Suikoden United and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Slowness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Slowness Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something going on with provider lately? I've noticed alot of slowness in loading, and even the occasional loading error.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I've noticed it too.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's mostly the first time I try to do stuff - the time that I assume that I'm being automatically logged back in - that I experience the problems the most.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's really slow for me when I initially log on but if I click around, the site is fine. I'm looking into it a bit more.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The new layout looks fancy, but its slow... scrolling feels really sluggish, possibly because of element distribution or some small elements which make the standard line height small. Is there any new features in the forum now? I prefer the old snappy layout. And why can't the logo be a link to anywhere?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowness Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrolling and speed is fine for me, not 100% as fast as the old skin, but thats because it was a lot simpler.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Upgrading the forum didn't fix the session issue, so we're looking into a more radical fix.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good idea on the link! I've made the logo a link to the main page.

The scrolling slowness is due to the complexity of the HTML / CSS. The old layout was based on TABLEs which were a lot quicker. The slowness is also related to the performance of your computer. At home, I have no problems with the layout and scrolling. I have a nice computer at home though. At work however, it gets choppy.

I would imagine it is the viewforum.php page that is most affected (http://suikox.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) where as viewing a topic (http://suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32100) isn't as bad. The forum index is bad, at least for me because we have a large amount of forums... only way to help alleviate this is if some nations wanted to get rid of some of their unused forums.

Anyway, to address the viewforum.php page, I have changed the board's default view of topics per page from 100 down to 50. Let me know if this helps alleviate some of the slowness or sluggishness when scrolling.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Slowness Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If my comp can run Portal, it should be able to handle Suikox...

The forum topic listing now scrolls faster than the actual topics. Guess I should try with Chrome and Opera 9.SUX too to see if the performance is browser-related.
ThricebornPhoenix

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="fuji":18h5gwux]The scrolling slowness is due to the complexity of the HTML / CSS.

The background for the container class being 'fixed' seems to be the problem. At least, removing that value resulted in noticeably smoother scrolling for me. I'm not sure if there's any reason for it to be that way in the first place, since the image is quickly obscured as you scroll down the page.
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the tip ThricebornPhoenix. I liked the fixed background image because it works a lot nicer on pages not used on the forums (the rest of the web site to be more precise) but, if it's slowing things down for our members then that's no good either. Next chance I get I'll play around with the forum's style again.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I removed the "fixed" CSS setting for the BG and preformance should be much better now for everyone?

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Technical issues Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: