Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

MGS4!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I just beat the game today, and I can say that it was definitely worth the money. Probably my biggest complaint is that when you die, it takes you back to the last checkpoint, and you lose anything you've bought or any changes you've made, even if you save prior. Checkpoints are frequent enough though that it isn't a big problem.

Cinematically, the game is without peer. The story seemed a little bloated and too big for its britches at times, but I expected that, since it is billed as the final game to such a storied series. In parts, the story was so complex that I didn't really understand the nuances of what the game was trying to tell me sometimes, but the core ideas and themes got across very well, especially Old Snake's having to deal with issues of age and mortality, which is unheard of in an action game and was done really well (how often do we play as some old guy way past his prime?). The game also had a well done ending, which I think is important in any story and is ultimately what puts MGS4 over the top for me. The final battle is one of the better final encounters I've seen in a game.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

superangelo128

18698 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I beat it recently and loved it a lot! Definitley the best in the series.

I liked a lot of Ocelot's quotes in the game for some reason, he's definitley my favorite character. I like a lot of the gameplay stuff they added. I didn't like the checkpoint thing much either.

And the Solid/Ocelot fight and REX/RAY fights were so **** epic.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man I suck at this game. I think i died in the tutorial mission. -- the first mission after the intro....

You know, I've bought every MGS game and I've never gotten anywhere in any of them. I truly suck at them and don't devote the time to learn how to play them. It does look awesome though... I bought the collectors edition one. seeing as how I own them all I figured it made sense.

But since this is the last one (which my wallet is eternally grateful for) I have decided I will beat this game.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found with the MGS games you really need to get out of the 'kill everyone' mentality and instead focus yourself on achieving your objectives as efficiently as possible.

3297 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

superangelo128 wrote:

And the Solid/Ocelot fight and REX/RAY fights were so **** epic.

Yea it was awesome finally getting to pilot a Metal Gear. It was funny though because Metal Gear Ray was designed to destroy other metal gears, and it is so easy to beat with good ol Rex. Either Otacon is that amazing of a designer or Ocelot sucks at piloting metal gears. Everything about the game was pretty epic though.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fuji wrote:
Man I suck at this game. I think i died in the tutorial mission. -- the first mission after the intro....

You know, I've bought every MGS game and I've never gotten anywhere in any of them. I truly suck at them and don't devote the time to learn how to play them. It does look awesome though... I bought the collectors edition one. seeing as how I own them all I figured it made sense.

But since this is the last one (which my wallet is eternally grateful for) I have decided I will beat this game.

Most Metal Gear games take a tremendous amount of patience because they are stealth games at heart--but I found that in this game, on the normal difficulty at least, you can pretty much shoot your way through things if you so choose, with only a few exceptions. In past games that wasn't even remotely possible in my experience--soon as you hit an alert those guys would come out with the big bullet proof shields and screw your world up. In this came though you have the help of resistance and militia fighters through a significant portion of it.

Once you get the gun shop (which you get very early on) you can get a sniper rifle and just go to town (that's what I did my first playthrough). Also, there are stationary 50 caliber turret guns too and mortars that you can use to mow down pretty much anybody in an alert phase.

Of course, you have to get the solid eye/octocamo and the gun shop to do all that, so no more dying on the first part. :P

Has anybody played Metal Gear Online? I tried it for a little bit, but I'm terrible at multiplayer shooting games like that.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I have problems with the camera the most. I snuck up right behind some guard in the alley. I was fiddling with the camera looking up in the sky and then down on the groun until I ran right into him. I bumped into him and then I died when he called his boys, I tried to hide using that camoflauge on the wall. I didn't realize that his buddy was behind me shooting at me when I tried to hide... so I didn't fool him.

I am that guy who plays FPS and is always shooting the ceiling or the ground. Same goes with this game.... Turns out that I shouldn't be listening to my Ipod because I'd get my life refilled automagically. Weekend is coming up, I'll be at it again then -- thanks for the tips all.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, I believe Camouflage doesn't work if the enemy has already seen you. Not even if one achieves 99% camouflaging.

As for me, I've played and beaten the game, and I must say that I loved it. Probably the best game in the series, with the cut scenes and gameplay being nearly or just perfect. I really need to beat it a second time just to see what else is there in the different areas.

And I also felt that the stealth was kinda put to the side in this game, or at the very least they gave you many options to just jump into the action guns blazing. Hell, you could buy a granade launcher add-on for the M4 and blast the hell out of everything! I kinda wish they had fleshed out the BB Unit a bit more too, though they worked well for me.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently on my second playthrough, now trying to get through it with no kills. That way, I'll get both the Solar Gun and the Bandana. On Big Boss Hard.

And I'll tell you, when you're trying to be stealthy, the only weapons at your disposal being the MK.2, the Mosin Nagant, and a shotgun with Vortex Ring ammo... it's a completely different game. I concluded it's one of the greatest games I've ever played after completing it in 21 and a half hours, but, seeing how many different ways there are to play, it's really hit an upper echelon.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i'm a bit late in this, but i ust finished the game a few days ago. Yay for me! :mrgreen:

Well, here are my impressions on it, though i pretty much agree with what people are saying on this page (i'm not going to look through the rest of this thread):

- As most of you must have felt, this isn't really much of a video game than it is a big-ass movie where you fiddle the controls for some parts and sometimes important parts. I felt that it should have been a bit more interactive, but i nonetheless had tons of fun with it!

- I was having trouble, actually, with the controls a bit. Shooting was a bit cumbersome, but if i didn't get used to it, then i wouldn't have finished the game by now, would I? But there was also the stupid X button. Now that they introduced the crouch- in between standing and crawling- I have trouble cycling through those stances. For example, when i am crawling and i want to crouch, press the X button and i'm stnading up, and evven in that split second, my cover's blown! I don't know if i can get the Big Boss emblem with this problem of mine.

- I love how everything came together, filling in the holes from all three major games, including Portable Ops. I really want to play Portable Ops, actually. Some of the things weren't quite to my satisfaction (SPOILER HERE: Vamp's immortality was due to super healing nanomachines?! Even from a bullet in a head?!?! Come on!!! And i was kind of hoping to see Liquid again, but it turns out to be all Ocelot, but that's not bad either.)

- I rate it very high, like 9/10, but out of the games that i had played (1, 2, 3 and 4) I would rank from Best to Worst 3, 4, 1 and lastly 2. Not saying that 2 was bad, but a few things bugged me about it, but that's for another time.

When i was told that the emblem you get for crawling alot was the Inchworm, i was certain that i would get it, since i was playing first time on Solid Normal :P But i got the Hawk emblem, as well as the Inchworm and Scorpion. Bot bad, if i do say so myself. I'm proud to be a "Hawk", hee hee :D

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best. Game. Ever.

Nope, not even exaggerating. MGS4 is just so amazing that I can't even find a single fault with it. Everything about the game from the cinematics to the story to the music to the acting... all flawless in my estimation.

Each act was something wholly unique in and of itself, each boss battle required a different strategy, each action sequence had me on the edge of my seat... the game was just one iconic moment on top of another for me.

Probably the best part of the game, being a fan of the series, was the fact that it tied up every potential loose end from all the previous MGS games. I was especially surprised to finally learn the origin of the Patriots and who the leader was. It all just made me want to play through parts 1, 2 and 3 again.

It is a bit sad to know this was the final story for Solid Snake, but that doesn't mean there won't be any more Metal Gear titles in the future. They'll just have to find a new protagonist. Or perhaps set the story in the future after Snake dies and unleases the mutant strain of the FOXDIE virus on the world? I'm sure there's a lot that can be done.

Favorite moments (no, I'm not going to say "the whole game" :P ), in no paritular order:

1- Raiden's appearance in South America in the fight against the Gekkos and Vamp.

2- The chase sequence in Chapter 3

3- The BB Corps decimating the PMC's in the Middle East

4- Rex vs. Ray!! :mrgreen:

5- The end sequence at the cemetary (I'll save the spoilers)

Honestly, if you own a PS3 and HAVEN'T played MGS4, then you are mis-using your system. Sony should be allowed to go into your hose and confiscate it as a breach of the Terms of Agreement. This is what the PS3 was made for!!! So put down that copy of Heavenly Sword and go get MGS4!! :mrgreen:

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I finished this last week (I just bought the Essential Collection so I'm gonna play through them all again before replaying MGS4). In my opinion MGS4 is a flawless game. Not my favourite game, but it excels at everything it sets out to do. It would be nice if you could use Raiden's sword as a weapon though.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin wrote:
Well, I just beat the game today, and I can say that it was definitely worth the money. Probably my biggest complaint is that when you die, it takes you back to the last checkpoint, and you lose anything you've bought or any changes you've made, even if you save prior. Checkpoints are frequent enough though that it isn't a big problem.

Cinematically, the game is without peer. The story seemed a little bloated and too big for its britches at times, but I expected that, since it is billed as the final game to such a storied series. In parts, the story was so complex that I didn't really understand the nuances of what the game was trying to tell me sometimes, but the core ideas and themes got across very well, especially Old Snake's having to deal with issues of age and mortality, which is unheard of in an action game and was done really well (how often do we play as some old guy way past his prime?). The game also had a well done ending, which I think is important in any story and is ultimately what puts MGS4 over the top for me. The final battle is one of the better final encounters I've seen in a game.

I beated it 5 times, just recently got the Stealth Camo, next the Bandana , And trying my luck at harder difficulties, And been on MGO, I swear they cheat on there

Oh yeah, most defintely it's filled with cinematics, long ass ones at that, Especially during the Eastern Europe mission, I truly felt like I was at the movies,Well the story had to be bloated to answer and explain questions that fans did'nt understand or were wanting to know in MGS1,MGS2 and even MGS3, I thought the purpose of MGS3 was to show us about how Big Boss became Big Boss, But it went in perfectly with MGS4's story,and alot of speculation about that game was'nt far from the truth when the facts were revealed, The game was pretty sad and emotional somewhat for me, Solid Snake in a sense for me was like a comic book super hero much like Batman, Superman, Spiderman and such, It tore me apart watching him go through the things he did in the game and at the end, I almost cried like a baby lol, And Raiden cheating death 3 times in the game that was to be the first character escaping near death experiences in video game history!

I completely utterly agree with you about the Final Showdown with Snake and Ocelot ( I don't refer to him as Liquid and it was akward hearing them call him Liquid through the game) that was the best boss battle in the MGS series and in video games period in my opinion and with music from the games in the series playing as you fight! As for this being the "final" Metal Gear Solid game, I am skepical of this, Same was said back in 2001 when MGS2 was made and released there would be no more Metal Gear and if there was , Hideo Kojima would'nt be involved, So I'll believe it when I see it, Kojima is planning on retiring so he wanted to shelf Solid Snake, I guess and it's been said MGS4 is the last Metal Gear game to feature Solid Snake was the main character, but I think he's planning on a MGS5 but continuing the story as far as Big Boss is concerned(another prequel perhaps?) BTW, Hideo and David Hayter( Snake's voice actor) will be busy with the upcoming MGS movie.

In my opinion, I think they should have remade the orignal Metal Gear games that were for Nintendo, rather then remaking Twin Snakes(multiplaform Gamecube, PS2 and XBox).
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hold the phone. It may not be over yet...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/902/902836p1.html

Did he slip up by mentioning MGS5 in particular? Possibly! But still... no Solid Snake? No Hideo Kojima??? Not 100% sure about this one just yet. It's still so far away that it can only be a rumor at this point, though.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a rumor, Metal Gear Solid will continue, it's just the last featuring Solid Snake as the main character (I know, it sucks.) But they're talking about making other prequels as far as Big Boss is concerned.

I don't see a war or an act of terroism breaking out anytime soon after MGS4, Since all the guns been locked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: