Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Geographically speaking: Best/Worst names
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch wrote:
I never liked the name "Grasslands" It's just so damn literal. Love the place though, they have killer weather =P

You have to admit that most of the places have really literal names... Grasslands, Two River, Nameless Lands (although that one is okay), Lordlake and such.

Anyway, as High Commander of the Godwin faction, I want to say a word to Hatted Fortress: Maybe it is done with as much creative energy as a slug, but at least we never pretend to be anything else... The name is straight forward and self explanatory in the best Godwin tradition :)

The Fool
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem, really, is that every village that the majority of the population isn't human in (save - maybe - Two River) is always segregated from every other race, so it always becomes "(X) village/(Y) cave/ (Z) geographical location". Until that changes, I would expect to get used to seeing Dwarf Cave, Kobold Village and co. to continue (with the notable exception of Alseid).
I do think i twould be cool if they made it so perhaps humans referred to it in such a way but that the residents of the land would refer to it as another, but I don't think that'll happen. Although really, what I'd like to see even more is more towns that are racially diverse. Why do all the non-humans always have to be so damn solitary?

Not to keep beating on Suikoden V, but damn, some of the names in it are really uninspired, and the more that I think about it, the more examples I can think of: Estrise ('cos it's in the east, lolz), Revolving Bridge, Beaver Dam...

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually the real problem is how these are referred to in game. I have a distinct feeling that these villages have real names (Such as the elf village from the first game) but that the ignorant humans of the Suikoden universe are just referring to them by names such as "Dwarf village." However, that could be refuted by the fact that the same people who call Great Hollow by its name call the duck village "Duck Village."

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Although really, what I'd like to see even more is more towns that are racially diverse. Why do all the non-humans always have to be so damn solitary?

Because they're always narrowly avoiding genocide?

Except the Naykobolds. Because they're cute.

I don't mind Suikoden V's names so much. Generally boring, but not stupid. Hatred Fortress however, is that guy at the party who goes around telling everyone "Hi I'm a metaphor! Aren't metaphors cool? You're a dick if you don't like metaphors, and I just wanted you to know that I'm a metaphor. So will you go out with me?"

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Crimson_Angel

13285 Potch
60 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Makes you wonder: Hatred Fortress. OK, so I realize the Godwins weren't gonna name it "Happy Feelgood Lollipop Fortress", but damn. In all seriousness, just so uncreative.

Haha. Agreed. And Dwarf village. I know they're dwarfs, and they live there, but come on...way too literal. Couldn't they come up with something more creative than that?

Scarlett moon Empire is great. I don't care who you are, it sounds awesome.

- Auron, Final Fantasy X

"I'm a warrior, not a variety of flower!"

- Vegeta, Dragonball Z
Sierra's sister

Night Wanderer

202901 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Best? Umm...let me see...
-Sol Falena
-Estrise
-L'Renouille
-Sanadia
-Crystal Valley
-Shasarazade (doubt if I spell it right)
-Vinay del Zexay
-Alseid
That's all

The worst...
-everything in SI except Shazarazade. I think they're dull. I THINK. :P

"H-huh? What? I got too many karma???"
-Sierra's sister usual idle banter
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The worst would be the village on the edge of the Great Forest in Suikoden 1. Remember what it was called?

.... :?

Right: Great Forest!! :roll:

Or how about the Kobold village on the other side of the forest which wasn't even named?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: