Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Force Unleashed and your opinions

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: The Force Unleashed and your opinions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, I just bought Star Wars: The Force Unleashed last Friday. I was impressed with the trailer, as well as with the Soul Calibur IV promo, so i decided to get it. And i don't regret buying it at all.

If i had to define it, i would say that it's God-of-War-Star-Wars-style. You just go through the enemies mainly hacking and slashing, or Force pushing or Force Lightning-ing through the crowds, you have "puzzles" to solve and big enemies to engage that active time sequence thingies with (like the rancor. I guess Star Wars isn't much if you don't include a rancor). And you get to pull out new combos/skills when you level up or finish a mission.

And the story so far (i haven't finished it yet) is pretty decent, in my opinion, even though i just finished 5 missions and am currently on the 6th.

So, i was wondering about what you guys thought of it, if you have played it.

And on a sidenote, is anyone else looking forward to Fracture like me? I didn't know that Earth-elemental manipulation techniques would be so much fun.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That game is pretty bad, I was very interested to check it out at first because I heard the story was good, but after playing for around 3 hours and reaching the first major twist in the story, I'd say there's hardly enough going on other than the sub par action gameplay to keep me interested. I'm sure the story gets more interesting later, but I don't think it'll be worth playing such a mediocre game for.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see.

I pronounce myself somewhat impressed. It wasn't a great game. When the game rocks, it rocks. Amazing visuals, etc. Plus you can do ridiculous things all over town with the Force. There's a lot to like there. However, it suffers from some really bad problems:

1) The targeting controls are unbelievably poor. I found myself time and time again firing my lightning in the wrong direction for no apparent reason, or trying to attack an enemy who was blasting me with missiles and instead clutching the rock beside him. Sigh.

2) Some frustrating sequences. Many of these can be attributed to the poor targeting, while others can be attributed to infinitely respawning enemies. Infinitely respawning enemies are always the wrong call, by the way.

3) Some bugs. I noticed a few clipping bugs that caused me to end up places I wasn't supposed to be, and the like. It doesn't feel very streamlined for something so anticipated. Did they actually *** playtest this game?

4) Length. Total gameplay on the medium difficulty for me was somewhere between six and seven hours. Not much meat for a $60 third gen game!

Probably some other stuff I could think of, but I'm not really keen on going into anymore depth. Suffice to say that the game is good, but... probably a rent, rather than a buy.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, now that you mention it, Parallax, I was frustrated with the Force powers, mainly the Force grip. But i think i understand how it works, in that when you want to throw it, the direction of throwing works normal to you with kind of Cartesian coordinates, but not with you in the centre. That was annoying.

And a second thing was that you can skip some sequences, which are those related to the story. Instead, i either pause the game, for get that Force-Unleashed-logo at the corner of the screen.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any word on which would be better? the Wii with force power Wiimote or the PS3 with good graphics?

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to Zero Punctuation, the PS3 version is better. Two reasons for that: Yahtzee states that the Wii Remote definitely had inferior graphics (said to have put the GameCube the shame) but the second reason is that the Wiimote is just so cumbersome to use, because when you want to pull out a certain move, you might get something else.

But that's generally the story for all Wii games, IMO. If you start with the Wii Games, like that Baseball game, I managed to confuse the person playing the batsman by making weird movements not at all like pitching a baseball (e.g. I once thrusted my Wiimote to my right, and that apparently pulls a fast ball).

However, looking at Gamefaqs, you;ll get more goodies on Wii than you would in the PS3 version. For one, you fight against that Darth Phobos character, who is totally absent in the PS3 version (but i'm told that there'll be an update which will include her). But you also have these cheats that'll let you play as other characters like Qui Gon Jinn or Obi Wan. The most i'll get in my PS3 game is dressing up as hobo-Kota. :|

I haven't played the Wii version, but i'd like to try it out though.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Evil luca blight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Force Unleashed and your opinions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i play it on ps2 petty good :D but i beat it in a day
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did get and finish the PS3 version. The plot was pretty good. It was good to see Crashdown play the apprentice though, he's hot. But anyway, plot as okay, better than most action games. However, I found the controls frusterating. Maybe I'm just not that good at action games anymore. But the controls seemed somewhat clumsy. Especially force lift. I couldn't aim at anything.

The graphics were good. The levelling system worked fairly well. But in the end I would rather have another KOTOR then something like Force Unleashed.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Oppenheimer":113vmi83]I did get and finish the PS3 version. The plot was pretty good. It was good to see Crashdown play the apprentice though, he's hot. But anyway, plot as okay, better than most action games. However, I found the controls frusterating. Maybe I'm just not that good at action games anymore. But the controls seemed somewhat clumsy. Especially force lift. I couldn't aim at anything.

The graphics were good. The levelling system worked fairly well. But in the end I would rather have another KOTOR then something like Force Unleashed.

Actaully, that's something a majority of players that i had heard and read from talked about. The controls were not so player-friendly, even from my experience. And like you, i would rather have another KOTOR to play as well.

And evil luca blight, yeah, i was disappointed at how short it was. I would rather that it have twice as many missions.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: