Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Tierkreis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah wonderful! Thank you for translating and putting all that info up on the site.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bbsting120 wrote:
Surely they won't keep the German?

Although not by Konami, the Xenosaga games all had German subtitles. It's not like "Suikoden" is an English word, thus it's illogical to think any non-English title is going to be changed to cater to the North American market.

Quote:
As for the name, I just assume they will alter it for the NA market because that's how it usually goes with names that are kinda strange like this one. I could be wrong, but it's just my hunch.

The reason this doesn't make sense is because, in the first post in this thread, John mentions Konami trademarking "Suikoden Tierkreis" in North America.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm excited that there's a new Suikoden, but I'm waiting to judge the game until we get some more information. Here are my initial thoughts:

-The characters look very cartoony to me (at least the younger ones). I loved II's, III's, and V's character designs, and although these look better than I's and IV's, they don't look as detailed and too young/immature (if that makes any sense).
-The settings look incredible, as expected from Suikoden.
-I'm loving the idea of a porpoise race. Although I would like to see some older races revisited, as an aspiring marine biologist and lover of everything in or related to the water/ocean, I'm liking this new race.
-A little concerned about the 4 person battle party. If we have the usual 108 Stars of Destiny, they better give me a lot of customization options so that I actually have reason to switch the party around (unlike 4, where many characters were nearly identical).
-I'm sad that the old MP system is out, but we'll see how this new one works with the Runes (and allowing more than 4 spells might be an interesting concept).
-The graphics look beautiful (even for a DS game), and I'm hoping for some anime cutscenes.
-The storyline sounds intriguing, but I'm a little disappointed that they're introducing a new region. I just hope this region fits in with the already established map.
-The characters look interesting, but I think it's too early to judge anything about them besides their looks.

I'm hoping this is a spin-off. It looks like a great game, but I'd still rather see Suikoden VI on a console and with the usual game-build as I-V have had. They can revamp the system all they want, but I still want the general gameplay (exploring, political war story, recruiting) to remain the same.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Humm... Looks like a neat game. Already I can see it'll be called the worse Suikoden when it comes out... But, If it is actually a lead into the next main Suikoden I'll be more than happy with it.

But it does look like a main suikoden. Which may mean they are looking to down size the series or something for good.

Hopefully not but-

Looks like these will probably be southern nations as well.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there any specific reason to translate SARUSABIRU as Salsaville, except that it sounds funny? It could almost as well be interpreted as SARS-bill (a joke, I omitted the a), or a number of other forms. Konami USA might also adapt the name to something other than "Salsaville".
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sami wrote:
Konami USA might also adapt the name to something other than "Salsaville".

Of course they will but that's their job not ours.

The translation is accurate, as silly as it may be. It's the first interpretation that came out and it's gained rapid acceptance either way.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

-The characters look very cartoony to me (at least the younger ones). I loved II's, III's, and V's character designs, and although these look better than I's and IV's, they don't look as detailed and too young/immature (if that makes any sense).

I wouldn't even say that the artworks looks better than the Suikoden or IV characters boring old Junko Kawano designed, the art style looks pretty bad to me, with characters wearing lots of what seems to be pointless accessories that were mindlessly included for no apparent reason, yet everything appears lacking in details at the same time and doesn't look interesting. (okay there were quite a bit of that in the designs of IV too)

It reminds me of the dumbed down Square handheld games' style of characters like in FF tactics advanced series and the FFXII DS game. Obviously Karori Fujita didn't design the characters here, god I hope after working with Suikoden and Konami for about a decade that she is at least still with them.

The background does look great, at first I thought someone was just saying that because it looks on par with the other PS2 Suikoden games' backgrounds in terms of graphics, but after seeing the screenshots more closely it seems the in game backgrounds have interesting designs, rich colors, and lots of details. I'm sure with all the complains about how backgrounds looked in V, many people would be very happy with this.

I'm not that excited with what I've seen, since so far there's pretty much nothing I loved from previous games I can relate to or count on seeing in this game, and except for the nice backgrounds, the great style of everything shown in V is nowhere to be found. Plus, does the US trademark mean that the game will be released in English no matter what? if not I'll likely import it sooner or later, but right now there's just not that much to be excited about except that it is a new Suikoden game.

Also I was totally expecting this game to be announced at TGS in a few month, but now that it's already out there, I'd think it also means the next official Suikoden (VI) should be in the works. What are the chances we might hear something about it at TGS this year? I recall both IV & V were announced at TGS, were the first 3 games randomly announced during the year? If not, does it mean if we don't hear anything new at this years' TGS, it will have to be another year before we hear about the next "real" Suikoden?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's always many ways a Japanese word can be transliterated into English (as opposed to translation -- which means to convey the accurate meaning from language A to language B).

RURUNOIE was transliterated to L'Renouille, and I posted a theory a while ago about how that can be wrong, and may actually be something more based on H.P Lovecraft's R'lyeh.

The same goes with the "cat that says Sonya." It's a case of the translator transliterating the word instead of translating. Whether to use one over the other requires a translator to know the most common way such words are interpreted in another language.

Is "Star Dragon Sword" a correct translation of "SEISHINKEN"? Well, it is when you look at each individual character, but when using the same logic, the dawn rune would become "Rune of Rising Light" and the dusk/twilight rune would be "Rune of Yellow Darkness" because of the Han characters used for those words in Japanese.

In terms of SARUSABIRU, "BIRU" is nearly always translated as "ville" when referring to a location, unless it's referring to a modern skyscraper in which case it would be a shortened word for "building." However, we know that we're talking about a town/country, so it's obviously not a building. Thus, the only logical translation for "BIRU" would be ville.

As for SARUSA, the most common word that would be used in Japan that would correspond to that sound would be "Salsa." Yes, plenty of Japanese people eat salsa and plenty of people take classes to dance salsa. It's also pretty much an accepted word within the English speaking world, and isn't all that wrong to connect with another English term, "-ville." SARUSA can easily be "Sarsaville" or "Sarcabil" or whatever, but when there's no official translation available, I'll go with the most logical translation.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:

Seriously though, why would all 108 be charging into battle? Wouldn't the shopkeepers and the like stay behind at the HQ?

Well, there is also the possibility of the HQ being also obliterated by the enemy.

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have just read the recent character list according to the scans. Hero dosent seem have a given name, hero's in the main suikoden were not given any names so this could probably be a maing game, rhapsodia hero was given one and in every spinoff the main character was given a name.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like it. I like the fact that it's on the DS, because... yeah, the same reasons DS users like it, too.

- The new race (at least from what I've seen) resembles Atelier Iris' Pengies - except that they're more, uh, aquatic-like. It's all good, anyway. This doesn't look like the race that we'd see carrying huge spears and stuff, so I'm not expecting anything Shiba-like in combat.
- Salsaville.... hahaha. I laughed hard. It's the best name they've come up with, even putting Stormfirst and Forest Village in consideration. I just hope there isn't any major cultural refererence to salsa.
- It has all the makings of a brilliant spinoff plot. Take what the main series had, and completely distort it. It's beautiful.
- I'm going to bet photos of me in underpants right now that Viki and Jeane are in the game.
- This game may turn out to have the best antagonist EVER.... yeah, screw you, Luca. Just a feeling, since Childerich couldn't quite make it. I mean, only lame people rely on drugs.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
This game may turn out to have the best antagonist EVER

My thoughts exactly. If the guy can wipe out a combination that's been successful 100% thus far, he'd better be pretty badass.

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I came back to SuikoX upon hearing of Tierkreis~ I'm liking what i see here and what i have read. The art style reminds of Eureka 7 which doesn't stem far from the alternate fantasy reality universe that Suikoden has established. I find it quite promising and has made me consider getting a DS. I do hope a translation comes soon!

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, I was reminded of Eureka 7 when I saw the character designs as well.

For now, I'm just overly excited at the fact that a Suikoden game has been announced. I especially like the concept of the story's beginning if this is really how it's gonna be. Nice way to freshen up a very traditional element of the story.

And yeah, I'm gonna go pee in my pants from excitement now...
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow. Real news.

So excited.

Anyone seen anything on when the game takes place setting wise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: