Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Konami wants questions from us
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdballer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Relax. My comment about true fans was a response to the frequently repeated argument that suggesting any change to a series means you aren't a true fan. As in, my suggesting a name change in the US meant I was insulting the real fans of the series. I don't really care why one person or another likes the series. My argument (as a fan and the head of marketing for a 1/2 billion dollar company) is that the name presents a very real hurdle to gaining more widespread acceptance in the US market. More widespread acceptance (if the product is good) means more sales. More sales equals more games. Yay!

Of course, we could continue to argue that its not that confusing a name, that Final Fantasy fans are lame graphics whores, etc. and we'll get to watch the series stop being produced. Companies don't make products for the loyal few, regardless of how fervent their support.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing I have noticed with the Suikoden series is it simply is not visible enough, even upon release. It was quite difficult for to find a copy of Suikoden III when it was released and, even when I did find it, it was only because I knew what the Suikoden logo looked like as the game wasn't displayed with on the racks of the display case, but on the floor of the case, on it's side within a pile of other games, and there were only three copies. I happened to notice the Suikoden logo on the spine and got a worker to get me a copy.

That would never happen with Final Fantasy, not even the Final Fantasy XI expansion packs. They would have, at least, one whole rack full of copies, perhaps more. I think Tierkreis has a better shot than the previous installments, due to exposure in Nintendo Power, but whether or not people can actually find the game remains to be seen. Companies, Konami included, can't simply not promote a series, produce a low number of copies and expect stellar sales figures. Then there are the baffling decisions of re-releasing a popular game and not releasing it in the market which is willing to pay obscene prices on the secondary market for the originals. It's almost like the company does their research, concludes there is money to be made but want absolutely nothing to do with it.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh shoot, one question I would have also loved to ask is who are the people on the Suikdoen 1 NTSC version cover art.
We're pretty sure who they are, but an official account would be nice.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Vextor":faxy3cmr]Oh shoot, one question I would have also loved to ask is who are the people on the Suikdoen 1 NTSC version cover art.
We're pretty sure who they are, but an official account would be nice.

Then again, is that really something the dev team would know? Seems more like something only the US marketing team way back then could answer, and I have doubts if even they know what the hell that cover is supposed to be.

After playing the EU release a bit I really wish I had asked if they're ever going to put some effort into translating the games.
EternalDusk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. will there ever be a chance where we'll see the suikoden heroes in future games..WITH ACTUAL PERSONALITIES?!and voices.....pwease?
2.is it possible for the characters in the main Suikoden world to meet the ones in Suikoden Tierkries world?
3.will we find out more about Jeane in this installment or atleast the future ones?BECAUSE I SERIOUSLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS JEANE :damn:
4.whatever happened to Sierra?!there's been a lack of vampires lately.....
5.will Hikusaak be a hero or a villain in the future installments?
6. what the hell happened to windy or the other half of the gate rune?
Shabadoo

56688 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^Konami would not answer more than half of those questions. That's just chucking away valuable story lines.
Hiyatsu

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too late but

A fun question would of been "will there be a suikoden fighting game like that castlevania one?" or "will a howling guild based spin-off be made as an action shooter?"

A real question I have is that if 1, 2, 3 went out of print and were being hunted down. Is that not maximum profit given the amount they made? it's not like they lost money from making too many copies and saturating the market. 5 did well too, and 4 wasn't as good with the reviews but not many copies of those were made either.

That said, I preordered Tierkreis just to support the game statistically. I would of gotten it by other means but for games important to me, i straight up buy new. I just want a suikoden 6 soon.

My thought on the name changing. Japanese people are walking around hearing suikoden as "water margin" while we hear it as a foreign word we know not what it means (if you knew already, you have to think "oh yeah its water margin in japanese") So if the name changing helps, so be it.
chunx11

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agree with an earlier post, i have 5 questions to ask please:

1. As i said before that i agree with an earlier post, the question has to be of Victor and Flik, arguably the 2 most recognised and loved characters in all of the suikoden series (minus the hero's of course). Will we ever see them again?

2. Have you thought about possibly re-releasing the original 2 games as full 3d remakes?

3. Why was Suikoden III never released in Europe? (Something i was really annoyed to find out, as was all Europeans who support and love the series. We felt MAJORLEY let down.)

4. Will we ever see another suikoden game take place in a previous Suikoden nation possibly set sometime after the 2nd?

5. How many more will there be?
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to mention Vex has already chosen the list.

[quote="Vextor":1lrxoc6y]I read through all of the questions, and there were a lot of questions that pointed at the same thing. In some cases, I selected similar questions to drive the point, and I added some questions of my own, especially for plot related stuff that has been bugging me. Continuity is obviously at the core of everbody's concern, so a lot of the questions deal with that. The other core problem is promotion of the series outside Japan, especially how Suikoden 3 was never released in PAL regions. Anyhow, here's the 20 questions I tossed to Konami.

Quote:
1. Many Suikoden games worked old save data into bonuses or unlockables in subsequent games. Does the introduction of a hard drive and constant internet access on the latest generation of systems open up any possibilities of similar rewards for long time fans of the series who have played multiple games?

2. Many Suikoden fans fell in love with Hugo, Geddoe, and Chris Lightfellow of Suikoden III for their expressive personalities. Can we expect to see more talkative main characters, or will we see more silent heroes?

3. Many Suikoden fans like Fumi Ishikawa's artwork but do you plan to use her as an artist in future Suikodens? Why isn't her great talent being utilized by Konami (her last work was for Oz)?

4. Chris Lightfellow was a very popular female lead in Suikoden III, Do you think that a female Tenkai Star is possible in the future and what do you think are the challenges to using a women as the main character?

5. If Tierkreis is the future of the series can we expect to get any form of resolution to the unanswered questions of the old series?

6. What made you decide to make a completely new universe to bring in new fans rather than remaking the first Suikoden for one of the current platforms?

7. In the official timeline, it says that Crowley and Mazus had a duel before when they're supposed to have been born. Did they reincarnate? What is the story behind this, or is it an error?

8. The Suikoden series has always had an issue with appeal. There are numerous reasons why the series never really broke out of it's established fanbase with a more mainstream interest, but I think the majority would conclude for the most part it's down to advertising and promotion. Moving the series in a different direction (with Tierkreis, for example) alienates some of the existing fanbase with negligable results. Would then, Konami consider putting more emphasis (and finance) into promotion for the Suikoden series outside of Japan, as its only Role Playing Game franchise and one of the few remaining "traditional" installments of the genre produced today?

9. Many fans have heated debates over what makes a Suikoden game Suikoden, and often refer to to the "Suikoden feel" of a game. Depending on who you talk to it can be the story, the 108 stars of destiny, the true runes/rune system, 6 person battles, or any number of things. What would you consider to be the core qualities of Suikoden? What gives a game that "Suikoden feel?"

10. How does fan feedback factor into the development of the Suikoden games? Is it something that is seriously considered and actively looked for, and if so, has such feedback resulted in tangible changes in game development (examples would be appreciated)?

11. Japanese fans and fans around the world generally agree that Suikoden 2 was the best Suikoden. Why haven't you tried to build on that success by creating a direct sequel instead of setting the game in the distant future / past or in completely other worlds?

12. Why did you choose to set Tierkreis is an alternate and seemingly unrelated world when one of the major reasons fans appreciate the series so much are the connecting stories, characters, locations, etc. Is it just to attract new fans? And if so, why would you want to use an unrelated game (story wise) as an entry point to the series for new comers, when, if they decide to become more involved in the series they'll have to immerse themselves in the original story line and locations anyway? And are you not worried that this will just drive away old fans?

13. What are the plans for the next Suikoden game? When can we expect Suikoden VI? (Generally speaking.)

14. Given the apparent demand for Suikoden I and II, why was the PSP version overlooked for release outside of Japan?

15. Are there any further possibilities of future installments similar to Suikoden Tactics (Rhapsodia) and Genso Suikogaiden, that flesh out events mentioned in the Suikoden timeline (such as Hikusaak and the rise of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, The Scarlet Moon Empure Succession War between Barbarossa Rugner and Geil Runger, Higheast Rebellion, etc.)

16. Was there any reason behind characters and other objects being named after Zoroastrian mythology in Suikoden V?

17. Any thoughts on changing the franchise name (Suikoden) outside Japan to something that the average buyer might relate to a little easier? It has to have one of the most confusing to pronounce, difficult to promote names of any game? What's the benefit to that versus the "Water Margin" or "Stars of Destiny 1-5"?

18. Will any future installments include any fun side games like that seen in S2 - like the cooking competition?

19. Are you considering remaking Suikoden I and II? Suikoden I and II would look pretty amazing in HD, with crisp and sharp graphics (keep it in sprites), bright and exciting colours and of course HD size.

20. Why was Suikoden III not released in Europe (PAL) and is there ever going to be a chance for European gamers to play the game?

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I thought it was weird that people were continuing to ask questions even though Vex had chosen and listed which questions were being sent in. My guess is some people just read the first post and didn't bother checking the rest of the thread.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: