Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tales of Vesperia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the look. I can't deny that I'm excited for this game. I still haven't finished Lost Odyssey, though. I'm on Disc 4, I just need to sit down one night this week and play it out. I promised myself I'd finish that before I got a new console RPG.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sticking the Guy clone on the front, when at best he might be a temp, is a tad weird though.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am loving this game. Played it all night. It's pretty much fixed all my issues I had with Abyss and Legendia. Hopefully it stays this good throughout.

It turns out that my love for Tales hasn't diminished, I just couldn't get into Legendia or Abyss at all.

+ Really interesting story and characters. The main character Yuri, just as I knew when I first saw him when the game was revealed months ago, is really something special. The guy is a sarcastic, positive, all around good guy without being a total goody goody. Yuri's an everyman. I never get tired of him and he's immediately likable. The character interaction is really swell so far. Estelle, like Yuri, has her own thang going on. She's a typical princess, but her naivety is taken into overdrive so she can be an amusing character. Repede is a fucking dog with a pipe. HOW CAN YOU HATE THAT? I can go on too! This cast is wayyyy better than Abyss', or any other Tales game's so far for me.

+ Excellent script so far, that doesn't throw a bunch of stupid terms in your face at all times (Abyss), or have retarded story scenes in general that make you want to turn the console off (Legendia). Not only this, but it's really funny too. I've found myself laughing more than a few times, not only because of the script but because the character interaction. It really stands out and the characters are immediately likable. Yuri throws rocks at guards in the face in order to get by them, Estelle tries hitting Yuri in the face with a vase when they meet, and even the battle victory dialogue and skits are well done too. "You'll never beat me in 100 years." "Is this because you're...older?" "Not really."

+ Battle system. I could not get into Abyss' or Legendia's. The characters weren't fun to use, their move lists were boring ect. In this game however, I am even playing as more than the main character. Repede's REALLY fun to play as. Yuri is the BOMB. Estelle's okay, but I'm not a big fan of mage's in Tales anyways.

+ Unlike Abyss, the game isn't hack and slash and button mashing. There are a few variables that make it so that you can't get by with just button mashing, especially on hard mode. One of which is the encounter link system, something I have not heard people even bring up yet in reviews or impressions. If you see multiple enemies on the field, you can bunch them up together and fight them all at once. It's really neat, because you will be fighting an upward of 8-9 enemies at once, and you CAN'T button mash to get by. You have guard and know when to combo. It's REALLY neat and it reminds me of Blue Dragon, although done probably more interestingly.

+ The game gives you a lot of reasons to check out new weapons and have fun experimenting with skills. Some weapons have certain skills. It really reminds me of Final Fantasy IX, and it's sososososo addicting.

+ WEAPON SYNTHESIS!!! Aside from normal addicting item/weapon synthesis, there's a catch in Vesperia. You can learn skills (like battle skills such as backstep, counter, Guard Plus;etc) from weapons. So not only should you BUY weapons but also make them! It's soooo addicting.

+ Music is REALLY good so far, and this is coming from someone who's usually not impressed with Tales music.

+ Voice acting is great so far. I'm not a big fan of this version's intro music, I prefer the Japanese one. I guess I really am a homojapual.

+ Unlike Abyss, the game doesn't feel on rails so far. There is actually incentive to explore. You can find inns on the way to town, or secret items you can't find anywhere else by exploring. They are easily missable if you don't go out of your way either.

+ The game has excellent pacing thus far and starts out with a bang. Unlike Legendia or Abyss, the game doesn't turn me off right from the beginning.

+ The graphics. After Symphonia, Abyss and Legendia's more 3d graphics and art style didn't really interest me. I'm so so glad they brought back the cel shading. This game, is absolutely beautiful.

EXCELLENT art design.

Negatives? Hmmm. The battle controls could be a lot more smooth, but I'm used to them now. Jumping is still weird though.

Color me shocked. Impressed.
glen

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes this game is real great to play.

The fighting secret monsters is just crazy with there high hp and all.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay I haven't bought new release games in forever since I normally get to play them for free, but somehow I can't get my hands on this game, Disgaea 3, or Infinite Undiscovery so I'll have to buy them, they are finally all on sale this week, and I'm trying to decide between one of the 360 games.

I been reading that Infinite Undiscovery is boring, plain, and repetitive, but I always had problems with Tales games. I liked symphonia & abyss enough to play them both for around 20 hours each, but I just get really tired of the over complicated religious concepts & conflicts, I mean it beats me down like no other aspect of any other rpg series... plus the battle system start becoming a drag after a dozen or so hours. Should I expect anything different if I was to get this game?

I got Infinte Undiscovery today for like $39 as the store I went to happen to have it, guess I'll be checking it out for a bit at least. ToV will cost me exactly the same amount, so I'm going to have to exchange one for the other. Based on the critics ToV is so much better I'm finding it hard not to get it, guess how willing I am to do it will depend on how badly the square game sucks.
glen

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find it has better and hard fighting in it then the other tales games so far.

But thats just me.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

is the entire story still completely revolving around some crazy made up religious conflict? I hate that about tales game... Well I'm sure ToV is better than Infinite Undiscovery because it sucks as I took it right back after play for half an hour, I thought it at least looked good based on the trailers but that's not the case, it play okay, though I'm sure that's something that'll get old in a hurry.

Got Disgaea 3 first last night along with some other stuff like DDR Mario Mix and I'm totally out of money, but I guess mario mix isn't even worth the $30 I paid, I'll likely get rid of it to have some more funds, so getting tales is still on the table.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game does not revolve around a false religious cult this time. I quite enjoy it, it's worth the money much more than Infinite Undiscovery. The story is different than most other Tales game so far, which is unusual, because the games almost always borrow story telling elements from previous games-- but that's not the case with this one.

edit: That's not to say that the story is terribly original, though-- it's still a JRPG, which tend to have pretty formulaic stories-- however it's pretty new for a Tales game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
glen

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But if you lok hard enough around in the game you will see players names from tales of the abyss found on signs in the game.

The storys way diffrent then any of the other tales game out there so far.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The story goes back to a Tales storyline in part 2 actually. :P

Clocking 60 hours, I just got Secret Mission 17 the other night and I'm so glad that's behind me. I'll be going for 1000/1000 in my next playthroughs... but I still have about 20 hours to go on my current one.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Prophecy

Local Ruffians!!!!

60970 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blew me away! I loved this game. Really helped the 360 out for quality RPG"s

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angelus wrote:
The story goes back to a Tales storyline in part 2 actually. :P

Clocking 60 hours, I just got Secret Mission 17 the other night and I'm so glad that's behind me. I'll be going for 1000/1000 in my next playthroughs... but I still have about 20 hours to go on my current one.

Haha, well, I can't say this surprises me-- but for the most part, the story is pretty original for a Tales game, especially if you haven't played many of the older ones. :)

Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angelus wrote:
I'll be going for 1000/1000 in my next playthroughs...

I told you it was a matter of time until you turned yourself into an achievement whore. Ha! :twisted:

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally got the game late last week and have been playing it a little bit each day, so far it's not nearly as bad as the other tales games when it comes to over loading the player with extensive information about the game world, however the character development seems a bit lacking early.

I just met Rita in the game and it's going to bother me for the entire game every time she talks cause she's got the exact same voice as Yukari from P3, there's no change at all except this character is much more demanding. I also see that the guy who voiced Junpei is in this game too, but I would think that's not as obvious since Junpei's voice is pretty animated.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just thought I'd mention it if anyone is interested....

Tales of Vesperia is apparently going to the PS3. With additional content
most obviously:
An additional playable character (some pirate dressed girl named Patty Fleur )
All of the main scenes will be fully voiced (I hear not all of them were voiced in the 360 version?)
And apparently....some new hi-ougi cut-ins?
(^ source: Abyssal Chronicles)

Further proof...though there doesn't seem to be anything on it at the moment but...
[url=http://tov.namco-ch.net/ps3/:3uc8ed8h]Japanese site for ToV PS3 version[/url:3uc8ed8h]
not to be confused with
[url=http://tov.namco-ch.net/xbox/:3uc8ed8h]Japanese site for ToV Xbox360 version[/url:3uc8ed8h]

--------------------------------------------
In addition....also if anyone else is interested...
A Tales of Vesperia movie has been announced to show in Japan's theatres Fall 2009 (and it's apparently a prequel to the games...)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: