Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Help! How to disassemble a PS2??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Help! How to disassemble a PS2?? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know that there are guides and such on the internet on how to disassemble a PS2 but apparently my PS2 version (I think) is different to the ones they show...

My one looks like this (see below)

whereas the ones they show on the guide looks like this (see below)

Now, notice the difference that my PS2 has only 8 circles compared to the guide's which is 10.
I have unscrewed all 8 screws on my PS2 and tried opening the cover up but it just wouldn't open. It seems that there are still a couple of screws that I would still need to unscrew, but they are covered by the orange line I drew on the 1st picture.
On the 2nd picture however, it doesn't have the line but instead a couple of the screws that can easily be taken out in order to open the cover up.
Therefore, does anyone know how to unscrew them/open the cover up with a couple of screws still needing to be unscrewed? :(
I've actually tried and use a bit of force to open them but I'm afraid that it would just break them or snap it in half or whatever so I kinda stopped there and am asking for your advice dear readers :cry:

NB: the reason I wanted to open em up is because I wanna clean the inside since I haven't been cleaning them for yonks!
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help! How to disassemble a PS2?? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Slim pr Phat?

V11&12 are pieced together differently than predating revisions which are modeled off the V1 chassis so of course retain similarities in disassembly, of course then that would infer that V11 & 12 are the slimline versions of the PS2 with guides leading towards the more uniform V1 revision for disassembly.

In saying that, you need to be extremely careful when opening up the PS2 because it contains ribbons and anti-static armbands which if you snap them it's game over friend there are no continues, so without further ado here is what you do.

The 8 screw version as opposed to the 10 screw uses clip in's to attach the section not screwed on (highlighted by your line) after unscrewing the 8 screws from the unit (facing upside down) you then flip the unit into proper horizontal position and lift the top of the unit from the back / fan area up and forward towards you extremely carefully as there is such a ribbon of death connected from the components inside the chassis to the top of the section to be removed.

From there, it's best to just link you to a video of such a disassembly [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7fhRUZazRE:2rg0t98l]on youtube[/url:2rg0t98l] so that you can run through the hassles before attempting it yourself.

I cannot stress enough being extremely careful in regards to the ribbons.

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh wow, that seems to work perfectly!
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it now ^^

EDITED: mine's a phat one btw :mrgreen:
it's really old ): XD

okay so I've unscrewed everything and followed the guides in the youtube link you've given to me.
The problem is that when trying to take off the cover, something seems to be stuck inside that doesn't allow me to take the cover as easily as the video showed.
I've applied brute force as well but then it still won't seem to open and I wouldn't want something to be snapped or anything ):
Any suggestions? ><
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does the cover slide forward at all when you attempt to remove it? As the case itself is designed to go over items like the DVD drive cover to create an inline finish.

There's another 8 screw youtube disassembly with basic instructions [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAgyziVb7JA&feature =related:du9ej8bl]here[/url:du9ej8bl] although it basically says the same as the other video.

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The cover did slide over a bit and as I lift up the cover it only goes halfway and it just stays there, couldn't go any further...
I couldn't slide it over furthermore either, so I was guessing that that was the limit of sliding it forward so...
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting, and you can't see anything obstructing the cover from being lifted completely off?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just like to warn you, your warranty (if it's still valid) instantly becomes void when you open up your PS2. Only a warning in case you weren't aware. :)
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ujitsuna":3jbarhq2]Just like to warn you, your warranty (if it's still valid) instantly becomes void when you open up your PS2. Only a warning in case you weren't aware. :)

Since it's a phat the warranty is already void to begin with since it's not lifetime for the product and they were phased out for the slim design. I believe they had 3 year standard with the option for 1-2 more and since first gen phats have been out for more than 5 years, well you get the point, plus third party repairers are far more comfortable replacing anything which may have been screwed up (like optical drives) nowadays then they were during the warranty period.

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup indeed. I got my PS2 back in 2002 so...
I think I'll get it fixed somewhere (I mean get it to a third party repairers to check out why the cover won't budge and such)
But thanks for the advice, sites and the descriptions you've provided Mr. eXistence of Fly :D
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not a problem, sorry it didn't all work out for you in the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: