Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PS3 Outsells 360 In Europe!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

Can you name a few that Sony has gotten from the 360? As opposed to FFXIII, Star Ocean, Assassin's Creed, etc? The kind of business that Microsoft runs seems to be less on profits and entertainment and more on tearing down as much competition as possible.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and BioShock are two big examples. Really, to say that Microsoft is less about profits and entertainment and more about tearing competition down is a bit naive. Just exactly what did Sony do when it tore down the Dreamcast? The PS2 didn't have a library that was any fun while it was first released. I would say it took them until after the Dreamcast was done that the very good titles came out for the system.

Also, the PS3 is built to be a competition destroyer. Sony looked at the Blu-Ray on the PS3 as a way to steamroll over the competition if and when the format became the standard. It didn't work out that way but that was the idea. Why buy other systems that's not using the next standard format when they had it.

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc...are huge multinational firms. They're in it for the money and will use whatever means available to get it. If people like the games and the consoles then that's a nice bonus. Remember, it was the former head of Sony who said that people would buy the PS3 even if they didn't make games for it.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You heard me wrong. I'm not saying that Sony doesn't like money, or doesn't compete, or that they wouldn't prefer to be on top, I'm saying that Microsoft seems to enjoy tearing other companies apart rather than boosting their own company on their own merits.

The Blu-Ray isn't a way to make Microsoft look bad or steal it's fanbase. It's there to make the PS3 unique and to build it up. They didn't pay the producers of Blu-Ray to keep it specifically out of Microsoft hands - it was Microsoft's own decision to not include it, and if they suffer from it, it's their own fault. I also have always had a MAJOR fucking issue with Microsoft's press releases, which are as bad as Karl Rove's statements, and outright totalitarian.

Anyway, I wasn't aware that Oblivion was ever announced as a Microsoft exclusive - are you sure of that? - especially since it was initially a launch title for the PS3, leading me to believe that it only wasn't multi-platform because th other platforms weren't there yet. I also wasn't aware that Bioshock even was coming over to the PS3 (since my gaming news monkey ditched me.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another thing is Nintendo seems to have gotten their hands on Tenchu 4, which the Tenchu series has been on Sony consoles apart from being on Xbox and I think DS,The way it looks it's a Wii exclusive but I'm hoping it's multiplatform, I really want to continue the story.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Anyway, I wasn't aware that Oblivion was ever announced as a Microsoft exclusive - are you sure of that? - especially since it was initially a launch title for the PS3, leading me to believe that it only wasn't multi-platform because th other platforms weren't there yet. I also wasn't aware that Bioshock even was coming over to the PS3 (since my gaming news monkey ditched me.)

Oblivion was always a 360/PC exclusive. There was never any intention of having it go to the PS3. It finally did arrive on the PS3 a little under a year after its original 360/PC release.

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And Xbox 360 is getting Resident Evil 5, too..You can tell we live in a new age..never before has a Resident Evil title been released on Microsoft, But hey gives everyone a chance with different consoles to enjoy.
Nines

Uno yo besuto washu!

76077 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

The Blu-Ray isn't a way to make Microsoft look bad or steal it's fanbase. It's there to make the PS3 unique and to build it up. They didn't pay the producers of Blu-Ray to keep it specifically out of Microsoft hands - it was Microsoft's own decision to not include it, and if they suffer from it, it's their own fault. I also have always had a MAJOR fucking issue with Microsoft's press releases, which are as bad as Karl Rove's statements, and outright totalitarian.

I would actually have to disagree with that. The Blu-Ray player isn't there to build the PS3 up, the PS3 is there to build Blu-Ray up. The entire system seems to be a bid for Sony to win this new DVD format war (which personally, I think was premature and kind of forced on customers). I believe the real measure of the PS3's success (especially to the Sony board, who are fronting all of SCEI's financial losses) is whether or not the Blu-Ray player becomes a new major source of revenue for Sony, or gets pushed out by some new technology in a couple years (like the mini-disc players did).

Sony's primary goal with the PS3 is to make money, but it's developer costs versus its market penetration are making that more and more difficult to do, especially for third-party developers who often don't have a huge multi-faceted corporation to lean on for extra dough. The Blu-Ray player and its profitability therefore becomes much more important to the PlayStation brand's continued existence. Personally, I think that the Blu-Ray player probably won't be adopted wholesale until a TV that actually derives benefit from it becomes affordable for everyone and not just the technophile market.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fair enough. And for all the bashing I did of it, I do now own a 360.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn Nines, I couldn't have said better myself...though I think you've summed it up in a way that is easy to understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: