Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Terrell Owens Released

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Terrell Owens Released Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

T.O. has been released by the Dallas Cowboys. Logically speaking the move isn't surprising when you consider his age, the presence of Roy Williams (whom the Cowboys gave up way too much for to relegate him to number 2 duties), and his general divisive nature. However, it is surprising that the Cowboys adamantly said that he would be on the team for 2009, only to cut him. Of course, the fact that Jason Garrett is rumored to have given Jerry Jones a "him or me" ultimatum could have played a role.

Throwing out all the business of his controversial nature and the possibility that he is "poison" to a team, I still think it was the right move. Even though it ultimately costs the Cowboys an extra million or so in cap space to get rid of him, he's getting old and they needed to create room for Roy Williams to be the number one guy because of how much they paid for him. Also, they've got a lot of younger guys ready to step up, who are cheaper and lower profile. Austin Miles in particular is very promising and they still have Patrick Crayton.

I'll be interested to hear what comes out of both parties' mouths now that the responsibility to keep things in house is gone. But truthfully, while his personality certainly could have played a role in this release, I really don't believe it was the only factor here.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, TO's exit out of dallas was finalized when they got roy williams in my opinion.

I think that finances be damned, they need to get rid of TO for the betterment of the club.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Owens is a Buffalo Bill. Opinions?

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan and I have mixed feelings. On one hand he's got talent and will play great. But will he be a cancer? I'm hoping he's trying to rebuild a tarnished image. Play 1 year and don't cause a ruckus with Trent Edwards or Dick Jauron. Show he can be a team player. Put up good numbers to be desirable Then hit FA next offseason and land a big contract.

Buffalo plays the willing host to the parasite in need of a quick fix.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, just giving him a 1 year deal is probably worth it. We'll have to see if last year's decline in production was an indication of a decline in his skills, or some other factor, but it'll be nice to see him get lit up by the Pats twice next year :)

~Uguu!~
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder if this signing has as much to do with franchise visibility as it does with the quality of the player. I was talking to a Bills fan who remarked that suddenly his team was in the spotlight and he wasn't used to it, which got me thinking. Admittedly, I haven't been riveted to Buffalo Bills stories as they develop, but I seem to remember something about them causing a little ruckus with their home city when they unveiled plans to have some games in Toronto due to low ticket sales or something.

I think this could be just as much a P.R. and financial move as it is a move to improve the roster. Why else would a team like the Bills fork out $6.5 million in guaranteed money for a 35 year old trouble maker? That's more than he got paid in Dallas for 1 year's worth of work, and his Dallas contract wasn't anything to sneeze at; Dallas actually has more money against the salary cap now that they've released him than if they would have kept him. The Bills just don't normally go for that sort of thing.

Sailor: Get ready for twice a year Owens v. Moss headlines. >_>

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Dallas releasing Owens was definitely the right move. For what they were paying him, his production from last year doesn't really merit keeping him even without the presence of Roy E. Williams. With Williams? Definitely time for Owens to go.

Of course, that leaves us with the question of whether Owens' subpar season last year was a fluke, or a sign that the end of his career is approaching. Personally, I think it was a little of both. On the one hand, Owens' performance was certainly impacted by the whole Brad Johnson fiasco, by the heavy-handed edict from club management to stick with the run more frequently, and by the fact that heavy coverage on him leaves other guys open.

However, it was also clear to me that Owens had no good answer for defenses getting physical with him at the line of scrimmage and knocking him out of his routes. I wouldn't have called Owens a spectacular route-runner (in that he tends to give up on them too quickly) to begin with, and the disruption seemed to mean that he was never in the right place at the right time. Frankly, that ruins a receiver's viability as a quarterback option in a quick throw situation, which really diminished Owens' usefulness. If teams can keep doing this to him with any degree of success, his star will fade quickly. It is worth noting, however, that his play was stronger in the second half of the season. I don't tend to watch Dallas' games very often, so I'm not sure why this was? Perhaps the offensive scheme found new ways to get him involved / away from a press coverage situation. Worth thinking about, anyway.

As for the Buffalo Bills part of this, I think it's clear that while the Bills are developing as a team into a legitimate contender, they're also not quite there yet. Picking up a veteran WR could help the club out a lot in the coming season. I also think there's definitely something to be said for the fact that Owens is a 'high visibility' player and will bring a lot of press to the Bills. Even if he generates problems, those actually tend to generate even more hype and attention, and might drive up ticket sales to the Bills' games.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: