Suikoden Unique and Informational Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This show has become somewhat of a legend, but it damn well deserves the title. In case any of you have missed it, it's... how shall I put this... Well, hear me out here.

It's a romantic comedy about a boy that moves into a small village and gets involved in the local "Competition club." It's a very cute anime based off a fan made video game of the same title, and you may have heard Rika's famous "Nipaaah~!" somewhere before.

Anyway, the competition club consists of 4 girls and him. So, while there's obviously a connection he has with Rena, there's also a sort of chemistry between him and Mion. Then there's Satoko, who is reminded of her missing big brother when she sees him. Overall a very peaceful and cute show...

...Until they all start to go insane under the curse of Oyashiro-sama. The show is divided up into arcs, with a different person losing their mind each time. These all take place within the same world, so half the fun of the first 6 arcs (the "Question" arcs) is trying to figure out the mysteries revealed in Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai (which contains the "answer" arcs) This is probably the best psychological horror I have ever seen, and that's saying ALOT, since that's my favorite genre. The only show or movie that I can say I am more of a fanboy for is Berserk.

While the anime is exceptionally well done, I kinda wish it had stuck to the unorthodox approach of the game (Which is a visual novel and unreleased in america, though there is a fan made translation project being worked on).

The first two seasons are already out, with the conclusion OVA being released this December.

Here's the OP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHKmiRwyBU

For the hell of it, here's a non-spoiler video of one of the more famous songs from it (the lyrics aren't included in the game or anime.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3RR-J6UUDQ

A scene from the game (Spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC9z4KUj6Q4
They're talking about something morbid, and the main character is confiding in the girl on the phone. That's all I'll say. But Christ that paralyzes me every time.

I also have an AMV that has proven effective in getting people to watch, but is full of spoilers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aesir

Pirates! DESU

352386 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's one of my biggest anime favourites. I love it mostly for awesome characters, definitely one of the best sets of female characters that I ever seen. Non traditional approach to story pacing when fun and happy days filled with nipah, omochikaeri and others ultra cute gestures and comedy moments again and again are being crushed by upcoming tragedy is one of the biggest winning points for developing bonds to the characters, not saying that darker sides demonstrated by some of them are looking very cool as well.

Too bad that translation project for Higurashi visual novel seems to be progressing extremely slowly, I'd love to play that. Currently I'm playing Umineko no Naku Koro ni, the next 7th Expansion series after Higurashi whose translation seems to be going pretty smoothly and the game looks very interesting. Hopefully anime adaptation of it which was announced not too long time ago will come out already somewhere in 2009. I'm very looking forward to it as well as Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei.

As for Higurashi AMVs, here's two my most favourite (maybe a bit spoilerish and some people complain that they're making their heads to explode).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPluQsBK8XY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtoI6nGoOc
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm this close to ending up watching this series, but I haven't yet. I tend to shun overly violent stuff, not because it makes me queasy, but because violence isn't very entertaining.

However, considering how I'm spending more and more time watching stuff on veoh and nicovideo (I rarely go to Youtube), I may end up watching it. I already know a lot of the characters because they get spoofed so much in other media.
Aesir

Pirates! DESU

352386 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Higurashi isn't as bloody as some people may it sound. Yes, the first season has some bloody and gory scenes sitting through which was difficult for me (especially in the 5th arc) but they aren't being positioned as something cool and entertaining (even though some people do like them). Usually I don't like watching bloody and violent stuff (I can't stand Elfen Lied for example) but I found it quite bearable in Higurashi since it was something sad and first of all for a person who commits violence and not usual mwahaha flying limbs and heads are so cool. Actually I was able to watch Higurashi only from the second attempt when I already was heavily spoiled about the characters and the plot. At my first attempt I dropped it after the first arc being totally turned off.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor, the friend who got me into it absolutely HATES overly violent stuff. She's usually the sweet and innocent fluffy bunneys and kitties kind of girl, but even with the amount of violence (which indeed isn't the focus as much as the betrayal as Aesir said) she was able to enjoy it enough that it's her new favorite, overtaking Digi Charat (sp?) and Princess Tutu.

If she can enjoy it, I'm sure you can.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I absolutely love this series and I can honestly say I feel like a more complete person after having experienced this whole story, it's just that good. My only regret is not being able to play through the original sound novels. This plot is incredibly deep, it's mind boggling.

I'm also playing through the 'sequel' to this series, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, which is interesting, if a bit different.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm watching this for the third time now. Just finished the first arc, and couldn't stop crying. This is one of those things that gets more emotional every time you watch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: