Suikoden United and Irenic Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

No black people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seem more native american to me.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
The Silver Lady

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="TruePerception":1cglb5hd]Hmm. You are right! I forgot about him. I wonder why he doesn't fit into that explanation. Maybe, since the middle east is between Japan and Europe. We definately had some europeans! France, anyone?

There is a lot of European influence in Suikoden! Suikoden I and V are definitely more asian-oriented, leave alone Tir's clothing, which looks quite chinese (and yes, lol for the shoes!). Let's not forget how Japan is still tied to its traditions, and a lot of what's coming from there is full of stereotypes (Eg. western girls have bright eyes, usually blonde hair and fairly big boobs). Personally, I don't find the lack of black people to be surprising at all. Even in their most european works (with some exceptions, of course) Japanese people never fail to throw in at least one thing that's purely japanese, this is visible in all Suikoden games.

Suikoden II is quite a mix-up, and not only with the charachters. You have cities that are clearly designed after old japanese villages, but also cities that look european, like Greenhill or Rockaxe, or even muse, which might look a bit like Rome in the old days and on a much smaller scale. Rockaxe looks VERY european, just look at the windows in the houses and the bedrooms of the castle! And, of course, like TruePerception said, let's not forget about knighthood. Camus itself is a French surname, the Maximillian knights, etc. are all designed after early to late medieval kinds of knights.
As for the indiviuals, Humphrey Mintz sounds quite German to me...the narcissists represent Europe as it was during the baroque period, Simone being Italian, Vincent being French (and Scarleticia being their ideal home, for that matter).
And again, Zexen's architecture is completely based on Germany. Even the knights and their weapons are meant to sound German. And so on.
(Maybe Suikoden 5 is the exception...it is clearly designed after old Japan. The architecture of cities like Rainwall and Stormfist are designed after Europe, but the way the people who live there are dressed (like Euram, Luserina, the Godwins) is more like France/Italy in the late seventeen hundreds...)

As for black people, I suppose Hauser is the only black one...I've always wondered where he came from, actually! Karayans, well, I think their skin is not only tanned, they're dark themselves, but it's still quite fair if compared to an african american, maybe...
For sure, nothing feels more arabic than Caleria! And Kasim Hazil was probably there only to give some diversity to the group. Sorry if this seems silly, but a lot of creative minds work with this kind of mechanism.

[quote="CAPITAN PLANET":1cglb5hd]Actually, Barbarossa is another Italian name. It's actually two words. It comes from the pirate "redbeard". Barba = beard. Rossa = red. Though the pirate Barbarossa was middle eastern (He was Ottoman/Turkish), he was given an italian name, because he sailed mostly in the mediterrenean.

True! but some others probably thought about germany because Federico I Hohenstaufen AKA "Barbarossa" was the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire in Germany during the year 1100. :) it's fun how they mispelled his name in SI, it was written 'Barbarosa' which means 'Pink beard' and I always laughed so hard when I saw it on the screen XD (like, end of the game, very serious scene, I laugh thinking 'ha Barbarosa, the emperor with the pink beard...")
Archpark

64097 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They are all at the back of the bus.
UberPendragon

40855 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually for some reason I always thought Ridley was black even though he was a kobold.

Spoiler Abound:
What up with killin a proud black dragon only to replace him with some chubby honkey dragon...

God Save The Queen!

R.I.P. Harmonia-Online
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: