Suikoden Unique and Illegal Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just finished Death Note: Another Note, which is a side story written by Mello about one of L's former cases. It's a really good read, and it has a twist that even through me for a loop. But it's about the first time L and Naomi Misora worked together, and the first time L used the name Ryuzaki.

Moving on to Going Postal by Pratchett and probably read Making Money right after it. Gotta love Moist!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading Count Zero...which is the sequel to Neuromancer, that I've really just never gotten around to reading. I've had a serious interest in cyberpunk and its origins lately, so I started by reading Neuromancer again, and I'll probably read half a dozen others before I'm done with this little fad.

We'll see.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
Finished Mugabe in a week, and I've since read "The Last Days of Old Beijing" by Michael Meyer, "The Czechs and the Lands of the Bohemian Crown" by Hugh Agnew, "Out of Mao's Shadow" by Philip P. Pan, and "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky. I'm currently reading "The Bin Ladens" by Steve Coll.

I changed my mind after two or three days and read "Reappraisals" by Tony Judt instead, then read Norman F. Cantor's "In the Wake of the Plague" yesterday. Both books were pretty bad. Well, I enjoyed them, but neither are what you'd call a scholarly review. I'm going to try Robert D. Kaplan's "Eastward to Tartary" next.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am reading a book Hugh Laurie has written in 1997... or at least it was published that year. I think its name is "The Weapon Seller", although its german title is rather strange and has nothing to do with the story. I like the book, even in german. It is funny, witty and entertaining.

The Fool
mega0soft

Fight For Love

38146 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Genesis and the Big Bang.. I haven't read all pages of the book. Only about 1/4 or smthin..
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading actually some non-fiction books at the moment. Two have caught my interest:

Identity and Violence - Amartya Sen: Nobel Prize winner for Economics in 1998, Amartya Sen writes about how violence is inflicted on people whom they have been categorised into one identity, while discarding the others, many of which they may have a lot in common. It's actually more to do with the dynamics of the concept of identity and how we as human beings play it off one another. He includes his critique on Huntington's "clash of civilisation", as well as critiquing the notion of "Asian Values".

Violence-Slavoj Zizek: This oddball Slovenian philosopher writes about how the violence that we see at the outset is but a display where there was a kind of "invisible" violence that prevailed for a prolonged time.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just finished Dead until Dark as well as Living Dead in Dallas. Just a few days prior, I finished Kiss of Fire, Gargoyle, and Faefever. O_o Working in the bookstore's got me caught in a frenzy once again.

This morning, I started reading Wicked Lovely and will probably be done with that in a day or so between work and WoW and a few art things I need to do. Sleep is for the weak.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was curious about those Dead Until Dark books; are they amusing? Decent? SUCKY?!

I'm reading Empress by Miller. It's enjoyable and well-written but I haven't been drawn in and forced to read for hours.

Last night I read The Long Halloween and The Killing Joke (although... as graphic novels, I am not sure if those count). Good stuff, good stuff...
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading The Novice, the second book in the Dark Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. It was recommended to me by a mate who tells me it's the best series he's ever read. At this stage, I'd tell him to branch out a bit more, because, even though it's quite good and promises to get better, I wouldn't consider it one of the higher etchelons of fantasy fiction.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading Harpy Thyme by Piers Anthony. It is the 17th novel in the series and quite possibly my favorite as it is the one that I found first from the series all those years ago...
Yohn

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Celes Tilly wrote:
I was curious about those Dead Until Dark books; are they amusing? Decent? SUCKY?!

In all honesty, I really am enjoying them. Usually books written in first person are a turn-off for me, but these weren't terrible at all. I'm anxiously waiting to get the 3rd book from work as we've sold out of all of them because they've been selling a lot better due to the TV series being out (which one customer in my store told me was absolutely terrible and not really worth the watch).

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yohn wrote:
Celes Tilly wrote:

In all honesty, I really am enjoying them. Usually books written in first person are a turn-off for me, but these weren't terrible at all. I'm anxiously waiting to get the 3rd book from work as we've sold out of all of them because they've been selling a lot better due to the TV series being out (which one customer in my store told me was absolutely terrible and not really worth the watch).

What's not to love about Sookie. :D

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Yohn wrote:
Celes Tilly wrote:

What's not to love about Sookie. :D

They twangy accent they gave her in the TV show. XD

Nah. I'm not bothering with the TV show right now. I really enjoy Sookie as a main character, which I often don't do (okay, I like main characters well enough a lot of the time, but they're often not topping the "favourite characters" list.

Surprisingly, I really like Sam. I hope I'll still be liking him as the series progresses. My book should be in Monday and I'll hopefully *crosses fingers* have it unpacked before I get off the clock.

ThricebornPhoenix

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Yohn":2u5trllf]Usually books written in first person are a turn-off for me

Is there a particular reason for that? I've actually grown quite fond of first-person narrative lately.

I've been reading [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Brief_History_of_Time:2 u5trllf]A Brief History of Time[/url:2u5trllf], in one of my rare forays into non-fiction.
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
Yohn

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="ThricebornPhoenix":2yp5b037]Is there a particular reason for that? I've actually grown quite fond of first-person narrative lately.

Edit: Blast it all! I need to get used to the new forum controls. D:

I find a lot of authors get too repetitive when it comes to first-person novels (in particular). I now repetition is a literary device that when used well can make things quite interesting, but I find that it quite a few authors can't pull it off in a way that doesn't drive me nuts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: