Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who has the worst ownership in sports?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with everything Sophita has had to say about the Hawks, it's a total shame to see an original six team run into the ground by the moronic ploys of Bill Wirtz (who has owned the team since '76 by the look of things Sai). He's done a lot of harm in terms of alienating the fanbase and continues to be unable to get a good team on the ice while he does so, people would probably put up with his dumb ideas with regards to tv rights if Chicago could throw a winning team out there and invest in the payroll to the extent that they achieved something after years of time in the hockey doldrums. They seemed to be onto something last year with Havlat/Handzus but they let Handzus go because of money and haven't really got a replacement, they'll likely be a bad team again this coming season too, who knows when it will end for them.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile wrote:
I agree with everything Sophita has had to say about the Hawks, it's a total shame to see an original six team run into the ground by the moronic ploys of Bill Wirtz (who has owned the team since '76 by the look of things Sai). He's done a lot of harm in terms of alienating the fanbase and continues to be unable to get a good team on the ice while he does so, people would probably put up with his dumb ideas with regards to tv rights if Chicago could throw a winning team out there and invest in the payroll to the extent that they achieved something after years of time in the hockey doldrums. They seemed to be onto something last year with Havlat/Handzus but they let Handzus go because of money and haven't really got a replacement, they'll likely be a bad team again this coming season too, who knows when it will end for them.
*ponders for a moment*

Ok, I can't disagree that Bill Wirtz is a bad owner, but the 'Hawks have still had more success under his ownership than the Lions have had under Ford's ownership... Both teams are about as bad as one another in their respective sports right now... And last I checked Ford has owned the team since 1964, which is twelve years longer than Bill Wirtz has owned the Chicago Blackhawks. Ford has screwed up the Lions for longer than Wirtz has screwed up the Blackhawks. Finals appearance in '91-'92. Never been to the Super Bowl... I'm going to say the worst team here has never been to the Super Bowl.

Consider Chicago's hockey division, too. Detroit AND Nashville there... Yeah, both of those teams are incredible. Look at the division that the Lions compete in. And before you mention Chicago, remember that Rex Grossman is their starting quarterback... With the parity the way it is in the NFL with the salary cap & free-agency, AND when you consider how terrible the NFC North is, there is NO reason that the Lions can't finish .500 or CLOSE to .500 these last few years. Yet, inept ownership has kept them in the shitter. With the Blackhawks, even if they were to pull off some good moves, it'd be extremely hard for them to topple Detroit and Nashville.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to disagree with you about the Lions I really don't know enough about American Football to do so and what you are saying does sound like a very badly managed team, probably worse than Chicago as you say. I just felt the need to back up what Sophita had already said with regards to the Blackhawks since I actually have a clue about the hockey side of things.

Nashville has recently fallen into a poor state of affairs actually so this could have been a great opportunity for Chicago to make good and go after some good players, the Preds have let go Kariya, Hartnell, Timonen, Vokoun and Forsberg doesn't look like he's coming back either. They have a lot of decent players to fill those holes but no one matching the calibre of those leaving and they will be young guys lacking some experience - who knows what will happen there. The ownership has actually changed recently from a single majority owner to a local consortium as rumours had been flying about Basille trying to buy and move them over to Hamilton and other people interested in purchasing them. Timonen and Hartnell who went to the Flyers did make mention of the imminent sale and possibility of moving the team as reasons they weren't so keen on returning to the Preds just this offseason too.

As I say a good chance for the Hawks to make groun on their inter-division rivals but they only signed...
Robert Lang - decent, was about third line centre with detroit last year and now looks to be about the number 1 centre in Chicago.
Yannic Perrault - good faceoff man and defensive forward, another centre.

Their scoring is still very one line orientated around Martin Havlat who is clearly a good player but whether he gels with Lang like he did Handzus is a question mark in itself. I'm not sure what their secondary scoring is composed of now, Jason Williams and Jeff Hamilton? Not impressive. Their defence is still growing as a group too, Seabrook could be a top notch player one day and eventually Cam Barker will get in the mix somewhere but they're both still pretty young and learning, defencemen typically take longer than forwards to mature.

Patrick Kane the recent number 1 draft pick should be good eventually too. So while there is a silver lining to the situation it's still only a glimmer in the distance unless they take to investing in a couple of decent free agents next year or getting some good trades done.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A lot of Baltimore Orioles fans, such as myself, like to bemoan the incompetence of owner Peter G. Angelos. They have been exceedingly bad for a decade now, having concluded their 10th straight losing season. Definitely one of the worst-run franchises in baseball during that time period. Of course, our neighbors to the north, the Pittsburgh Pirates aren't exactly lighting it up, either. They're on 15 straight losing seasons. Of course, given the Orioles' $90 million-plus payroll, it's just flat-out embarassing. I hope they clean house and start from scratch. A proper, youthful rebuilding is the only real way to fix this mess.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I look at the situation now I have to say that it pains me to point to the 49ers owners as one of the worst owners in pro sports today. They took what was one of the crown jewels of the NFL during it's dynastic, dominating run of success during the 80's all the way through the 90's and turned the 49ers into something close to another Arizona Cardinals. The Yorks don;t seem to know what to do as owners and always seem to react more to criticism instead of actually being proactive in trying to improve the team.

An example of this would be their process of hiring a coach and GM. It was understandable that the team hire a coach with overriding powers after the Dennis Erickson and Terry Donahue debacle. No potential GM candidate wanted the job of trying to fix a cap-heavy team. Nolan did a great job in cutting off the fat off of the Niner roster. But instead of trying to find Nolan help in the personnel and contract department they instead kept hiring people whose job was to sell the idea of the Niners moving to Santa Clara. It finally took them one year too late in hiring someone with GM powers and just making Nolan a head coach. By the time they finally move their personnal man, Scot McLoughan to the GM position they undercut him by giving Nolan one more year instead of letting McLoughan make the decision.

I'm actually more a fan of the Niners now than I was in the past. In part to support the team and just to ride out this bad patch in their history until someone else with more money ends up buying the team and get the Niners back as perennial playoff and Super Bowl contenders.

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that the Blackhawks finally seem to be on the upswing (figures that it took the death of their former owner) I'd wager that a pretty solid case could be made for (or rather against) the Leafs now being the most dysfunctional, ass-backwards sports organization on the planet. Even Hockey Night in Canada has booted them from the national slot! I don't know what to do, guys, my heart is breaking. :mrgreen:
Korgeta

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the worst ownership in sports? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Am surprised newcastle United football club haven't recived a mention.

Where do we start? this club not only had one bad ownership but two in succsession!

freddy shepherd and mike Ashly

Newcastle's demise is a bit more complicated but the two main contributions were a poor running of the club, freddy shepard was in danger of over spending, and more infamously fred was the victim of a news of the world story where he was caught attending a brothel and quoting on gerodie women were like dogs. he also mocked several newcastle key players at the time. he resigned but later voted himself back in.

it was either he or his partner douglas hall that maintained a fire trigger of managers for the club, bobby robson the main example. Greame souness and glen roeder were hire and fire within one season inbetween. There is a element that he bent over to player power and negelected the parts of the training ground that needed repairing, the result being that the key players were injured as a result.

Then mike ashly took over and his decsions were naive at best, he selected 'freinds' to run football matters, this is a bad idea when your friends aren't upto the job and you don't fire friends do you? one bad choice was dennis wise as director, he his manager record was unproven and his reputation was a thuggish one (he broke a player's jaw at another club)

however mike ashly made the mistake of blending in the fans and listening too them to much, he sacked allyadyce, though not good was getting steady results. kevin keegan a toon icon was hired and the club nearly avoided relegation. last season once keegan walked out undermined by ashly's private sell and buys, ashly then hired a manager with heart problems who didn't last the season and again hired another toon icon but with no experince. the result was relegation.

And still newcastle are stuck with him, even as he put the club on sale via email! he hasn't tried to cut down on wages or put spending on a new squad. In short Newcastle have been bogged down by incompetance.

now that's bad ownership.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the worst ownership in sports? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Korgeta":36ma6u02]Am surprised newcastle United football club haven't recived a mention.

Where do we start? this club not only had one bad ownership but two in succsession!

freddy shepherd and mike Ashly

Newcastle's demise is a bit more complicated but the two main contributions were a poor running of the club, freddy shepard was in danger of over spending, and more infamously fred was the victim of a news of the world story where he was caught attending a brothel and quoting on gerodie women were like dogs. he also mocked several newcastle key players at the time. he resigned but later voted himself back in.

it was either he or his partner douglas hall that maintained a fire trigger of managers for the club, bobby robson the main example. Greame souness and glen roeder were hire and fire within one season inbetween. There is a element that he bent over to player power and negelected the parts of the training ground that needed repairing, the result being that the key players were injured as a result.

Then mike ashly took over and his decsions were naive at best, he selected 'freinds' to run football matters, this is a bad idea when your friends aren't upto the job and you don't fire friends do you? one bad choice was dennis wise as director, he his manager record was unproven and his reputation was a thuggish one (he broke a player's jaw at another club)

however mike ashly made the mistake of blending in the fans and listening too them to much, he sacked allyadyce, though not good was getting steady results. kevin keegan a toon icon was hired and the club nearly avoided relegation. last season once keegan walked out undermined by ashly's private sell and buys, ashly then hired a manager with heart problems who didn't last the season and again hired another toon icon but with no experince. the result was relegation.

And still newcastle are stuck with him, even as he put the club on sale via email! he hasn't tried to cut down on wages or put spending on a new squad. In short Newcastle have been bogged down by incompetance.

now that's bad ownership.

Well at the time of this thread, Newcastle weren't that bad, but now they are and we can all point our fingers at Mike Ashley and label him a pile of fail.

Course, the blame shouldn't all go on him, though:

To Alan "The Messiah" Shearer, for proving that for every retired player who becomes a good coach (see: Gianfranco Zola), there is a bad one as well (see: Ronald Koeman).
To Joe Kinnear, for forever immortalizing Simon Bird in managerial history.
To Joey Barton, for the inevitable bad luck he brings to any team he plays for, as well as his downright stupidity.
To Fabricio Coloccini, for carrying Deportivo La Coruna's bad luck to St. James'.
To Michael Owen, for his decision to play a different sport - speed healing (he was bad at it too!), during his tenure at Newcastle.
To that chief guy other than Ashley (let's not name him anymore), just... get out.
To the transfer guru, because no one knew who the hell Xisco was before going to England. Now he's known as "that relegated guy."
To the Newcastle fans who in the midst of the season still had the guts to claim they're fighting for a spot in Europe... great, man! Aston Villa will be facing the likes of Hamburg and Genoa, you guys can face... Sheffield United.
To the Goal movie (first one), because everything that happens in fiction doesn't happen in real life. (And hey, Santi Nunez was bad anyway)

So yes, while Ashley is the main cause, we can't forget everyone else, can we? ;)

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's funny. Rereading this whole thread from 2 years ago, just about all the teams people complained about on Page 1 went on to have some decent success. Except the Lions.

Bruins did great recently. Blackhawks too. Phillies won a World Series. D-Rays (Now just the Rays) went to one. Manc U is, of course, still a good team. Cardinals went to last year's Superbowl.

All the while the Lions put up the NFL's first 0-16 season. I think that simple point alone shows how right Sai was with the proclamation of the Lions being the worst owned franchise in American Professional Sports. Sure, the Royals still suck, as do the Orioles, Browns and the Clippers, but seriously. The Lions take the pathetic cake.

My ranking of worst franchises in American Sports.

1. Detroit Lions
2. Los Angeles Clippers
3. Cleveland Browns
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. Phoenix Coyotes
6. New York Knicks
7. Kansas City Royals
8. Charlotte Bobcats
9. Washington Nationals
10. Los Angeles Kings

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Niners seem to be doing well too. Thank god!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: