Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Valkyrie Profile 3: The Accused One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.vipper.org/vip770174.jpg
http://www.vipper.org/vip770182.jpg

Seems VP2-ish, except in 3d in regards to battles.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
You get one tiny, blurry screenshot, and suddenly it looks worse than the original. Alrighty, fellas.

Well, it does. There is much more detail in the original PS1 game sprites, since it uses the 2D perspective. The second screenshot you posted didn't even have a sprite in it; just character art. More-than-likely, it'll just be for cutscenes.

Those last few pictures certainly look better, but, of course, pre-rendered CG tends to.

I trust Tri-Ace to make this a fine title, but they're definitely not trying to make it pretty, is all I'm saying.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you missed the part about a tiny, blurry screen that's been blown up exponentially to show the basic image.

Would the game look like ass based on that one screen? Yeah, maybe, it doesn't look so hot. But that's the problem about basing an opinion on one little thing like that-- still a lot more to see. The recent images (which Himuro's links no longer send people to) look much better.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As you can tell, there's a bit of a nostalgia nod with the Hit counter and health bars being lifted from the original game. Everything looks fantastic actually, and I can't wait to see it in motion.

Last edited by Leb on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even if it was blurry, it's not the resolution that makes it look worse than the original. And that's what I'm saying. I'm not claiming that the game looks like, as you say, "ass." I'm saying it doesn't look as good as the original Valkyrie Profile. Let's do a comparison, since I'm posting from my PC now.

The new pics you posted certainly look better than the original, but, blur or no, the original VP still looks better. There's a lot more detail in all the sprites, since they're much larger. Although, I admit, the new game looks a lot better than I thought it did before I put these images next to each other.

Note, also, that the Valkyrie Profile picture is from the PSP version, which apparently looked blurrier than the original due to the image being streched.

Like you, I look forward to seeing it in motion, and, of course, to play it. :)

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Still talking about a small image scanned and expanded in size. You're trying to argue why you think it looks better, which I can't argue about (being an opinion and all). My point was that you were jumping to a conclusion awfully quick; not that this game looked superior to the original.

But personally, I see how bad the PSP version's sprites look. They ran that thing through a filter, and it's a complete hack job. Lenneth in particular suffers from the blur noticeably.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New scan and info.

The dude on the left, whatever his name is (I guess possibly Theodore, but that should be something like セオドアー), is the guy from that teaser trailer a little while back.

Quote:
· Accused One takes place on a smaller scale than the original VP because, being a human, Wilfred lacks the ability to fly over the whole world in a flash.
· VP2 focused mainly on just Silmeria. VP1 focused on the einherjar. People liked that a lot, so they're bringing it back.
· However, they hope there will be a heightened connection to the mortal characters as you interact with them human-to-human rather than through the cold detachment of Valkyrie objectivity.
· They also think you'll feel a greater connection as characters may live or die or become allies or enemies by the choices you make in the game. At the end of chapters, you'll make decisions that cause the story (and Wilfred's role) to diverge.
· The einherjar are all new, and there are a considerable number of them -but they won't say how many yet.

Quote:
· VP2 focused mainly on just Silmeria. VP1 focused on the einherjar. People liked that a lot, so they're bringing it back.

Quote:
they're bringing it back

Very, very good start!
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aw man, for a moment I thought the guy with the green cape was Lezard... dammit.

Freya? Again? She's so... argh.

Sounds great, though, especially being able to change events due to choices. And great to hear the Einherjar make a return---they sorta sucked in Silmeria.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the weird thing is that his portrait shows him laughing in a way that's very similar to Lezard's, back in the original. But, sadly, the dude has a different name (can't read it, but it's definitely not レザード) and sports a beard. Lezard in disguise?! Only time will tell!
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, nothing on this topic for over a year now, this is the Covenant of the Plume game right? I just got the game today over Chrono Trigger (remade for the millionth time) on DS, I already saw all the okay at best reviews so I was trying to flip it for the DS GTA, but there wasn't a copy around so I think I'm stuck with this game.

Is anyone playing it? How is the game? It was good to hear the story is dark and interesting but I never really got into the past VP storylines, is it seriously lacking overall as a game and worst than the better recent DS rpgs like Tierkreis, Fire Emblem & Dragon Quest?
Mikltov

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Valkyrie Profile 3: The Accused One Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game is just a Valkyie Profile Spin-Off... There is no Lezard Valeth, or other famous Einherjars (like Arngrim or Mystina ect...). Moreover, it's a tactic RPG whereas the two Valkyrie Profile were scrolling RPG (like Castlevania, but with much more liberties)
I give you a piece of advice... Sacrifice at least one or two characters in your first game (don't count the first one in the Prologue, you MUST sacrifice him)... If you don't kill a character, it will be hard for you to finish the game... It's even harder than not being killed in Fire Emblem...
I could finish the game he first time without killing a character... And in the last chapter, it was really hard (and you must definy a true strategy to go to the last boss, use special items and special spells...)

It's a good game, there's no doubt about it. But, that's true, I'm also a Valkyrie Profile's Fan... But, not as good as Tierkreis. I can't compare with Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest, I don't have them...
You can only compare it with Disgraea and Fire Emblem. But, like CT and DQ, I don't have them (except a Fire Emblem on GBA)
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played the game, and my opinion on it is that it is a good game mechanically but they dropped the game in the story and character department. The characters are completely undeveloped. You basically meet a character, help them out, have them join you, and then never hear from them ever again. And then the whole premise of the story seems stupid to me because the main character blames Valkyrie for his father's death despite the fact that Valkyries aren't supposed to kill to get souls(although I know there were exceptions in the first Valkyrie Profile game).

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll probably end up getting this game because I'm a sucker for all VP games.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ranadiel":12m41zet]I've played the game, and my opinion on it is that it is a good game mechanically but they dropped the game in the story and character department. The characters are completely undeveloped. You basically meet a character, help them out, have them join you, and then never hear from them ever again.

That's basically the problem of all Valkyrie Profile game, considering the game mechanics. I wish they could somehow find a way to work around this.

[quote="Ranadiel":12m41zet]And then the whole premise of the story seems stupid to me because the main character blames Valkyrie for his father's death despite the fact that Valkyries aren't supposed to kill to get souls

He doesn't know that; it's not like the residents of Asgard communicate their intentions and inner workings much with humans. I do think Wylfred is stupid for many things, but this is actually one ignorance I find plausible and tolerable.

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Scrooge McDuck":vsfsrhau]
That's basically the problem of all Valkyrie Profile game, considering the game mechanics. I wish they could somehow find a way to work around this.

Hmmm I guess that is true to some degree, although in VP2 you did have some plot characters....who incidently were the only characters I used. I'm not sure why I was willing to forgive it in VP1 but not in this one. It might be because in VP1 there actually was an ending where your characters mattered, although that was only three characters so maybe not. Maybe I just found the antogonists in this one to be boring and displaced my feelings for that onto the cast.....or I just found the recruitable characters boring while I actually liked some in VP1. *shrugs*

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: