Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Watchmen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Watchmen Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are you guys excited in seeing the upcoming movie The Watchmen? Well, i just read all of the original comic book, and i found it to be pretty awesome. And i just realised then that it was created by Alan Moore, the creator of V for Vendetta and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Well, for those who don't know what it's about, it's generally about a world where costumed crimefighting heroes aren't appreciated anymore, and the lives of five of them. The setting of the original comic was in the 80's where Richard Nixon serves a 5th term in office, and the Soviet Union invades Afghanistan and is pushing into Pakistan, and the threat of nuclear war is more real than ever.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Watchmen is a narrative that's particularly well suited for a media transition - and most narratives aren't.

I don't really know much about the project aside from having seen the trailer, which was good. It captured the look and feel of a lot of things pretty well, which I guess is easier when it's coming from a graphic novel. I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the choice of director, and I don't really know the actors that are involved so... yeah, I'm actually sort of in the dark.

I am, lamentably, not excited for the movie. In fact, I don't believe I can bring myself to see it.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Asch

Oracle Knights Special Operations

2640 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm really excited for the movie. It'll be tough to get right, but I think Zack Snyder can do it. At the very least, he has the visual look down pat. And he's also wisely saving the Tale of the Black Freighter for its own separate thing on the DVD release, as that was a big obstacle to tackle for getting the movie's narrative flow to work (plus I won't particularly miss it in the movie). As long as the ending's done right, I think the movie will be good.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Truth be told, i also don't know any of the actors in the movie as well, Parallax. THough i did hear that the one that was playing Nite Owl, whatever his name was, actually gained weight for the role instead of wearing a fat suit.

One thing that i feel was of some concern was that they tried to make the costumes more, well, "neo", if you know what i mean. If you don't know what i mean, then i'll just say that i don't mean they tried to make it more like the Matrix. I meant that they tried to modernise the costumes of those heroes, like they did with the Batman movies (Batman Forever comes to mind), and the X-Men movies. I was thinking that it would be better if they would look more gaudy, but not as far as 1960's-TV-Batman-gaudy. :roll:

I do want to see this movie. I anticipate that it'll be better than most comic-book adaptations.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read the graphic novel and saw the trailer. Though I know deep in my heart the transition from comic book to film will cause some loss of what makes this masterpiece what it is, I still can't help but want to watch it all in the big screen.

So yeah, I'll be going to the theater to watch this movie, probably the same day it comes out :P
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's the newest and quite spectacular trailer for Watchmen.
[url=http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid30177898 8/bctid2275908001:1bwhex8y]Watchmen trailer[/url:1bwhex8y]

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's hot. I somehow knew they'd choose Muse for the trailer. It's a fit that's undeniable. ;)

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow. They sure are doing a wonderful job out of psyching me up for this movie. And I must say the choice in music is definitely awesome.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too bad that it's coming out in Spring next year. Why can't it come out for December instead? :wink:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My husband and I are ridiculously stoked to see this. We'd both read the graphic novel and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm curious as to what mention of the Black Freighter there will be or if they'll even bother mentioning it in the movie.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've heard they've decided to exclude it from the movie. However, they will be making a feature out of it that will probably be bundled within the DVD or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: