Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rioting in Greece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Rioting in Greece Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So a friend of mine currently living in Athens right now contacted me today asking if I knew what was going on in Greece.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7774634.stm

When I answered no, she told me that last saturday there a was protest going on about the economics of Greece. During the protest it became violent and a teenage wound up dead from police fire. Which since then has started a nation wide anti-governmental backlash. She's told me that the city of Athens is filled entirely with smoke, and large parts of the city are on fire, there's mass looting starting as of today, banks and stores have been destroyed and things are generally starting to break down.

As horrifying as that all is, and as someone who has a close friend living alone in the middle of it. It's truely horrifying. We both agree what's more so is the fact that the US news media has almost no coverage of it at all. After she told me about it I asked all my friends if they knew, and none of them did. Not only that there was nothing about it in my news papers for the last three days. Turning on the news channels I flipped back and forth waiting to see more about it.. and there was nothing. Finally after an hour of it, there was a 30 second blurb about it on CNN about a civil protest going on in Greece.

I'm really not sure which one is more shocking and terrible honestly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CNN.com has plenty of coverage. The television stations are looking for ratings, and as anything happening in Europe is irrelevant to most Americans, they've decided to not cover it.

Just use the Internet for news. I've known about these protests for a while, and I don't know anyone in Greece.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say that coverage of the Greece riots have been quite good if one uses CNN as their news source on TV. Both Fox news and MSNBC have been lacking in their coverage but I don't see that as much of a surprise. Local coverage I will admit have been lacking. I will say that the lack of local coverage shoyuldn't be seen as Europe problem thus Europe news and not important to Americans. Local news coverage in the Bay Area has been small due to pretty much every news station covering the worsening local, state and federal economic problems.

I think as unfortunate as it may sound that most people here may not care about what's happening in Greece at the moment I think people have more personal things to worry about. Job loss, unemployment and other things that hit closer to home will probably be covered more.

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was in Athens over the summer, so this news caught my attention. Looking at news coverage, it was odd to see places where I had only walked a few months before, now empty and ablaze.

It's a very nasty situation, and will have some long-lasting reprecussions. We won't hear about it on the news here after this week, of course, seeing how the media works...

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Jowy":2dtapkrx]and as anything happening in Europe is irrelevant to most Americans,

Yes, that's the problem. I doubt, that most US-Americans can find Greece on the map. So I also doubt it's only because US-Americans have other problems now, they simply aren't interested in what's going on in the rest of the world.

Meanwhile there are "solidaritary protests" in other european countries (Italy, Spain and Denmark for example). I don't know if there's a coverage in US-media about that.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had heard of this for a bit of time. I beleive that the riots started at early December, like near the time that the Mumbai terrorist attacks went on.

It's a bit interesting to me, i haven't been all that up to date on it, but i do know that it is getting more serious.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a bit like the french rioting a few years ago, no? A killing by the police lets out all the people's angers that have accumulated over the years.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True, yet unlike the ones in France, this one seems to be spreading to other countries. Though i wonder, will it make a difference in the end?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: