Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dostoevsky- The Literary Genius

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Dostoevsky- The Literary Genius Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have recently become familair with his works, read crime and punishment and i am now reading The Gambler.

Anyone else read his novels or short stories?
Every since reading C and P i have looked at the way people resond to me differently on a psychological level.

how has Dostoevsky affected you?
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a bit of a closet fan of all great Russian literature. I'm most familiar with some of the others, Tolstoy and Chekhov in particular, but I can't say I haven't been exposed to some Dostoevsky. His worldview interests me, and the way that it infects his characters and the tone of his novels makes for a pretty depressing portrait at times. I wouldn't say that he's necessarily had a huge impact on the way I look at myself, others, or the world though. But that may simply be because I haven't had enough exposure to his works yet.

I'm working on reading The Idiot at the moment, which would be the first full novel of Dostoevsky's that I've completed reading. All of this is as part of my attempt to broaden my own understanding and breadth of knowledge with the stories of nations other than my own.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Read Notes from Underground. He wrote it whilst imprisoned in Siberia. It is the most honest of all his works on the nature of society and how one functions as a member of society. It's adored by the existentialist community and the literary community alike. I can honestly say it changed the way I look at the world. I'm familiar with a lot of Russian literature from the same time period but nothing has ever touched me like this, save for Mann's master works.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read Crime and Punishment. I absolutely hated it, from pretty much every angle. It pretty much turned me off of Russian Literature completely.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Fydor Dostoyevsky! I'd like to read more Russian literature, but with old pieces, i do have a habbit of starting and not finishing. I've read notes from the underground, and saw a book of his collected works - which'd be better than purchasing them seperatly. It's a bit pricy, and i'm not sure if it's all his works, or just the better known stuff, but it is darn big.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yes, I've read portions of Notes from Underground. I haven't completed reading the work, but what I've read so far has very much impressed me. It's been years since I've picked it up though, to be honest...I didn't even think of it until Scarlet mentioned it.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ive read Notes from the Underground, but i wwas turned off by it in that i really wasnt in the mindset at the time to read what seemed to me groups of analytic essays concering life etc. i wanted a great story so i started reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway instead.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Dostoyevsky but haven't really gone near anything of his for a while. Like a lot of you I'm also a fan of (with eventual plans on becoming a buff of) Russian Lit. I read literature from France, England, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia and North America, both past and present for my program and nothing comes close to the passion and imagery of the Russian Greats (like Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, as well as the poetry of Pushkin).

Off the top of my head, I've read 5 of his works; The Idiot, Letters from the Underground, Crime & Punishment, Memoirs from the House of the Dead and The Brothers Karamazov. Karamazov is easily my favorite so far because of the sheer size and scope of the story it weaves, and also because of the compellingly human characters (especially Dimitri Fydorovich and Fyodor Karamazov). Of everything of his I've read so far, it is also the largest and hardest to read.

The Idiot is a fine choice, Parallax and it too was the first of his novels I read. I can never find myself in literary characters, but I do see some sort of relation with the Prince (Mishkin) and the way he's sort of a Jesus figure despite all of the strangeness going on around him. I've also been in the same sort of situation before (with none of the death and drama) so it was interesting to read and did actually give me some insight into how I felt at the time, even if I didn't know it.

So in summation he kicks ass, but not everyone can handle him, and yeah, sometimes the imagery and allegory get a little tedious (like the 20 page side-narrative about the coming of Jesus to Seville by Ivan Fydorovich in Brothers), but he doesn't do stuff like that without reason (as that example perfectly illustrated the nature of man, and also of the near-hypnotic essence of Ivan). If you have some time on your hands and are tired of reading the same old crap, give him a shot.
Bright Shield Rune bearer

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've read Kramazovy, Notes from the Undgr., Crime..., I'm about to read rest of collection. I'm lazy to write down thoughts and impressions since it would take me forever. Glad to see there are other fans of Dostojevsky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: