Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Rachel Maddow Show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: The Rachel Maddow Show Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite political analyst has recently been given her own show, and I highly recommend it. It's creatively titled "The Rachel Maddow Show" and on MSNBC every weekday night a 9 PM.

What I love about her, aside from her beauty, is the fact that she's extremely intelligent, and always asks the questions that everyone else misses, and really makes her viewers think. Like most people on MSNBC, she is liberal, but she loves to debate with conservatives, and even has a recurring section on her show for Pat Buchanan, the most Republican member of MSNBC's news team, just to debate with him on the air.

On a side note, if anyone knows a single girl that is like her, except straight, I'll be your friend forever if you introduce us. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coolio, I like Pat Buchanan a lot as an analyst, he generally rips both sides when they make errors or are acting like fools.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh... are we talking about the same Pat Buchanan? The fool that makes tons of false assertions and errors? The guy that's so far up the republican party's ass that he comes out it's mouth? The guy that was involved with RICHARD FUCKING NIXON'S administration?

Then again, I havent paid much attention much until this election, so he may be less scathingly partisan in a normal environment.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I think you're just a tad biased when it comes to anyone remotely associated with the Republican party past, present and future. Pat Buchanan may be quite the conservative but I've heard him tear down people from his own party for making just asinine decisions that puts the country at risk.

While some liberals will say that everything the Republicans do puts the country at risk that's something conservatives have in common. They also think that everything liberals do puts the country at risk. Buchanan can be partisan like Olbermann and Maddow but he sees stupidity on both sides of the aisle and calls them out on it.

As for Maddow's show, I checked it out the last couple nights but like its opposite on the Fox News her show and Olbermann's have become less about actually discussing issues and all about how can we stick it to the Republicans. Not saying anything is wrong with that if you're a liberal and they seem to cater to that particular group so maybe that's the point of the show, but I can't see them bringing in someone like Obama and ripping him over mistakes he has made in his past.

She is a good interviewer, but having been mentored under Olbermann she's picked up some bad habits from him. Habits and ticks like having a certain snarky attitude when it comes to certain subject matters and individuals that sometimes feel like she's already made up her mind about topics and people being discussed. As a friend of my calls her after seeing her during the past year or so on MSNBC, she's Olbermann-lite.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Well, I think you're just a tad biased when it comes to anyone remotely associated with the Republican party past, present and future. Pat Buchanan may be quite the conservative but I've heard him tear down people from his own party for making just asinine decisions that puts the country at risk.

I'm not biased, I just have never heard him say anything bad about his own party. I must have missed those episodes. Rather, I've heard him defend some of the biggest jackassery I've seen by Republicans on that channel.

Quote:
As for Maddow's show, I checked it out the last couple nights but like its opposite on the Fox News her show and Olbermann's have become less about actually discussing issues and all about how can we stick it to the Republicans.

Again, this isn't something I've seen. Olberman is indeed very liberal, but he still discusses the issues, as opposed to a massive republican propaganda campaign like Fox, which cuts people's mics if they don't agree with what they say. Maddow I REALLY don't see as biased at all, and discusses more issues than any other analyst I've seen. Yes, she's progressive, but that doesn't mean that she's trying to tear down the republican party as much as possible.

And she mentored under Olbermann? Where are you getting that information? She's worked with him, but saying that she's picked up his "bad habits" is a rather biased remark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It might sound biased but I do see some of what she does as being similar to Olbermann. I'm not saying her show is not good. I'm just not sold that their fair and balanced in the way those words are supposed to be used. If you watched the MSNBC footage of their time at last week's RNC it was quite palpable how left-leaning the MSNBC "reporters" have become.

If that is how Maddow, Olbermann and Matthews want to be seen as to counter the O'Reilly's, Hannity's and Hume's of Fox News then more power to them, but don't I find it hard to swallow when people who are fans of the MSNBC crew tell me they're not being biased towards conservatives. All week every news outlet online have been reporting on how left-leaning MSNBC has become and how the NBC news teams with Tom Brokaw being its current leader have gotten just a tad tired of it.

So, before this goes into a major match on who's liberal and who's not and who's wrong and who is right I will say that catering to liberals Maddow's show does it job and does it well. While still early I'll hope that she actually does what you say she does and becomes fair when dealing not just with Democrats and liberals but with Republicans and conservatives.

As a closer I will say that I stand by my comment that she mentored under Olbermann. She was the main back-up host to Olbermann's "Countdown" show whenever he was out doing something else. Prior to her gig backing him up all she was known for was for her radio talk show on Air America which is not what I would call the bastion of fair and balanced reporting and commentating.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love how you're using "Fair and balanced," as if that phrase isn't one of the most soiled phrases in journalism.

Yes, MSNBC is liberal, any monkey could tell you that. But comparing them to Faux News is like comparing a guy that punched another guy in the face to the Devil. Fox news is a business that has put a guy on the air that claimed that the reason the V-Tech Massacre occured was because Cho was a liberal. They've advocated global warming as a benefit to big businesses. They've cut mics of people that don't agree with them. They've called Obama a terrorist on numerous occasions. They've given Ann Coulter air time. What they do isn't journalism, it's concentrated propaganda.

Or has MSNBC done stuff comparable to Fox's sins against journalism, as frequently as they do?

And just because she stood in for him doesn't mean that he taught her everything she knows.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
I'm not biased, I just have never heard him say anything bad about his own party. I must have missed those episodes. Rather, I've heard him defend some of the biggest jackassery I've seen by Republicans on that channel.

During the primaries he was tearing down John McCain, saying he'd only promised "more war, more illegal immigration and less jobs" compared to any of the others running against him.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If that damn Rachel Maddow crawl isn't taken down on the side of the screen I'm going to snap.

That's about all I hate about the show.

I love me that gal. Only reason I ever really made an effort of tune into Race for The White House. That show is good though.

Also it stinks they took the Olbermann and Matthews out of the lead chair. Honestly I don't get this Fair and balanced crap everyone is pushing. Everyone slides one way or another. If you want Fair and balanced, watch C-Span. (Not directing this towards anyone here). I give Fox a pass on being conservative becasue of that but they are also pretty silly. They tend to show their bias more clearly while trying to claim they are fair.

They also tend to cause most of the silly commentator gaffs. Terrorist Fist Jab? They need to be more serious and not let every time, dick, and harry say stupid crap.

But they aren't reporters. Their are four reporters in the main stream (not including late night news) most of the 24 hour cable is COMMENTARY ON THE NEWS. Commentary is it's bias. Why not let commentators comment on news as it happens during the election? I don't get it.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: