Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nintendo Power Article **NEW ARTICLE**(added:Oct15)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Admiral Ackbar wrote:
Anyone can argue about how much they liked Suikoden 4 or how under-rated it was all they want, but the point is moot; it doesn't change the fact that the game was disliked (or, at best, met with a disappointed "meh") among most people that played it.

Facts are rare, most of them opinions in disguise.

If this was just personal preference, I would be identifying it as such. However, I am simply not seeing that Suikoden IV hatred on my end. Yes, I know of the lambasting reviews, but what about the gamers that I know? Several people who enjoyed Suikoden I and II but didn't care so much for Suikoden III were pleased with Suikoden IV. What I'm really seeing is a rift between those that liked III, and those that liked IV. For me, I was on the extreme end of Suikoden III dislike. If Suikoden IV had been another game like III, I would have been really disappointed in the series. However, it was something fresh and experimental, and it kept me interested in Suikoden, and I believe that deep down this is true for many people. Without Suikoden IV, there would have been a four year break between III and V, and even with the whiners, Suikoden IV kept the series alive and also addressed those who had been put off by III.

Blaming Suikoden V's poor performance on IV is ridiculous, without even considering more plausible effects like timing, flood of other RPGs, boring beginning (so renters and other testers would be turned away), slow pacing (making a lot of players bored during playing) and plain, washed out graphics which some actually saw as a step down from Suikoden IV. The internet fans who hyped the game aren't everything, we must also consider the larger RPG fanbase, to which Suikoden IV was more appealing than V.

It is this situation that Konami tries to break with Tierkreis. The internet fanbase is screaming things like "no true runes?!" "not a real Suikoden game!" and "why is it on a cheap handheld system and not a glorious HD system with beautiful graphics!" while not realizing that Konami is trying to reach out to a whole new audience, not just the dwindling number of old fans who keep complaining about everything. The production values are top notch, the gameplay looks high quality and it's getting a lot of hype to be on the RPG-filled DS platform. What if Tierkreis manages to break the Suikoden series' downwards sales trend? What if it manages to capture many new Suikoden players who don't need to know about True Runes or Jeane but then become interested in them? And even if that doesn't happen, developing a high-quality DS game hasn't cost an arm and a leg to Konami or taken 5 years of the development team's time, so the Suikoden series will still be viable, unlike what would happen after a failed HD outing with no backup plan. That's why it's no surprise Konami is eager to publish the game in US and Europe soon: they want to see if their strategy of getting new Suikoden players with Tierkreis is successful.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sami wrote:
It is this situation that Konami tries to break with Tierkreis. The internet fanbase is screaming things like "no true runes?!" "not a real Suikoden game!" and "why is it on a cheap handheld system and not a glorious HD system with beautiful graphics!" while not realizing that Konami is trying to reach out to a whole new audience, not just the dwindling number of old fans who keep complaining about everything. The production values are top notch, the gameplay looks high quality and it's getting a lot of hype to be on the RPG-filled DS platform. What if Tierkreis manages to break the Suikoden series' downwards sales trend? What if it manages to capture many new Suikoden players who don't need to know about True Runes or Jeane but then become interested in them? And even if that doesn't happen, developing a high-quality DS game hasn't cost an arm and a leg to Konami or taken 5 years of the development team's time, so the Suikoden series will still be viable, unlike what would happen after a failed HD outing with no backup plan. That's why it's no surprise Konami is eager to publish the game in US and Europe soon: they want to see if their strategy of getting new Suikoden players with Tierkreis is successful.

The problem I have with a lot of these changes, however, is that these changes aren't necessary to allow for new fans. The game could still have Runes (and True Runes), duels and war battles, and locations and characters from previous entries and still have sat nicely with new fans.

Suikoden I was meant to be a standalone game and it stood fine having only a few of the 27 True Runes mentioned. And most of the returning characters still worked in standalone games. Many of Suikoden's references are simply noticed by fans, while not seeming nonsensical/out of nowhere to someone unfamiliar with the previous entries.

That said, I don't have a problem with Tierkreis being more of a standalone game. I'm just concerned that, based on what was actually said in that article, that the developers are intentionally moving the entire future of the series in the direction of Tierkreis, which would be very disappointing to me.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who said the game has no more runes? The article mentions there are no more True Runes....but non-true runes are still fair play?

And you know....those runes: Bright Shield Rune, Black Sword Rune, Dawn Rune, Twilight Rune. They're technically NOT True Runes...but they are not exactly regular runes either.

So maybe Tierkries does introduce a "special" non-true rune and....if Tierkries goes well and attracts alot of fans. They might use it as a lead in for Suikoden 6?

((Totally speculation and theory-making here of course))

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not sure if this is already a well known fact, but the illustrations in these scans are probably by Hirooka Masaki, the illustrator for Castlevania - Order of Ecclesia. Check out his webpage: http://backfire.jp/
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just got the February 2009 issue of Nintendo Power and yet again they have another little article talking about Tierkries.
Even though Tierkreis is already out in Japan and there's really no "new info" that we can squeeze out plot/game-wise that one could look up through fan reviews, etc.....

Besides the fact the article now says the game will be released March 2009 as well ( :o )

I went ahead and scanned it in and uploaded it again...if anyone was interested in reading it anyway
[size=85:37bzc7fr]((seeing that I'm like the...self-proclaimed Tierkries Nintendo Power article scanner...LOL))

Link is on the first post again. Enjoy =)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neat.

I'm happy to see that they're actually making an effort to promote Suikoden and considering the how limited the DS is when it comes to RPGs (that are not remakes/ports), I think it will sell quite well.

Though, it might have some competition if it is indeed released on March 17th. That's the same day Valkyrie Profile DS comes out. Still, I'm very excited to finally get my hands on this game.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Darko":rnix6ksh]Neat.

I'm happy to see that they're actually making an effort to promote Suikoden and considering the how limited the DS is when it comes to RPGs (that are not remakes/ports), I think it will sell quite well.
Indeed.
Call me obsessed or whatever...but every time I found one of these articles in Nintendo Power I felt giddy with excitement...I have to admit ^-^;

Not necessarily because of the content of the article...but just the mere fact that it's getting actual print space in the magazine!

Or even when it's not an article...like for example....
ok well...I didn't scan it so I can't show it....but like in the table of contents of the Feb 2009 issue....they printed one of the Tierkries character artworks...like...in the spare space...next to art from KH: 358/2 day to boot.

I feel a little like a parent watching their kid grow into something notable or...something..."big enough to play with the big boys" so the saying goes?
*happy* x)

Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Darko":sj4rijjz]I'm happy to see that they're actually making an effort to promote Suikoden and considering the how limited the DS is when it comes to RPGs (that are not remakes/ports), I think it will sell quite well.

Eh, not really. The DS is becoming oversaturated with RPGs already, Tierkreis has to compete pretty hard to survive against everything else that's out there. Just look at [url=http://www.rpgamer.com/:sj4rijjz]RPGamer's[/url:sj4rij jz] upcoming list:

02.03 My World, My Way
02.10 Legacy of Ys: Books I & II
02.16 Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
02.17 Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
02.24 Blue Dragon Plus
02.24 Galactrix
03.10 Avalon Code

That's at least one RPG per week, and then the next week Tierkreis goes head-on with Valkyrie Profile DS. I think Konami made a mistake in waiting this long to bring out Suikoden on DS. On the PlayStation, Konami was among the first with Suikoden, and on PS2, Suikoden III was there pretty early, before the big wave of PS2 RPGs had hit, and it likely plays a role in the series sales. When Suikoden V goes against Final Fantasy XII or Kingdom Hearts 2, or Suikoden Tierkreis goes against Tales of Hearts and FF Dissidia in Japan and Valkyrie Profile in US, you know that sales will be diminished compared to releasing in a less contested period, or better yet, when there are less RPGs on the market overall. If Konami had got their foot in when Final Fantasy III was released for the DS, the whole Suikoden series could be making a killing on the DS right now. But instead, they waited too long, and the sales suffer as a result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: