individual, it's insane to expect that one person to read each and every entry which could potentially be made. I remember how active Suikox used to be and should it gain that level of activity again, it could be a masochistic undertaking.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps you could set up a rotating panel of game participants to rate posts on a monthly basis or something?

Edit: Also Vex, if you need any help, let me know. After thanksgiving my schedule is gonna be opening up a bit. I don't know a whole lot of php but I've dabbled here and there with a "mess around till it works" philosophy.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After thinking about this for a while (especially during the winter break), I decided I will take this forum back to phpbb2 while keeping all of the old posts. Considering how many posts people have made since inception, it doesn't sit right for me to delete it just so we can start from a clean slate. I'm sure a bunch of people will come back here one day and read their old posts and slap their forehead, saying "man, I was really stupid back then!" and laugh. I'd like to make sure I can maintain that sort of effect.

Arriving at this decision took a lot of time because I was really thinking of erasing everything and starting fresh, mainly because untangling this forum from it's phpbb3 framework and re-adjusting to a phpbb2 framework would probably be headache-inducing. However, the past few weeks I've been reading old posts and remembering things and all that stuff, and I changed my mind in the end.

However, things might blow up as I downgrade this forum, so beware...
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That sounds quite interesting. I still get headache reading most of my old posts. Sometimes due to its contents, most often because of its bad grammar.
Of course I am also interested to see what other people wrote in the past :)

The Fool
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Eden":fnl9ki9v]That sounds quite interesting. I still get headache reading most of my old posts. Sometimes due to its contents, most often because of its bad grammar.

Rubbish, personally speaking anyway. :P

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds fun. I'll play.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I may be a bit late to the party but I just wanted to mention that I've been working on a side project for the IGCG over at Senso and most of the work is done, plus it can be expanded with relative ease. Give it a look through.

http://www.watergem.tfg1.net/

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Small weapons are underpowered and probably won't be used. This could be fixed by adding an extra +1 to all of these in speed. Glaives and Scythes will be common, due to scythes being 3 pointers, and glaives having obscenely highly damage pontential. I think rods and rings need tweaking, too. A -1 for PDF on a ring would do fine. Probably a +1/2 magic for rod, and +2/3 for ring.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="TruePerception":1ym36mse]Small weapons are underpowered and probably won't be used. This could be fixed by adding an extra +1 to all of these in speed. Glaives and Scythes will be common, due to scythes being 3 pointers, and glaives having obscenely highly damage pontential. I think rods and rings need tweaking, too. A -1 for PDF on a ring would do fine. Probably a +1/2 magic for rod, and +2/3 for ring.

There are comments in the coding btw regarding this.

Also, I'm debating on putting in a cost factor...

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="eXistence of Fly":21n0wcs2][quote="Eden":21n0wcs2]That sounds quite interesting. I still get headache reading most of my old posts. Sometimes due to its contents, most often because of its bad grammar.

Rubbish, personally speaking anyway. :P

:D

I assume for every good post I made I have ten that don't make much sense ^^

The Fool
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which is what we like about you!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="TruePerception":2gpkf99d]Which is what we like about you!

Thank you very much :)
I am just proud and happy to be The Fool.

The Fool
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the idea of keeping the old posts around. However if it becomes too much of a burden trying to save everything, its understandable that we might lose some old things to gain some new ones.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Much of what I liked most about the old Nations is the simple idea of having a place I can call home, just hang there, talk silly, and talk, just simply feel cozy, homey :? (I guess. I dunno how to express, much).
If we could still have something similar like that. Home town or something, where we are originaly born into, it would be nice. (If that place suck, we can always move :P).
The whole choices thing I like, give it more of a Suikoden feeling (Sorta, kinda... yeah).
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that's sort of the feel I want to preserve (which was probably the best part of the old system).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: