Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Are schools slacking or are kids getting dumber?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are so many factors adding into the abysmal IQ of today's youth it's disgusting. My personal opinion is that students are getting lazier and therefore dumber. I also think that parent participation plays a huge role in a child's enthusiasm/commitment to their education.

Using myself as an example I can tell you that I went from being able to read before I could even retain memories, to a lazy teen that could ace almost any test but refused to do class/homework, and test scores alone do not pass classes. A HUGE part of all that was due to the fact that my mother took an interest in how I was doing in school. She taught me to read before any schoolteacher ever even looked at me, and made sure my homework was done every night. And when she stopped caring, so did I. I'm not blaming her, it was my own fault I didn't apply myself (I found better things to do..like play video games. woo technology XD) but it goes to show how a parent's interest can affect a child's school performance.

A unified nationwide school system might help too. I'm no army brat, but I'm pretty darn close to it. I learned my entire multiplication table and how to write cursive in the second grade. And for some reason, there was a repeat of those subjects in the 5th as if though we'd never been over them before. Later, I was able to take pre-calculus with trigonometry in my Las Vegas h.s., but when I transferred to a Chicago h.s., they didn't even offer the subject. However, in Chicago, they make geometry a mandatory class, but in other places you might never have to take it. (I know I never took geometry) There are leagues of difference between the nation's schools. I know people that can't read/write cursive, or have been left geometry-less like myself. It's a pandemic.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordMcDohl

Window-pecking Humming Birds

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

As such, in secondary school, I had to put up with awful teachers who gave us homework but never marked it, teachers who were absent most of the time, teachers who were not interested in their job and the list of transgessions goes on.

Wow, your teachers were surely terrible. I'm from Malaysia too, and I have this Math teacher whom I constantly snigger quietly at when she attempts to teach. She is not able to explain what she teaches properly whether in English or the National language. There was once, a student asked her, " Why must we do it like this?" She answered, " You do it that way because that's the way the book shows it." Today, a student asked the same teacher the way to solve a particular Math problem, I saw my teacher work on it for a while, then she suddenly went and asked my classmate the way to do it. Sure, eventually my teacher managed to solve the problem, but asking your own student the way to do it? Who's the teacher here? This is only lower-leveled Math, if this was harder, students would be able to do close to 0 of the questions in the Math exams.
As to the teachers not marking homework, maybe they can argue that as long as you've done it, it should have helped you. If they think that way, they should consider this, how many students actually do homework to help themselves? They just treat it as a responsibility. The teacher's responsibility is to at least check it once they ask students to do it. I know I wouldn't do my homework if the teacher didn't care.
Your teachers were downright bad, but did you ever get a teacher that seemed dedicated and was very good(not being too strict with students) though she didn't really teach much? My Geography teacher is like that. Just today, she let my class copy 2 notes over the course of two periods(1 hour and 10 minutes). Notes which we could have copied in less than 20 minutes. She kept going on and on about unrelated stuff like some new breed of corn, how one of that could be your lunch, her son's Math results etc etc. When she finally got on with the lesson which was about Economical Activities, she said but one sentence, "Money makes the world go round". Then she suddenly started talking about the school's fund-raising Jogathon. Imagine, I remembered all the random stuff she spouted, while I should have been learning Geography. It really discourages one from learning.
Quote:

His Physics teacher would read verbatim from the book, and she refused to answer any of his questions.

Maybe his Physics teacher didn't know how to answer them.
My cousin had a Physics teacher. Her class tried their best to understand what she taught but to no avail. When that teacher left to move to Rome, the replacement teacher found herself teaching them the whole thing from scratch.
Quote:

it's painfully clear that this in combination with the lack of thinking skills needed to succeed has killed off the curiousity and inquisitiveness of many Malaysian students

Were we ever encouraged to think? I think not. Students here can do well in their studies just by memorising. Curiousity? Sure, students here are curious, but they are curious about the totally wrong things. They are curious about things like "who is coupling with who", "who dumped who" and so on.
*sigh*
I always feel so out of place in my class.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kids are getting dumber because teachers are getting dumber. It's that simple. I cringe at the dependence today's teachers/professors have for their textbooks.
Sir Kan of Grassland

Magicians of Lordlake

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think school are slacking cause most of are teacher. just joke around with us and act like we are dum and stuff and treat us like children even though we are high school kids.

like one time she gave us coloring sheets. Coloring sheets sheet and wile the rest of the kids are coloring away I am working my but cheeks off . So it is the school slacking off not the kids/
Rakuna

Silver Wind

29744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both the kids and the schools are slacking.

Students are getting lazier and lazier. They're usually given plenty of time to do work and study, but the majority (that does include me) spend their time going out to parties, watching t.v., shopping, or sleeping. Kids these days don't use their time very wisely at all. Which explains poor grades. If students would at least spend a little, and by a little, I mean 30 minutes or so, each day to do work and whatever, grades might be better. Not true in all cases, but in many.

Schools are also to blame. Have you ever noticed that some teachers play favorites? Not many, but there are a few who might deliberately lower a students grade because they don't like them. Fortunately, my teachers tend to like me. Then, there are teachers who expect you to do something difficult in a short amount of time, whether it be reading, a project, or a difficult topic assignment. Maybe it would help if their expectations weren't so high. They expect good of us, but they have to be able to work with us... Everyone's abilities to learn are different.

On a side note... I think the way Germans (maybe all Europeans) do their school system is nice. There's a different school for every learning level. Which school you attend depends on your learning ability.
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's more on the part of the kids than on the school system. After all, the schools are there to teach, not to force kids into doing things they don't want to do. And kids are getting more stubborn than before.

One of my classmates and friend went from an A grade student to a student who barely passed within 4 years just because her friends influenced her into thinking that she won't need grades. I haven't heard from her since.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those who can do. Those who can't teach.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've been out of school now for over a year (graduated with my bachelor's in psychology last year), so I can't say what today's schools and students are like. From my experience, I think the schools are mostly at fault, not the kids. The schools care more about information retention and test taking and not about the thought process that goes behind it. I think students would have an easier time with their work if they were given better critical thinking skills.

Schools treat students like statistics: as long as they have x amount of the classes graduate everything is good. So they don't care about challenging each student to become the best they can be, or trying to build intelligent adults. They only care about catering to the "lowest common denominator" in order to achieve the highest graduation numbers. So the "lesser" students get an easy ride while the "higher" students are not challenged to reach their real potential and become bored with school. In the end, no one wins but the schools that get to increase their annual budget.

Of course, I don't TOTALLY blame the schools for this situation. The teacher-student ratio is pretty bad, with some classes holding 50 students. (And I'm talking prep school, not college where you will see auditorium classes.) There's no way one teacher can give each of those 50 students the individual attention they each need in order to make sure they're keeping up with the material. So some will inevitably be left behind, end up failing and getting held back or dropping out. That's just the reality. The ideal teacher to student ratio is 1:15, but it's just not possible in a lot of cases. You have to pay to send your kid to a school where they will receive special attention because state-sponsored schools just can't afford to do it. (Can't hire enough teachers or construct enough class rooms.)

So, I guess the whole system is at fault. I shake my head when I see stupid kids these days, but it's more out of pity than disgust. There will be a percentage of todays kids that will be naturally intuitive and can pick up material quickly, and those ones will have a shot to succeed on their own merits not because of a great school system. But the majority of kids are being set up for failure because learning is not automatic, and schools are more concerned about making the grades rather than helping a child reach his or her potential.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: