Suikoden United and Irrational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dragon Ball Kai

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Dragon Ball Kai Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dragon Ball Z is getting an extensive face lift in Japan, much more so than the remastered editions which Funimation have been releasing. What looks to be happening, other than the editing of the visuals to high definition widescreen is the series itself will be re-edited to roughly a third of its original length. The common belief is this means the non-manga components will be removed and seriously bloated battles (like the "five minute" battle between Goku and Frieza which ends up lasting roughly 10 episodes) cut down to a more reasonable time. As a result, the dialogue is being re-recorded along with the soundtrack.

Ironically, the purists damned Funimation for their cropping of the footage (I believe it had to do with damage to the film masters they have) and have thus boycotted the remastered releases. Now Toei not only crops footage, but actually edits the content in far more elaborate ways than Funimation and it is perfectly okay?

Yeah... some serious double standards in the realm of otakus.

So... does anybody else find this of interest or would you rather just stick with the original version?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This sounds like an interesting aspect of Dragon Ball Z!
It's like a whole new level of DBZ or just like DBZ remix or DBZ reborn
Now it is not only our generation that can enjoy/relive the memories of DBZ but the next generation (which according to me are like the babies and the 3-5 years old kids nowadays) get to enjoy DBZ like we did before (with the exception of less 10 episodes of killing Frieza) :D
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've been able to gather, pretty much the only thing which will remain from the original version are most of the visuals themselves. While there will be some cropping and digital enhancements, for all intents and purposes, it will refreshed for the HD generation.

It will be a bit different to see the series in a compact 100 episode (or about that) format, but we've had experience with the English dub and mass editing back in the 90s. Like I said before, it's quite ironic that people are open minded and getting excited about the new version while still condemning the English dubs for essentially doing what Toei is doing with Kai.

It will be interesting to see if Funimation licenses the new version, especially since they should finish releasing the remastered sets (as well as movies) of Dragon Ball Z by the end of May. I'm hoping Funimation will get around to doing sets for the original Dragon Ball as no Dragon Ball series is on the air in Canada anymore.

Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some Animes that got English dubbed fits perfectly and some the reverse.
To me, the English dubbed Dragon Ball Z doesn't really fit perfectly and the fact that we are fortunate enough to have subtitles in the original series is a satisfaction already.

Btw, when you said "the original Dragon Ball" do you mean the series/saga when Goku's still a kid all the way up to the tournament where he beat Picollo?

Ahh the HD generation. They got the best that are still yet to come haha.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Flamo Bringer":1hv1aws6]Btw, when you said "the original Dragon Ball" do you mean the series/saga when Goku's still a kid all the way up to the tournament where he beat Picollo?

Yeah, that would be the one. I think it's just a matter of time (that being, when Funimation reclaims the distribution rights to the Pilaf arc, which I have heard should be in 2010) until season sets for Dragon Ball like the Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT season sets. I have seen all of the latter two series, but very little of Dragon Ball and none of Funimation's recent dub of Dragon Ball, as Canada received a dub through Blue Water studios of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT, which have long since left YTV's schedule.

The only bit about the English dub which I'm not all that fond of is the soundtrack, which is made moot by the DVD sets featuring the English dialogue with the original soundtrack except, oddly, the opening theme. What's strange is on most of the movies released in the remastered sets feature the entire Japanese soundtrack in the English version, except for Gohan's insert songs, which become instrumentals.

I guess the question remains will Dragon Ball Kai, which technically isn't a new show, be brought over for broadcast or simply released direct to DVD. (You know they're going to milk anything Dragon Ball for as much as they can get)

Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Elc":2vtwuxsv]I guess the question remains will Dragon Ball Kai, which technically isn't a new show, be brought over for broadcast or simply released direct to DVD. (You know they're going to milk anything Dragon Ball for as much as they can get)

Why of course, I think that the first thing in their mind when they release this "Dragon Ball Kai" is that they are targeting the audiences that grew up loving, watching or seeing the Dragon Ball series (that is, Dragon Ball, DBZ, DBGT and so on).
Little do they care about the HD generation but of course we have to remember the fact that Animes appeals more to younger audiences. Therefore, DB Kai would have a lot of potential to once again, make it the number one or most wanted anime of all times. (Which therefore of course, leads to $$$ :D)
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never seen the original "not-touched by american anime producers" DragonBall Z....so I can't really say much on that topic......
though if DB Kai does do some DECENT edits and not just a whole *takes DBZ eps, cuts and throws out half of the content, then edits the heck out of the remaining half so that it still makes sense* kind of crude edit....then I may be interested in checking it out just to see some of the changes they did....

if I can find it that is.......

but doesn't anyone else feel like this "remaking" sounds a little similar to what they're doing with "Fullmetal Alchemist 2"?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Come to think of it, DB Kai might follow the story of the DB manga, a more simple, straightforward line.

And well, I've never seen Fullmetal Alchemist or the 2nd (well I have seen a bit of Fullmetal Alchemist like first or 2nd episode but thats it) so can't say much about that =/
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've heard of the second Fullmetal Alchemist anime, but I haven't heard any real details about it. I do know that Funimation is really milking the original Fullmetal Alchemist animé as they are on their third DVD release of the series. First the singles, then the singles repackaged into four sets and now the complete season sets. You would think that simply releasing a product and, I don't know, keeping it in print would work wonders.

How many different versions of Dragon Ball Kai do you think Funimation will put out? I'm guessing:
* "Edited" DVD with English broadcast audio only.
* "Uncut" DVD with English broadcast audio and Japanese audio with English subtitles.
* "Uncut" DVD season box set with English broadcast audio, English dialogue with Japanese audio and Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Plus whatever else Funimation can think of to try and milk the franchise dry.

Quote:
though if DB Kai does do some DECENT edits and not just a whole *takes DBZ eps, cuts and throws out half of the content, then edits the heck out of the remaining half so that it still makes sense* kind of crude edit....then I may be interested in checking it out just to see some of the changes they did....

I don't think the edits will be crude, but they are limited (for the most part) with the source material they need to work with. I would certainly like to see Vegeta's colouring (brown hair and greenish armor) corrected so it is consistent with the rest of his appearances.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just to explain a little more:
They (The Japanese producers, not the American localization companies) are making a "second season" of Full Metal Alchemist....but instead of a "sequel" it's more of a remaking of the whole anime, and it's supposed to follow the manga plot more closely (or so they say)....

.....As the original FMA anime, especially towards the end of the anime, deviated so much from the manga (which is still ongoing by the way) that it's impossible to pick off where it (the anime) left off, without contradicting/messing up something...

.....I feel like that's what they sound like they're doing with DBZ Kai too....though I've never read the manga so I don't know how similar the cases are......

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The manga and animé of Dragon Ball Z are actually very similar. It's not until Dragon Ball GT where it really strays from the manga, as there was no base Dragon Ball GT manga. As with any other long running manga-based animé series, there was a fair amount of filler produced, whether it was just an episode or two here (like when Goku and Piccolo have misadventures trying to get their driver's licenses) and there or entire story arcs (such as the Garlic Jr. and Otherworld Tournament sagas).

Basically, Dragon Ball Kai is essentially Dragon Ball Z (called "Kai" because it means "renewed" or "revised") cleaned up for high definition and, though unconfirmed at this point, with filler reduced to bring it closer to the pace of the manga.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: