Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The RPG Genre Changed and We All Missed It
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icegryphon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there are plenty of traditional rpgs still out there. And i think the fact that a lot of them have gone action/adventure-y just makes people want good traditional rpgs even more. Look how well the re-releases of FFIV and FFVI and Chrono Trigger did.
DaveyJ

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The RPG Genre Changed and We All Missed It Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that if they are to change the battle system in Suikoden 6, that the best way to go about it is to set the plot right near the early Suikoden games. That way they can appeal to the old fans by providing additional insight into the story and characters that they love, while appealing to new fans through upgraded battle systems and other such things. If they keep with the current battle system I don't think they will garner new fans, and if they change it with no throwback to old fans then they will lose the old fans. Its a very tricky situation.
ThricebornPhoenix

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The RPG Genre Changed and We All Missed It Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Noot":1cq3n1ue]Honestly, I would LOVE to see an action-RPG version of Suikoden. It's become the most prevalent form of RPG, and for good reason. It's 2009, not 1995.

Hey, Secret of Mana was released in 1993 (JP/NA). Legend of Zelda, long before that. :P I don't think that being turn-based is necessarily a problem. A poor interface and lack of cohesive design, however, have been problems with Suikoden since the beginning, and I think that's what Konami should be looking at.

Suikoden is unarguably a niche franchise. I think its best bet is to own that niche, instead of trying to compete in a more saturated area.

[quote="SixWingedSin":1cq3n1ue]What I've seen the gaming market progress towards is no-brain/all instinct thinking in the way things work. JRPGs fall into some traditional steps that certain players like: a comprehensive story works well (instead of the 'open ended' world that everything else is trying to do nowadays), the ability to THINK and strategize options instead of being rushed to decisions.

Let's not fool ourselves here. T/SRPG aside, I can't think of many console role-playing games that required much brainpower, either for playing or to understand the story (except when the story was mistranslated or just didn't make sense). I don't see much difference between "Free Will, Free Will, Hell, Free Will..." and "Square, Square, Triangle, Square...", except that the latter can give you an adrenaline boost whereas the former is just tedious. JRPG gameplay tends to be as escapist as the generic fantasy its stories are so often based on. For most, it's a way to kill time and not think about anything serious.

[quote="DaveyJ":1cq3n1ue]I think that if they are to change the battle system in Suikoden 6, that the best way to go about it is to set the plot right near the early Suikoden games.
I hope you mean some time after the events of Suikoden III....
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
Serenity Frost

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I miss the 2d graphics more than anything else. They were really starting to look simply gorgeous. Plus special scenes just seemed to have more impact when you couldn't see them (Gremio's Death) and the fact that they were special because they had sprite animations dedicated just to them.

Also, had we not jumped down the 3D path that we did, we might have even had games that looked like an anime as you played it.
stephencolbert5

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The RPG Genre Changed and We All Missed It Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I mostly agree with the guy with the Jake and Silent Bob avatar. They have three types of battles already, so why not cater each type of battle to a certain audience? It would probably require incorporating more war and duel battles, but it'd work fine. I love the duels, but the duels being changed wouldn't undo the "Suikoden feel," and the war battles, having been changed every time, appear to have not undone the "Suikoden feel" either.

I do think they need to add or tweak things a little. Revamping things completely is a risky business move.

If they could come up with a way to integrate turn-based and real-time well accompanied by exciting visuals and riveting music like in Baten Kaitos, they'd draw in everybody, IMO.

I also think marketing was a huge problem with Suikoden V. With that said, making it take place around 2 and 3 (I'd say after 3) and marketing exactly that selling point: that it takes place around 2 and 3 (preferably after 3) should draw in all the gamers who left after 4.

I've also noticed that gamers often times don't verbalize their complaints that well. I think the reason 5 was slow were different things than that it's not innovative: awful load times, awfully high encounter rate, no challenge, no camera changing during battle and during most scenes, IIRC the standard battle music didn't excite much, story progression was slow at times (including the beginning), etc... Suikoden 1 and 2 had random battles and load times, but they were real fast; they had turn-based battles, but they offered challenge, had some camera movement, and IIRC more exciting music; their stories also progressed quickly. It appears as though tempo is what draws in casual gamers (FF5->FF6, FF9->FFX, and so on). How exciting the music in battle is, IMO, also makes a big difference in this (FF6, FF7, FFX, CC, etc.).

It also seems like the new writer (5 and Tierkesis) doesn't want to stomp on the original writer's stuff, or something, as Suikoden 5's connections are all small (Cathi reveals nothing about Harmonia, Georg was insignificant in 2, and so on) and Falena's a new place all together, and obviously also that Tierkesis takes place in an entirely different world. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They could try something new. Not action RPGs, that's not all there is. My Life as a King/My Life as a Darklord on Wii, FFXII: Revenant Wings on DS, Valkyria Chronicles on PS3... lots of different ways to change the standard mechanic but keep it an RPG. Or there could be something like My Life as a Darklord as a minigame, instead of a tower you're defending the HQ and placing units strategically to defeat the attacking army.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: